Something hosed in Mac OSX 10.2.8 Rewire

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
timwheeler

Something hosed in Mac OSX 10.2.8 Rewire

Post by timwheeler » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:10 pm

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I just installed 3.0.4 and rewire is not working. I load Live! and I get the message that the rewire engine is installed, but when I start Reason, it has audio configured to the soundcard, and there is no Reason input to select.

Also, I can freely quit Live without quitting Reason.

I always start Live! first. I have rebooted.

Me thinks I need to fix a corrupted or missing file.

Anyone have suggestions?

Tim

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:15 am

open live first and then select reason as the input, then open reason.

timwheeler

Post by timwheeler » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:31 am

There is no Reason input, before or after I start reason. It gives me a message that the Rewire master is running, but there does not appear to be one running once live is started.

I just installed 3.0.4, and it still is not working. I think this happened when I installed 3.0.2.

Tim

Flexi

I too am having this problem: No Reason in the Rewire list

Post by Flexi » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:55 pm

Same problem here too: no Reason in the pop-up list: Just "none" or "Master out". I have taken all the precaustions vis-a-vis this website and Propellerheads'. Not a mention of it, even in the documentation!

Is the problem in Reason? I don't have another "Slave" program to try Live with.

A couple of guys need help here!

Thanks!

timwheeler

Post by timwheeler » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:35 am

I suspect some file got corrupted, I just don't know which one. I just don't have a clue which one.

Any ideas?

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:11 am

Are you guys running mac or windows?

On mac os x the first step is to repair privaleges (sp?). If that's done, and the problem still exists, setup a new user account and see if the problem still exits. If not, it means preferences are corrupt somewhere in the original user account and the solution is to trash preferences.

I'm not on windows - yet - so I can't help you out if its a windows related issue.

timwheeler

Post by timwheeler » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:34 am

I think we're both mac.

Where is the preferences file? What do I delete. I'm assuming a new one will be created when I start Live, if I blow the old one away?

Tim

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:35 am

You are correct - a new one will be created when you hose the first one.

BUT

First - Repair priveleges using disc utility program
Then - setup a new user/test account to see if its the privelages in the first place

Finally - delete privelages if it seems to be the case

The privalges are in root/library/preferences
and in ~user/library/preferences

and are designated with preferencesname.plist

If you search under my name, you should find some posts where I detailed mac os debugging - it's been so long, I can't remember exactly all of them.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:43 am

- delete the "preferences.cfg" file from this path:
~user/library/preferences/Ableton/Live 3.0X and restart Live.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:46 am

Also do the same for reason - trash preferences I mean.

Flexi

Rewire problem

Post by Flexi » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:51 am

OK, I tried the New User option (I am Mac OS X Panther - 10.2). Actually went into another User's account and attempted it. New set of Prefs must have been created because it asked to reinsert the Reason Discs and enter the Registration number.

But, alas, square 1 again: same situation.

I notice the dimmed green light in Reason for Rewire, so do I somehow set that? I can't seem to access it within Reason.

Oh, woe is me...

flexi

Trashed both prefs for Reason and Live

Post by flexi » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:46 pm

Thanks for the tips, but not working. I trashed the prefs for both Reason and Live, relaunched and....square 1 again.

Familiar with Reason? The audio out device sits on Audio card(CoreAudio Built-in...). How can I get the rewire to light up? Or, is that for the reversal of Master slave (Live being the slave)?.

Searched under "steve-o", but nothing ultra related.

Thanks

timwheeler

Post by timwheeler » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:51 pm

I too tried this.

Question. Is garageband a live master? I tried to start Live once when garageband was accidently started, and it said there is a rewire master running... That's the only app that I know could be the culprit.

Anyways, quit garageband and restated live and got no error message.

Still... reason does not show up as a rewire slave.

Tim

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:13 pm

I'm going to assume that you guys repaired permissions....hmmmm....trashed the live .cfg file....it means that Live's rewire engine was not properly installed.

In the finder search for rewire. On my system, rewire is located in the following directory

root/library/application support/rewire

If the problem is with live, it means that Live cannot access this directory. If it is not with live, download the free plogue bidule - www.plogue.com, which can also function as a rewire slave, and see if live recognizes that. If it does, it means the problem is with the reason intall. If it doesn't it means the problem is with live. On a side note with plogue bidule you will be able to record VSTi's into live.

in the os x live 3.03 install there is an app supposed to fix any problems that live may have accessing the application support directory called 'Verify Permissions' which is what I recommended doing with the Disk Utility App. It couldn't hurt to run that app as well.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:15 pm

Tim,

i just re-read your latest post. I don't much about garage band, but if you got that error message it *may* mean that Live is accessing the application support directory and the problem may lie with reason.

Have you tried to slave reason to garage band?