BEAT MATCHING AGONIES!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
j4nyc

BEAT MATCHING AGONIES!!!

Post by j4nyc » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:22 am

OK - i don't get it. i have the bpm exact so that the warp markers are on the money all the way through the track. i also have the cue point set exactly on the first beat.

i have it set to repitch the track so that tracks of different bpm will not sound crazy (am i right here??? maybe the repitch is messing me up)

one would think that i should be able to drop a new track in and it wil be in time.

it starts off teh same but drifts.

what gives???

thanks in advance*J*S
Information wants to be priceless.

gaspode

Uhm...

Post by gaspode » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:15 pm

Maybe you aren't getting any responses because nobody knows what you are talking about?

What is drifting... the loops are in sync... outboard gear... the cosmos?

All repitch does it locks the frequency change to your bpm... just like a turntable. You could do the same thing with any other mode and then set the correct transpose value.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:42 am

what gapscode is trying to say in a less than indirect way is, he'd like to help but could you explain your situation a little better? with more detail of what you are doing and what you're trying to accomplish. I'm sure someone will help out after that.

j4nyc

revisit

Post by j4nyc » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:31 pm

ok - here's what i am trying to do:

i have two house tracks that i have imported from vinyl. 1 is 128bpm the other 127bpm.

i am trying to mix one into the next.

i have the warp markers set so that they appear on all of the right beats for the duration of the track.

track one is say 16 bars from the end and i start track 2.
they begin in time but start to drift off-time so that by around 8 bars from the end of track 1 they are completely out of time. ie: drum kicks don't hit at the same time.

wondering how to remedy this so that both will play at the same speed (ie: kicks hit together) and i can mix track 1 out and track 2 in.

thanks,,

*J*S

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:08 pm

Check out wich track goes out of sync with the clicktrack. Be sure that the black loop bar in the clips view starts and ends on a whole bar and check out that the global and the clips quantization are set to 1bar. Warp your track using the tap function and be sure that the 1st warpmarker is set to the 1st offbeat then it should work. Some tracks drift after a break or a fill, some not so set always a marker on the first beat after the break.
I hope this helps you.
Greetings! 8)

paulish

Post by paulish » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:39 pm

steve - is it always best to warp along w/ the metronome? intuitively it makes sense ... but i've been putting on the loop feature and going about 4 bars at a time, making sure all the beats are correct. this is because i'm doing it with music that is a little looser in tempo (ie. reggae and some acapellas).

i'm also very curious as to whether you can warp only a certain part of a song - if its a reggae song, for example, could i let it play as normal, but warp and possibly loop a few bars at the end to mix in another track?

i also asked this in another thread, but what if you *don't* want to beatmatch. is it possible for live to change tempos within the same session? i'm looking at making full-length mixes and would like to incorporate many different styles and tempos. i know people have been very successful using live for djing things like 2 hour house sets without and variation in tempo, but for a more 'studio' mix will it accommodate what i need to do?

thanks - this is all helpful, as i'm just now getting my bearings with live and would like to explore its possibilities much further.

bitesize

Post by bitesize » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:23 pm

yeah that's exactly what i'm into doing too, mix albums that vary in tempo + use a wide variety of styles - i like to start off slow and gradually work my way up in tempo over the course of an hour. i've been used to working solely in an audio editor and i've only got live fairly recently, so i haven't completely got to grips with it yet either, but i've put together a three track mix in one tempo fairly easily.
you can easily just warp one bit of a tune - just chop it where you want to start warping, leave the first bit unwarped + just shift the markers around on the bit you want to warp. automating tempo changes is easy too - just open up the master track + choose 'mixer' + 'song tempo' for automation from the drop down boxes - you can then put breakpoints in the track to control the tempo. so my plan is - warp the intro + outro of a tune, so it fits in with the tune before + after, and while the mix is taking place, automate the tempo to rise gradually from the bpm of the first tune to the bpm of the second. smoooth.

serotoninsteve

Re: ....

Post by serotoninsteve » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:01 pm

paulish wrote:steve - is it always best to warp along w/ the metronome? intuitively it makes sense ... but i've been putting on the loop feature and going about 4 bars at a time, making sure all the beats are correct. this is because i'm doing it with music that is a little looser in tempo (ie. reggae and some acapellas).

i'm also very curious as to whether you can warp only a certain part of a song - if its a reggae song, for example, could i let it play as normal, but warp and possibly loop a few bars at the end to mix in another track?

i also asked this in another thread, but what if you *don't* want to beatmatch. is it possible for live to change tempos within the same session? i'm looking at making full-length mixes and would like to incorporate many different styles and tempos. i know people have been very successful using live for djing things like 2 hour house sets without and variation in tempo, but for a more 'studio' mix will it accommodate what i need to do?

thanks - this is all helpful, as i'm just now getting my bearings with live and would like to explore its possibilities much further.

Hello Paulish, I warp my tracks like this:
Put your track in a slot, be sure that in the clips editor warp and loop is set to off, then your track is playing at his default speed. Now start Live with the clicktrack and begin to tap in the tempo until it comes in sync with the metronome. Now you see the aproximative BPM of your track as Lives global tempo, set the clip to warp and loop and you will see Lives global tempo apear in the clips editor. Set the loop to 1 bar, delete the 2th warpmarker at the end of the track (if Live has created one) and drag the 1st marker to the 1st offbeat you can hear (BPM stays the same).
If everything goes right the loop plays in sync with the metron. (perhaps you have to make a little finetuning by draging the marker at the end of the loop, BPM will change a litle). Now jump with the right and left cursor through your track always watching the startpoint of the 1 bar loop and set a warpmarker when needed (perhaps every 10 bar, but not to often and after each break) until the end.
Don´t forget to save the clips settings!

You can`t warp only a part of a track, warp mode is always for the whole track!

For accapellas it´s perhaps better not warping them, so they are not affected by the timestretching.

Lives aproach is that everything plays in sync, I don´t understand why you wouldn´t use it!?

As ex:
I mix the song Hella Good (89BPM) with a slow housetrack (128BPM) together (all perfectly warped).
I play Hella Good with about 100Bpm as Lives global tempo (sounds ok) then mix in the house track (plays at 100BPM too) and increase the global BPM while mixing until I am at my 128 BPM. You always have to adjust the tempo in function of your track, imagine playing a HipHop track at 130 BPM or a techno track at 90 BPM does sound a bit strange!
If you use a midicontroller you can easely assign a knob to control your BPM, in arranger view you can set your max and min BPM.
Hope this helps.
Greetings! 8)

paulish

Post by paulish » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:41 pm

i'd like to resurrect this thread, as well as address some thing that steve brought up.

first of all - i understand the concept of playing everything in sync and how this can work over an extended period of time. however, the concern that i brought up (as well as someone else previously in the thread) is that this approach can VERY easily detract from the music itself. frankly, beatmatching shouldn't ALWAYS be used to go from one genre to another - this can get tiresome for the listener and may create discordant transitions from one style to another. (this is all just my personal philosophy, however).

so while the tools of live will be a great help in putting together unique, seamless blends, i'd like to know that it will also allow me to use the program for a simple transition from one thing to another. i've thought about how to do this - maybe record several short sections, render them all to disk as individual sub-mixes, and then plug them all back into a new session, unwarped, with whatever extras i plan on putting in.

nondestructive editing or not, i think speeding up tracks so drastically for the sake of beatmatching is a little contrived and may end up sounding a bit amateurish.

-------

i've also run into problems beatmatching though. it seems as if the tracks i import, even though already warped, don't necessarily conform to the global tempo and cause ugly trainwreck mixes that disrupt everything in the session. i have a good understanding of most of live's functions, but this is one thing i haven't quite mastered yet. am i missing something painfully obvious? i shouldn't have to re-warp all my tracks to do this, should i? for the record, i operate almost exclusively in arrangement view, so this may have something to do with it.

what am i doing wrong? i got live for this very purpose, and now that i feel comfortable enough with it to move on to longer mixes i hit a speedbump with the mixing. please help!

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:20 pm

paulish:

1)
with regards to transitioning from one track to another without beatmatching, have you considered simply turning the "warp" option off for the sample?

that would get you to the point of not having the destination track sound silly. the only other task would be getting from this track to the next track, assuming you wanted to resume beatmatching at that point.

that would be fairly easy to do as well i think: you could just manually set Live's global tempo to whatever the tempo of the unwarped track was.

2)

when you say the tracks are already warped, do you mean that Live has warped them automatically? if so, this warping is far from perfect and that could explain the trainwrecks...

rs

paulish

Post by paulish » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:48 pm

for the response ryan. to answer your points -

1. yes, i have turned the warping option off for certain samples, but you're right - it does create problems in getting back into beatmatching mode. this was a question i had in another thread - is it possible to only warp certain sections of tracks? say a looped outro of a jazz or reggae track? if i warp the entire track but only reset the warp markers of this section, will the rest of the track inevitably conform to a potentially unnatural global tempo?

2. no, i have warped the tracks myself in previous sessions. one track i'm working with, for example, is an acapella/instrumental blend i put together and warped perfectly. maybe i should go back and check whether i saved everything in the sample and go from there.

but that leads me to another question - if i warp a track, the warp markers shouldn't have anything to do with the global tempo, right? as in if i warp a track in its original tempo of, say, 95 bpms, could i import that into an 88 bpm session without having to redo anything? will live make the necessary adjustments automatically? i certainly hope so.

i've got the day off today and plan to work at this a bit. i'm learning live on my own bit by bit, and getting more comfortable with it by the day, so it's possible i'm just making a rookie's mistake and will get the hang of it in no time. we'll see ...

bitesize

Post by bitesize » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:17 pm

just so i've got the question right, what you're trying to do is: play through one track at it's natural tempo, then bring in a second track over the top near the end, the second tune being faster than the first. so you just want to speed up the end of the first track to match the intro of the second. is that the thing?

what i'd do for that is: turn on the warp for the whole tune, but like you said, just move the markers in the end section that you want to speed up. set markers at like 4 bar spaces or more if necesary. live's tempo should be set to the tempo of the first tune (so it plays at normal speed). then at the end of the tune, automate the tempo to slowly increase til you get to the tempo of the second tune you want to bring in over the top. then start the second tune, or for a better mix, do the same process in reverse for the second tune - just warping the intro + start it from the point you starting speeding up. then you've got a mix that's smooth + slowly speeds up from one tempo to the other. it probably won't work too well for tunes that vary wildly in tempo, but it's pretty damn good for small bpm changes (i don't like going up more than a few bpm in one mix).

this is all just theoretical at the moment, as i've only got live fairly recently and haven't started on my new mix album yet, but that's the kind of principle i used on my first two mixes + they worked really well. i just put them together in a bog standard audio editor with no automation, just manually time stretching tracks to fit with each other. for an example, and for a bit of blatant self-promotion, my first mix went out on coldcut's solid steel radio show last year - there's an archive on the solid steel website. i'm not sure if my mix is still available since it was a while ago, but any of the mixes on there usually demonstrate a similar kind of principle. my mix was broadcast on 14/07/02 - look for the mix by 'bubble bus' (which is the name of my band).

anyhow, in theory live should make the process a lot easier than i had to do on that mix, removing the hours of work i had to do trying to get tracks to fit together. my only concern is as someone said up there, how to get back into beatmatching at the end of the next song. if it drifted in tempo at all then its beats won't match up with the beats counted by live. anyone know how to make them fit?

j4nyc

Post by j4nyc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:37 pm

thanks for all of yolur help - i have a few extra questions:

sertoninsteve wrote:

"Check out wich track goes out of sync with the clicktrack."

what is the clicktrack and how would i check out which track goes out of sync using the clicktrack?

"Be sure that the black loop bar in the clips view starts and ends on a whole bar and check out that the global and the clips quantization are set to 1bar."

ok, starts and ends on whole bar but what is the global and clip quantization exactly. i am guessing global is the value at the top control bar in live3. (the one next to the play, stop, record buttons)

"Warp your track using the tap function and be sure that the 1st warpmarker is set to the 1st offbeat then it should work."

when you say i's offbeat do you mean the snare after the kick drum? what does this do exactly?

"start Live with the clicktrack and begin to tap in the tempo until it comes in sync with the metronome."

what i did was start the track playing and start the metronome. then did you mean to tap in the tempo by using the TAP button. when i tap the TAP button the whole tempo changes. isn't the idea to tap it so that the track plays at the same tempo as the metronome? how would you do this?

"Set the loop to 1 bar, delete the 2th warpmarker at the end of the track (if Live has created one) and drag the 1st marker to the 1st offbeat you can hear (BPM stays the same)."

how do i set the loop to one bar? the 2th warpmarker = the 2nd last warp marker? to delete the marker do i just double click it? to move the first one do i just double click the 1 marker and move it 1/2 a beat to the right?

"jump with the right and left cursor through your track always watching the startpoint of the 1 bar loop and set a warpmarker when needed (perhaps every 10 bar, but not to often and after each break) until the end."

what do you mean by 'always watching the startpoint of the 1 bar loop'? should i set a warpmarker even if it lands on the beat?

"at the end of the tune, automate the tempo to slowly increase til you get to the tempo of the second tune you want to bring in over the top. then start the second tune"

what if i want to mix it live? when you say automate isn't this refering to the arrangement view when you would be making mixes at home rather than live?

thanks so much for your help.

*j

bitesize

Post by bitesize » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:39 pm

j4nyc wrote:thanks for all of yolur help - i have a few extra questions:

what if i want to mix it live? when you say automate isn't this refering to the arrangement view when you would be making mixes at home rather than live?
yeah, i was kinda talking about a mix made in the studio like a collage rather than live dj-ing, but you can do the same tricks live. you can click + drag on the tempo display to change it, or even better, map it to a midi controller. you can also set the range of the tempo changes by changing the min + max tempo on the master track. then when you get to the bit where you want to start increasing (or decreasing) the tempo, just start turning the controller knob til you get to the target tempo. i haven't tried it out live from the session view, but i can't see why it shouldn't work...

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:46 pm

Hello!
"Check out wich track goes out of sync with the clicktrack."

what is the clicktrack and how would i check out which track goes out of sync using the clicktrack?

It´s the metronome, just an other word!

"Be sure that the black loop bar in the clips view starts and ends on a whole bar and check out that the global and the clips quantization are set to 1bar."

ok, starts and ends on whole bar but what is the global and clip quantization exactly. i am guessing global is the value at the top control bar in live3. (the one next to the play, stop, record buttons)

You can set the clips quantization to global, so it starts the same as the quantization at the top controll bar in Live, but you can set the quantization of the clip to what you need (it´s in clips settings down on the left) for yust the one clip without affecting the global quantization!

"Warp your track using the tap function and be sure that the 1st warpmarker is set to the 1st offbeat then it should work."

when you say i's offbeat do you mean the snare after the kick drum? what does this do exactly?

"start Live with the clicktrack and begin to tap in the tempo until it comes in sync with the metronome."

what i did was start the track playing and start the metronome. then did you mean to tap in the tempo by using the TAP button. when i tap the TAP button the whole tempo changes. isn't the idea to tap it so that the track plays at the same tempo as the metronome? how would you do this?

Go to your tracks folder, delete its .asd file created by Live in your previous warp session!
Now drag your track from the browser into a slot and let Live create a new .asd file!
Play your clip, it plays at its original tempo, but you don´t know its Bpm yet!
Enable the metronome, it clicks now at the speed of Lives global tempo (130BPM perhaps) but out of sync with your track, now begin to tap in the tempo of your track. Lives global tempo changes now to the tempo of your track, but your track still plays at it´s original speed and the metronome comes in sync with the beats of your track.
Now press warp (your track now gets warped at Lives global tempo, not perfect yet but a good startline) ,loop and drag the end to create a 1 bar loop from warpmarker 1 to not warpmarker 2 and drag the 1st warpmarker to the first (off)beat that is the bassdrum and not the snare!
Listen to your loop. Is it in sync? Perhaps drag the 2 th marker without doubleclicking it (your clips BPM will vary slighly) to the beginning of the 1st beat of the 2th bar until your loop turns round with the metronome.
Click in the waveform and jump with the UP and DOWN keys (sorry not R L) to the next bar, listen, look and go on, put a warpmarker every 9bars adjust when needed and go on.

For short loops Live creates a warp marker at the start and one at the end,but usually not for longer pieces, but if delete the marker at the end by doubleclicking it before you try to adjust the markers between them.

Just do it like this and you can warp a track in couple of minutes!

Greetings! 8)