nevermind, it is done. mpc is coming home wit me

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:42 am

D DAS wrote:while on the topic of mpc, can any of you fill me in on how i can make my internal memory a blank slate. i have deleted all the factory sounds and midi data but when ever i power it up all the names of the factory program banks are there and the sequences.(no sounds just the names) the sequence names i can delete with the click of a button but i can not figure out how to get rid of theprogram bank names. i want everything (sequences and programs) to show as being unused unless i put something there.

i asked over at the mpc forum but got no love.

thanks

d~
Go to LOAD, the mid right you will see A.LOAD, press F4 and set it OFF, press F5- ENTER.
I still use Autoload ( card or HD) and SAVE ALL (project) when I am working on something, so MPC will starts exactly the last session.
BTW. Get the HD kit, it is only 20, I put old 30G Toshiba that was unused for past few years and now have everything I might need, and more there. Also easily can do double or triple backups.
Last edited by rikhyray on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:45 am

nice post rikhyray, everyone really.

I watched some videos on beat making on the mpc1k and it looks pretty straightforward, I've played with mpc2ks before, years ago and still have an S2800 collecting dust. The videos made me think I could drop a beat into a few Simplers and rack 'em or put them in different tracks, same input and bang on keys. In simpler you'd get a lot of the same controls, pitch, stretch, filter, etc, then some, less some. I guess it really does come down to the playability of the box, on top of that it's a well designed box, fun to play. Hardware is better than software, to a point, software is more tweakable, eg. new versions of Live.

Damnit, if I wasn't cooking a turkey today this post would be "Just got back from Guitar Center with my mpc1k" now I have all day to think about it.

My last hesitation is gettting into ANOTHER toy, I'm just getting over the Live 6 learning curve, and I'm getting a midi guitar as soon as I can get to a store an hour away.

Shit! I just got some money to play with, that's not an issue, when I saved away I knew I was going to spend it all or most on gear, just being the cautious buyer. An mpc is something I've always wanted.

You know, writing this out on a board is only making me talk myself into it. Gotta stop. ;)

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:35 am

After having my MPC 1000 from some months now....i have started to using it as a simple perfomance tool/instrument:
Some times i just loop a beat and scratch over it for an half an hour...
Sometimes i just load a drum program on my mpc and start to play it, without sequencing or recording anything...after i while you will come with Bass drum, hi hat, snare, freestyle combination...now i can just play simple drum beats for a minute with nice variations and everything...is like playing an instrument...and you will learn a lot about how drums should be really played/programmed...!YO!

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:05 pm

I've been using Guru - and it's great (but not quite there yet). I've been thinking of picking up an MP1K for a while now, but I was wondering if it allows you to "auto assign" pads.

For example, on guru, I load up a 4 bar loop, let's say, then Guru chops it up (in 16ths) and assigns the hits in order onto the 16 pads. Then I play and rearrange the hits however I want (mpc style playing). But I don't like having to set up a clip and record into live (I'm not sure why though, I think it's just a workflow thing).

(1) With the 1K, would I be able to: drag a loop into MPC from pc, chop it (into whatever # of slices) and then auto assign to pads? Or, would I have to assign each hit onto a pad?

(2) How exactly would I transfer a loop from my pc into the MPC? It this easy and quick? One of my biggest fears is buying the MP and realizing that it takes HOURS to import, assign to pads, etc. I know that all of the loop editing, etc. would be done on my PC. Any info would be nice before I drop the benji's.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:19 pm

When you load a sample in to the MPC (you can do it through USB or just sample it) you can slice it in how many parts you want (with the new OS there is Autochop too) and after you can make a program out of it.
The MPC will automatically spread your chops in order on your pads.
BUT if you slice something in a pc and after you want to import it in the MPC you can:
1-Load the different samples through USB and after assign them to each pad
2- Use a small application called BlueBox to make your programs (pad assignements) on the PC and after load all the program on MPC.
Anyway the second option does not take so long...

But you can also use MPC to trigger samples in GURU, recording midi in to MPC and you will find your drums having a different feel...
I sold my Trigger Finger...no regret on that... :)

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:52 pm

Thanks Deck - very helpful. I've been itching to pick one up. You just pushed me over the bridge. :D

Thanks to Stale as well...

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:34 pm

rikhyray wrote:
D DAS wrote:while on the topic of mpc, can any of you fill me in on how i can make my internal memory a blank slate. i have deleted all the factory sounds and midi data but when ever i power it up all the names of the factory program banks are there and the sequences.(no sounds just the names) the sequence names i can delete with the click of a button but i can not figure out how to get rid of theprogram bank names. i want everything (sequences and programs) to show as being unused unless i put something there.

i asked over at the mpc forum but got no love.

thanks

d~
Go to LOAD, the mid right you will see A.LOAD, press F4 and set it OFF, press F5- ENTER.
I still use Autoload ( card or HD) and SAVE ALL (project) when I am working on something, so MPC will starts exactly the last session.
BTW. Get the HD kit, it is only 20, I put old 30G Toshiba that was unused for past few years and now have everything I might need, and more there. Also easily can do double or triple backups.
hey thanks. you must have the new os on yours. all i did was turn off auto load and it worked, but i did not do it in the way you described. but it worked so thanks.

ajstrax,

evrything you want is possible. it is very easy to import a loop into the mpc. the easiest way of course is like deckme(n)tal said and just to record it right into the mpc through the stereo or digital ins. the slicing features are amazing in it. or you can just drag and drop it via usb to the flash card. this process takes a minute at most.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:24 pm

I love the smell of new gear. :D

glu

Post by glu » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:31 am

Tone Deft wrote:I love the smell of new gear. :D
Oh snap! Did you get it or what?
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:38 am

Alright. I bit. I picked up a 1K at Sam Ash - got it for $890.00 out the door (decent). I had to do it! :P Once I walked into Ash and began stroking the pads, I had to release and buy it.

Thanks to all you who helped me feed my lust for gear. :evil:

Seriously, thanks for the help.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:04 am

glu wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:I love the smell of new gear. :D
Oh snap! Did you get it or what?
Yep, been playing with it for a few hours. I started reading the quick guide, after a few pages I forgot the guide and have been making a beat, pretty intuitive design. I'll get this down, more or less then update to the other OS.

With the groove and quantise of the box and the pads it's really friendly to just hit record and play. I still haven't transfered data in and out of Live, that'll be cool. I want to take elements of my DJ set and mpc-ise them and throw them back in, could be some killer break fodder.

Shopping report from the Retard Center (GC)
mpc1k $925 (me)
audio tecnica at3035 condenser mic $175 (wife)
ibanez tube screamer $85 (father in law b-day)
Not the best deals but it also feels good to go git it.

ajstrax, we can learn together, hey? first one with the platinum album wins.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:17 am

sweet! cograts you guys. have fun!

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:24 am

here is the free pad editor/program maker i am using. it is for mac/intel mac

http://ieee.usask.ca/members/snorum/

i know there are good ones for pc too but you will need to google them

d~

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:42 am

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:15 am

deckme(N)tal wrote:http://webpages.charter.net/dereese/gary/akai.html
this is for pc....!
I was feeling like a mac guy while looking for ANY PC software. Thank You!!

This box is DOPE, but I've already lost a few beats because I haven't gone through the save process to PC.