What is the dopest American city to live in?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:37 pm

CHICAGO, NEW YORK, OR SAN FRANSISCO

For the American experience.

"Every young person should live in New York, and leave before they become too hard. They should also live in San Fransisco, and leave before they become too soft." W. S. Burroughs

great Advice
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:41 pm

In terms of pure diversity and amount of things happening in a small space, NYC is tough to beat. Personally I don't like the general demeanor there, enough to live there.

Austin is very pretty, also very liberal and very Texan at the same time. It's easy to have a good time there.

San Diego has a lot of electronic music happening. Everytime I go I have no problem making friends and finding interesting things to do within a few days.

rs

stegi

Post by stegi » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:51 pm

dgkenney wrote:
subterFUSE wrote:
D DAS wrote: Image

Is that a tuna? :lol:
Nah..it's just a guy in a wet suit.

Dan
.....a fat guy :lol:

tricil

Post by tricil » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:27 pm

SUPERBANANBOMB wrote:I guess I should expand a bit further:

I love intelligent music of many genres, I love variety. I love nature. I hate pollution. I don't drive so public transportation is a must. I like areas that cater to 24-hour lifestyles. I hate living in places where everything closes down at 10 p.m.

I love hip-hop and electronic music as well as funk, soul, disco, etc..

I'm into graffitti art, Jesus and having good times.

Does that help?
ATLANTA!
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Anywhere you go will be very much way more expensive than Indianapolis, I think.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:07 pm

depends on how long you want to be in said city

a few day - Nothing beats SOUTH BEACH...dope clubs, luxury hotels, beachs and hot girls

a few more days SF or LA (I prefer SF)

Atlanta's cool because I'm from the South (mississippi actually) but I have hella relatives in Atlanta

but really - I love Seattle...the only city I actually felt like I had a connection to (I'm a part of this here city)

Don't come here to vacation, there's nothing to do but if you want a cool place to live - move to Portland and come up every now and then

peace

a

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:08 pm

SUPERBANANBOMB wrote:I guess I should expand a bit further:

I love intelligent music of many genres, I love variety. I love nature. I hate pollution. I don't drive so public transportation is a must. I like areas that cater to 24-hour lifestyles. I hate living in places where everything closes down at 10 p.m.

I love hip-hop and electronic music as well as funk, soul, disco, etc..

I'm into graffitti art, Jesus and having good times.

Does that help?
You'd like Seattle

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:09 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:CHICAGO, NEW YORK, OR SAN FRANSISCO

For the American experience.

"Every young person should live in New York, and leave before they become too hard. They should also live in San Fransisco, and leave before they become too soft." W. S. Burroughs

great Advice

I'm pretty sure Burroughs never said that. It sounds more like John Updike.

P.S.: SUPERBLAHBLAHBLAH , stay the hell out my town, you sound like a loser.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

the last one

Post by the last one » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Baghdad.

Though it is starting to struggle with its enforced American-ness.

Contra

Post by Contra » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:24 pm

Adonis wrote:depends on how long you want to be in said city

a few day - Nothing beats SOUTH BEACH...dope clubs, luxury hotels, beachs and hot girls

a few more days SF or LA (I prefer SF)

Atlanta's cool because I'm from the South (mississippi actually) but I have hella relatives in Atlanta

but really - I love Seattle...the only city I actually felt like I had a connection to (I'm a part of this here city)

Don't come here to vacation, there's nothing to do but if you want a cool place to live - move to Portland and come up every now and then

peace

a

why you sellin him short of the truth?
you know you wanna tell him Miami is where its at on the regular, not just for south beach, but for all them spots with cafesito in little havana with my fellow oye's!

oye!

Adonis

Post by Adonis » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:33 pm

I've accidentally spent longer days in South Baech than planned and it was different - that's all different ;)

napalmskatterjazz

Post by napalmskatterjazz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:35 pm

yea, Arizona is hell. spent one year there in school. Hell is right. dont go, you will be even more bored, there are no good drugs, lots of mexiswag and bunk doses(some kids really thought this stuff was lsd... sad) Honolulu is phat, mom still lives there but its too expensive, and you should save places like that to save for special times, not all the time, youll get spoiled.

The best place to live... Portland OR or Seattle WA, Land is furtile and wet, psychedelics are everywhere, The kids in the scene have lots of heart, lots of real liberals trying to change the world. I've lived in Dallas, Austin, Pheonix, Honolulu, Chicago(for a short while), and Portland. Portland is the best,

Oh yea, one more incentive... herb is super dank and supercheap and fucking everywhere. back in may i got busted with over a half O and got charged with nothing, not even a ticket. They took my bag, and wrote me a "notice", but I was not officially charged with anything. freakin dank
2.0Ghz Coreduo PC notebook, 4GB ram, Overclocked to hell sittin on aluminum extra fans w/ no drivebay or pcmcia...
2.8Ghz Quadcore on Asus MB, 4GBRam, Dual 512MB SLI Graphics both @16x.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:42 pm

well considering you were looking for a warm place i would rule out Chicago; I am from there and it is not warm in the winter. If Honolulu is out of your reach then San Diego is a fun city that stays nice year round. There is a fun scene there. Portland and Seattle sure are cool, but warm in the winter? I don't think so. Rain, rain, rain, ice storm, rain, rain, ice storm. San Diego is also cool because you are a nice distance away from LA, but if for some god awful reason you need to go there you are close enough to do it.

oh and the picture, that is a friendly little monk seal. whenever you see one offer it some fish or a little pat on the head. they love it. you can play with them all day.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:55 pm

D DAS wrote:
oh and the picture, that is a friendly little monk seal. whenever you see one offer it some fish or a little pat on the head. they love it. you can play with them all day.
Certainly do seem friendly...
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:59 pm

The only thing that matter is to love where you live, I've talked to guys living in suburban nowhere and they LOVE it, that makes me happy to hear that. I've always admired people who can live anywhere and be chill with it, I can't do that.

Given that, I don't mean to offend anyone with the below:

San Francisco (my town) - moderate weather, amazing food, beautiful, BUT expensive, bad place for a car, great cultural diversity, very tolerant town, access to beaches, mountains, Nevada (gambling). Also, IMO one of the last major US cities to be considered for a terrorist attack.

New York - If it's not happening there, who cares? I'd live there if it weren't one of the few spots more expensive than here, and the weather's pretty intense.

San Diego - another cool west coast town, BUT there's a large military and religious right presence there. beautiful water, good food.

Seattle/Portland/Vancouver - I've only been through these towns, seemed really cool.

Phoenix - no f-ing way, retired lizards wasting away in the constant 85% weather year 'round, it never changes.

Chicago - extreme weather (20 below or 98% humidity), I didn't dig the look of it, ash covered old brick buildings, it's a huge sprawl, never got a taste of the culture there. Chicago is f-ing HUGE!!

Denver - sleepy redneck sports town, some small scenes, mostly suburban sprawl.

LA - even the people that live there hate it, all the 'coolness' is spread out.

Miami - After visiting Florida I wouldn't go back if you paid me, bad food, insects constantly feeding on you, cheeseball retirement state. Clue: any state with a 'Cracker Barrell' off of every exit is a worth leaving ASAP.

Atlanta - Really green area, food culture is non-existent, RACIST CITY, worst driving I've ever seen in my life.

The west coast towns have it, east coast has NYC and Trenton (lmfao!! funny post), certainly the middle of the US if FUCT!

Hawaii is an interesting option... hmmmmm....
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz