Digidesign owns Ableton???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
acornblend

Digidesign owns Ableton???

Post by acornblend » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:33 am

Uh.... Is this true?!!?
Wrinkled Mac G4 dual 1.25, Tascam FW-1884, stupid Novation Remote 49, sparkely drumkits, broken studio A/C, and piles of other working junk, etc..

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:53 am

Ableton owns ableton.

its its own company.

the confusion may come in the fact that in several countries -Ableton Live is distributed by M-Audio.

M-Audio is part of Avid group, and so is DigiDesign.

there is a very minor link, but ableton is not owned by digi design.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:56 am

I betcha digi's got enough tied up into Abe's to make a difference in what abes develops.
The M-audio tie in makes it a bit suspect too. It's also why we may not ever see
abes go beyond their current daw capabilities. Hmm.......

Great though ! i hope for hyper rewire support or built into PT LiveX tracks. 8)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:59 am

knotkranky wrote:I betcha digi's got enough tied up into Abe's to make a difference in what abes develops.
The M-audio tie in makes it a bit suspect too. It's also why we may not ever see
abes go beyond their current daw capabilities. Hmm.......

Great though ! i hope for hyper rewire support or built into PT LiveX tracks. 8)
I doubt it, I take the m-audio tie in having to do more with he fact that m-audio makes cheap gear, so the bundles cost less to sell.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:16 am

Well, certainly digi's rewire and m-audio bundles are a big boost to abe's bottom line. We won't ever see abe's losing their license with digi.

They are definitely in bed together, holding hands and making mad cash. Abes would really hate to lose any amount of digi biz and market share, for any reason. imho

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:26 am

Live still doesn't need a big dongle that pretends to be a piece of hardware, so I say no.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Contra

Post by Contra » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:09 am

knotkranky wrote:Well, certainly digi's rewire and m-audio bundles are a big boost to abe's bottom line. We won't ever see abe's losing their license with digi.

They are definitely in bed together, holding hands and making mad cash. Abes would really hate to lose any amount of digi biz and market share, for any reason. imho

if im not mistaken, Rewire is a propellerheads development,,,,,scratch out Digi

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:44 am

Contra wrote:

Correct.

This thread contains some rubbish.

Digidesign and M-Audio are both owned by Avid Technologies. AVid have owned Digidesign for a while and have recently bought M-Audio.

M-Audio and therefore Avid distribute Propellerheads, Ableton, e-Volution, Midiman and a load of others to the UK, US, AUS, and loads of other countries as a distribution chanel.

Thats the tie - thats the link.

Ableton develop their software for us - the users, thats why they have a wish list forum, and also the reason why with each new upgrade you see what the users have been suggesting.

terragong

40 % in us.hands

Post by terragong » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:27 pm

http://www.bankkaufmann.com/a-4860-Stra ... chaft.html

if one uses google germany -key- words ::ableton investor - you get all
the economic infos in german ..use translator tools...

so who is mr. 40% ...son of avid ????

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:02 pm

You bet fellas. Don't get me wrong. I'm guessing I look like a digi fat head or something, (love PT, can't stand the company) but it's the business and money flow chart that i'm musing with.

The propellar heads rewire license must be very small compared to the marketing of abes and digi. It's the rewire relationship and not rewire itself i'm bs'ing about.
All i'm saying is that the relationship between abes and digi is much more than a rewire relationship.

Now it appears that a strategic investor from the U.S. acquired 40% of abes in 2005. It very well could be a digi investment bank. That's a positive for me.

Regardless, maybe Live will get some serious upgrades or maybe a super tight relationship with PT in the near future. But I am only speculating. It's all good. 8)

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:33 pm

knotkranky wrote:You bet fellas. Don't get me wrong. I'm guessing I look like a digi fat head or something, (love PT, can't stand the company) but it's the business and money flow chart that i'm musing with.

The propellar heads rewire license must be very small compared to the marketing of abes and digi. It's the rewire relationship and not rewire itself i'm bs'ing about.
All i'm saying is that the relationship between abes and digi is much more than a rewire relationship.

Now it appears that a strategic investor from the U.S. acquired 40% of abes in 2005. It very well could be a digi investment bank. That's a positive for me.

Regardless, maybe Live will get some serious upgrades or maybe a super tight relationship with PT in the near future. But I am only speculating. It's all good. 8)
Yes, except its Avid technologies, the people who own Digidesign, that the close relationship is with.

They are the ableton distributors - but have no say in how ableton is written, programmed etc.

Avid distribute Ableton.

big relationship.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:08 pm

wilxon wrote:
Contra wrote:

Correct.

This thread contains some rubbish.

Digidesign and M-Audio are both owned by Avid Technologies. AVid have owned Digidesign for a while and have recently bought M-Audio.

M-Audio and therefore Avid distribute Propellerheads, Ableton, e-Volution, Midiman and a load of others to the UK, US, AUS, and loads of other countries as a distribution chanel.

Thats the tie - thats the link.

Ableton develop their software for us - the users, thats why they have a wish list forum, and also the reason why with each new upgrade you see what the users have been suggesting.
M-Audio dissolved their distribution of Propellerheads in the US a couple years ago. I believe it happened shortly before Avid bought M-Audio.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:55 pm

wilxon wrote: Yes, except its Avid technologies, the people who own Digidesign, that the close relationship is with.

They are the ableton distributors - but have no say in how ableton is written, programmed etc.

Avid distribute Ableton.

big relationship.
Yes, thanks for the distinction. That said, I wonder if the investor in abes last year was avid. I suppose it would have to be. Good thing it was 40% and not 51+%, many a company have been scuttled that way. Anyway, it's positive forward investment as I see it and there maybe some nice improvements coming very soon. We just gotta hope the suits make nice choices and don't break off too big a piece for themselves and their investors.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Rewire was developed as a joint venture by Propellerhead (Reason) and Steinberg (Cubase/Nuendo) in actual fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReWire

I have to say that cubase works great with all my rewire stuff from Reason or Live.

acornblend

Post by acornblend » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:24 am

HEY ABES CLARIFY THIS FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!We need an Abe rep to give us the word. I'm sure someone in Germany has read this post and brought it up at work.
Wrinkled Mac G4 dual 1.25, Tascam FW-1884, stupid Novation Remote 49, sparkely drumkits, broken studio A/C, and piles of other working junk, etc..