Master Out Ableton PlugInz

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cosmosuave

Master Out Ableton PlugInz

Post by cosmosuave » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:23 am

What Ableton PlugInz do you use on your master out?

I use the following in order.

1. 3 Band EQ
2. Chorus "Flanger setting"
3. Auto Filter "Low Pass setting"
4. Compressor "The Good one"

Thru a jam I'll use the chorus and auto filter thruout the mix and the 3 band EQ. The compressor is always on.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:12 am

None ...
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

montrealbreaks

Re: Master Out Ableton PlugInz

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:52 pm

cosmosuave wrote:What Ableton PlugInz do you use on your master out?

I use the following in order.

1. 3 Band EQ
2. Chorus "Flanger setting"
3. Auto Filter "Low Pass setting"
4. Compressor "The Good one"

Thru a jam I'll use the chorus and auto filter thruout the mix and the 3 band EQ. The compressor is always on.

Utility and EQ4. As for Utility, you never know when that comes handy.

Otherwise I use a PSP-Vintage Warmer VST plug in. Very simple, and pretty damn good multiband compression. Not too many parameters to tweak and it's less processor intensive than something like Ozone or the other high end mastering plug ins.

However, if I ever get that new computer I have been salivating for, I will likely ditch the EQ4 and Vintage Warmer and go with Ozone, since I'll have the processing power to spare.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:15 pm

Chorus and Auto Filter on your master...unusual but if that's the sound you want across your entire mix, do what you gotta do girl! Not Live plugs but on masters I prefer Waves, Blue Tubes or even everyone's recent-fave-rave Blockfish (it's free too!) in various combinations depending what sound I'm after. If you have a half decent mixer you can do nice things using multiple outs from Live and doing a 'real' mix back into Live. Converting sounds to analog will always give them some kind of feel you can never get mixing all-digital. Again, it all depends what you want, what you got and how you use it.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:30 pm

for live shows i always set and forget an EQ-4 (tuned to the room), usually smiley face with about 3db of gain, and i follow it up with a compressor 2, about 1:3.5 with a nice low threshold.

rs

dpel

Post by dpel » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:38 am

magneto

rock.
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:32 am

How do you go about tuning the eq to a room? I have always wanted to know how to do this.

- Nick

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:47 am

One way to do it is to sweep through frequencies of a parametric, with the Q bandwidth up high, and listen for frequencies that are louder (or softer) than others, then cut (or boost) those offending frequencies so it sounds more even accross the whole frequency spectrum....

does that make sense?

every room sounds different, because of shape, speaker positioning etc.... so you gotta just listen and trust your ears

takes a bit of practice...

- am

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:22 am

muthafunka wrote: If you have a half decent mixer you can do nice things using multiple outs from Live and doing a 'real' mix back into Live. Converting sounds to analog will always give them some kind of feel you can never get mixing all-digital. Again, it all depends what you want, what you got and how you use it.
Don't you get latency issues that way? I mean, you D/A convert, mix, A/D convert back into Live, then A/D it again back out to the PA system. If you have even 6 seconds latency, now you're up to 18 seconds, which has entered the noticible range.

Or am I wrong?

BTW, I agree 100% about analog processing. It adds a nice touch. That's getting me to reminescing...

I used to use a MOTU 828 to send 4 stereo channels to an Allen&Heath Xone 464 and another 4 stereo from ADAT to an Alesis AI-3. The AI-3 took the ADAT and sent 4 MORE stereo to the mixer. So, I was having eight stereo channels hitting the mixer from Live. nice!

On the master outs from the mixer, I used a Drawmer DC2476. I will insist to my dying breath that this was the best damn mastering hardware tool on the planet. I shed a tear the day I sold it. I can't say enough about this thing; it even "morphed" between presets and user patches when you changed. The TC Electronics and DBX units all cut out sound for a second when you switch presets or something. However, it had to go - I am getting rid of 99% of my hardware, and I sold it for a really fair price.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

kay101011

Post by kay101011 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:23 pm

only when playin' live: eq4 when it's nescessary, and supa trigga - bypass-button on keyboard-remote
... i mix all the external stuff (909 etc.) on my mackie thru a subgroup into ableton (so i can feed it into supa trigga aswell) and out back to the mackie, and over the masterout to the pa or whatever.
system information:

Powerbook G4 667MHz DVI 512MB RAM
MOTU 828 mkII
OS X 10.4.1
BCR2000

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:02 am

"Don't you get latency issues that way? I mean, you D/A convert, mix, A/D convert back into Live, then A/D it again back out to the PA system. If you have even 6 seconds latency, now you're up to 18 seconds, which has entered the noticible range."

Not really, especially if all sounds are going out to the mixer. The original question was about mastering, not specifically for live use-I was simply talking about setting up for mixdown through an analogue mixer instead of rendering a digital mixdown.
Ask Pitch Black, he's master of the mixer-dub!

kay101011

Post by kay101011 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:15 am

muthafunka wrote:"Don't you get latency issues that way? I mean, you D/A convert, mix, A/D convert back into Live, then A/D it again back out to the PA system. If you have even 6 seconds latency, now you're up to 18 seconds, which has entered the noticible range."

Not really, especially if all sounds are going out to the mixer. The original question was about mastering, not specifically for live use-I was simply talking about setting up for mixdown through an analogue mixer instead of rendering a digital mixdown.
Ask Pitch Black, he's master of the mixer-dub!
my total-latency with this is about 40 millisec, thats ok, i use to play on a 667MHz TiBook.
in the studio i don't use to much mastering-plugins, for compression i used an external comp (focusrite penta), but now i don't even do that, because it's very easy to destroy the mix ... so i keep this work for the professionals.
:D ... i use compression on the drums /blockfish is a good one.
system information:

Powerbook G4 667MHz DVI 512MB RAM
MOTU 828 mkII
OS X 10.4.1
BCR2000

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:07 am

Mbazzy wrote:None ...
Ditto.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

duncjam

Post by duncjam » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:46 pm

I use the Classic EQ and Classic Master Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio. I downloaded the whole Classic Series, they're free from kjaerhus' site and they're all top notch, I just can't praise them highly enough. I think I'll purchase his non-free plugs this weekend. And no I'm not connected with kjaerhus in any way!

duncjam

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:14 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
Mbazzy wrote:None ...
Ditto.
-Paws
Ditto here too ;-)

Usually I rewire Live through Logic and mix it there. Then I'm distributing tracks over the nine stereo channels of my RME Multiface - for summing - and finally connecting the digital S/PDIF out to the S/PDIF in to digitally re-record the mix as a 24 bit stereo file in Logic. This file is then "mastered", i.e. eventually EQ'ed (Firium), mostly compressed a bit (maybe a tiny bit of PSP VintageWarmer and always Logic's Add-Limiter) and dithered to 16 bit. This method means I don't use VST fx in Live, but only Lives built in fx. Other non-Live effects are applied to Live tracks as AU's in Logic, as they pipe in over the ReWire channels.

-pboy
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com