Route MIDI Clip's "MIDI Ctrl | 7" to "Mixer |

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
leinad

Route MIDI Clip's "MIDI Ctrl | 7" to "Mixer | Track Volume"

Post by leinad » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:05 am

Hi,

I'm generating midi files with en external application. These files contain many tracks, and each track contains a couple of notes, and, just as important, controller data for Controller 7 ( Volume ) and 10 ( Pan ) to control the global volume and panning of the notes in that track.

When I drag and drop the mid file into Live, I noticed that I need to manually copy the controller data from "MIDI Ctrl | 7" to "Mixer | Track Volume", and "MIDI Ctrl | 10" to "Mixer | Track Panning".

During the next couple of months I'll be generating a dozen of MIDI files a day, and importing them into Live, each usually containing around 12 tracks, which makes more than 100 copy pastes of midi ctrl data to mixer track data a day, which is unacceptable.

Is there a way to automatically route the MIDI controller data inside the track to Live's track Mixer? Else, what's the purpose of having controller data in a clip if I can't control Live's controls with them?

Regards,
Daniel
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)

roby

Post by roby » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:51 am

unless someone (hopefully) proves me wrong, there's is no way of doing that. The reason is because, Live's track volume and pan control are completely independent from MIDI standard CC7 and CC10 by default. In other word, Live's mixer is not a "virtual MIDI mixer". Live allows you to map MIDI CC controllers to almost anything in the application because it is customizable like that.

So yeah, you will have to assign CC7 and CC10, or any other controller, to Live's mixer manually.

PS, this is also true with any other DAW that let's you assign MIDI to remote control mixer settings...

leinad

Post by leinad » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:11 am

roby wrote:So yeah, you will have to assign CC7 and CC10, or any other controller, to Live's mixer manually.
Wait, I even tried to assign cc7 and cc10 to mixer|track vol and pan resp. by using the mapping button which allows external devices to map it's midi to live controls, but even that doesn't work. It would be a lot easier to tell those two controls to react to midi messages, and they do, but only to external messages, not to messages from a clip. So it's not just assigning, but copy pasting all the curve data.

This is a huge problem for me.

Ideally there would be a routing section which allows the user to choose which clip cc drives what live control, if so desired.

I really need this... ideally it would be a MIDI Effect, so that CC's could be routed to controls in that same track (including Mixer | Track Volume + Pan and any instrument's control). This would allow the usage of presets which yould be exactly what I need.

That way I would only need to drag a midi effect and an instrument into the track, instead of dragging an instrument into the drack and going inside the clip to copy and paste from one control to another...
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)

michkhol

Post by michkhol » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:02 pm

leinad wrote: Wait, I even tried to assign cc7 and cc10 to mixer|track vol and pan resp. by using the mapping button which allows external devices to map it's midi to live controls, but even that doesn't work. It would be a lot easier to tell those two controls to react to midi messages, and they do, but only to external messages, not to messages from a clip. So it's not just assigning, but copy pasting all the curve data.

This is a huge problem for me.

Ideally there would be a routing section which allows the user to choose which clip cc drives what live control, if so desired.

I really need this... ideally it would be a MIDI Effect, so that CC's could be routed to controls in that same track (including Mixer | Track Volume + Pan and any instrument's control). This would allow the usage of presets which yould be exactly what I need.

That way I would only need to drag a midi effect and an instrument into the track, instead of dragging an instrument into the drack and going inside the clip to copy and paste from one control to another...
Actually it is possible using a MIDI loopback device. On Mac it is the IAC Driver. I'm not sure how it is called on PC (MIDI Ox?). The idea consists of three parts.
1. In preferences select the loopback device as Track and Remote.
2. Assign MIDI CCs to desired controls using an external MIDI controller.
3. Send the CC data from your track to the MIDI loopback device.
Beware of MIDI feedback loops.
MacBook 1.83, G5 2.3 Dual-core 1.5G RAM, M-Audio Axiom49, MOTU Ultralite, Live 6.0.7, DP 5.12

leinad

Post by leinad » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:51 pm

michkhol wrote:Actually it is possible using a MIDI loopback device.
I thought about that but that just makes things worse. Too many new problems: one loopback driver per track unless you remap channels or controllers, manual assignment of looped back controller messages to ui controls, no, that's not good.
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)