Ableton Live Pitch Control For DJs

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DJ Ballistic

Ableton Live Pitch Control For DJs

Post by DJ Ballistic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:39 pm

I just read about a new Pitch Control app for Live on Futuremusic's Daily News Blog. It doesn't look like they've reviewed it yet, but I thought I should pass it along for others to check out.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:05 pm

thats great.damn pc only.

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:15 pm

“The way Live/VST deals internally with controller data, it isn’t possible to control tempo in the way pushandpull does from a VST plug-in,"

thats a load of rubbish, i managed to make a tempo nudge using any two buttons (for nudging), and a slider (for the master tempo), but i did need to run it through plogue....

i've downloaded this anyway to see how it works, and since my way can be a nightmare to set up.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Or you could use this Pure Data patch:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 035#233035

Riccardo

Post by Riccardo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:06 am

When I just read this topic I thought, must be another crap, but it works!

Is not just a nudge, when you press and hold the button assigned to push the tempo, Live's tempo starts going up, for example if you are in 133.2 bpm, tempo goes from 133.2 to 139.45 in 1 second and holds there, when you release the buton tempo backs to 133.2 instantly, so if you press the button and release it very fast, almost there is no effect on tempo, so is very precise to use as a pitch bend, I use to have a couple of buttons to incres and decress tempo but this if far better.

Another thing I really like is that I can do this with just my pc keyboard, my controller is in fact a Midi Keyboard (5 octaves) and sometimes in small parties I want to use just my laptop my turntables and my mixr.

I know that you can do stuff like this in pc with reaktor or maxmsp but come on, this is 100%free and ready to use.

l8r and forgive my english

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:25 pm

getting an error trting to DL from his site. could anyone PM me the rar. i am dying to try it.
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

timthib

Post by timthib » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:56 am

It works, but seems a bit complicated to setup. Their midi clips (which you map to your control surface) are sending midi notes from Live to their application, which sends back relative CC to Live's tempo.

The drawback I see with this method is that you can't assign a fader to do your tempo adjustments unless your control surface can send a different CC for each direction of the fader.

What IS cool is the Synthmaker app they used to make this. It's a lot like Bidule, but you can generate applications (.exe's) from the designs you make. Plus they have a bunch of cool ui modules, like knobs and switches to control your device. I recreated a nudge setup I had in Bidule, in Synthmaker and have a nice looking app now.

The other cool idea in their application is using relative CC's instead of absolute like I was using. This basically doubles the bpm range you can use to pitchbend. For example I was using a range of 120.3 to 133.0 giving me 0.1 tempo increments. The problem is, if you are at 133, you can't pitchbend above that. Using relative CC's I can have a range of 113.95 to 139.35 and still have my 0.1 tempo increments, and be able to pitchbend up from 133. Of course in doing this, you have to have your fader send relative CC's or have something to translate the fader movements into relative CC's.

Anyone else have some cool tricks like this to make tempo/pitch bend easier/better?

djthopa

Post by djthopa » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:17 am

it does work well. Little funny in the touch, but easy to get used to it.

Wicked!!!!

laurence

Post by laurence » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 pm

where is it, i cana find it!!!
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:52 pm

timthib wrote:The drawback I see with this method is that you can't assign a fader to do your tempo adjustments unless your control surface can send a different CC for each direction of the fader.
Yep, this is the issue I ran into w/ my Remote SL25. Also, ideally I'd like to assign the push/pull midi clip to the Remote's pitch bend- so I could flick it to the left for a quick "pull," and to the right for a "push." I know, I'm so picky! ;-)

I posted to the smartextensions forum about this, and was told these issues would be addressed in the new release: http://smartextensions.gustavobravetti. ... 215e7fa7db
timthib wrote:I recreated a nudge setup I had in Bidule, in Synthmaker and have a nice looking app now.
Oh yeah?? I'd be interested in that!
timthib wrote:Anyone else have some cool tricks like this to make tempo/pitch bend easier/better?
Yulp, this one was posted a while back, but I haven't gotten it to work on my system yet: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 pm

bradelectro wrote:
timthib wrote:Anyone else have some cool tricks like this to make tempo/pitch bend easier/better?
Yulp, this one was posted a while back, but I haven't gotten it to work on my system yet: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
What's the problem?

timthib

Post by timthib » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:36 pm

bradelectro wrote:
timthib wrote:I recreated a nudge setup I had in Bidule, in Synthmaker and have a nice looking app now.
Oh yeah?? I'd be interested in that!
Trying to figure out a way to save out the CC's you want mapped to push/pull. Right now you have to set the midi in/out and CC's everytime which is a pain. If I figure it out, I'll post something.

Otherwise, if you want the bidule module I made, I can post that too.

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:16 am

Dr. Zoiberg wrote:What's the problem?
I think I need to noodle around with it more- I only had 5 minutes to configure it- not enough time to fully check it out. Thanks for the help tho.

Good luck w/ yours timthib!

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Dr. Zoiberg- Well you asked ;-)

Per your PDF, in PD I assign Media/MIDI Settings/input device= Remote SL MIDI, output device= MIDI YokeNT 1 (I'm on a PC). But then I get this error message in PD: could not open midi input 10 (ReMOTE SL MIDI): PortMidi: `Host error'

In Live Preferences/MIDI I set Control Surface=RemoteSL, Input= MIDI Yoke NT 1, and Output= ReMote SL MIDI. I set a fader on the SL to send CC on 8, and assign that to Live's master tempo. Live receives this CC just fine, however, nothing happens when I move the pitch bend.

FYI my ReMote SL connects via USB not MIDI...does that matter?

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:17 am

You should be fine using midi over usb.

I think the problem is here:
bradelectro wrote:But then I get this error message in PD: could not open midi input 10 (ReMOTE SL MIDI): PortMidi: `Host error'
unfortunately I can't be of much help, I use a mac and never had this issue with PD.