dj dangermouse

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bitesize

Post by bitesize » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:36 pm

i really liked the grey album, despite rather than because of jay-z. besides, as the neptunes have shown us, there's a real fine art to making someone shit sound ace. although i find with them, it just makes me wonder what they could do if they teamed up with someone like mos def or saul williams or someone, y'know, good. it's a simple idea, but it might just work.
Last edited by bitesize on Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:48 pm

digg the neptunes comments--regaurdless of the naysayers, they make some fat beats and tracks that have authentic old school flavas and great production. Yeah, they should team up with a talented singer/mc...BTW have you heard Black Jack Johnson--Mos Def, Doub Wimbish, Will Calhoun, Bernie Worrell, and Dr. Know---they are the shizznit, I hope their album comes out soon!

Ryan

bitesize

Post by bitesize » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:38 am

nah, haven't heard any, been waiting for it forever, can't wait for it to finally come out... been hearing about that, a new solo album and a new black star album all imminent, but still we keep on waiting... can't believe it been like 5 years since black on both sides came out...

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:43 am

Unfortunately all the animosity around this "release" have made an excellent samll label like 8bitrecs close shop :
GREY MARKET MP3S: Perhaps there is no such thing as a free MP3. Thorsten Sideboard, who founded the 8bitrecs.com netlabel, got back to London after a recent trip to the U.S., only to find he'd lost his job. Why? Because 8bitrecs.com had participated in Grey Tuesday, the web activist event late last month, in which almost 200 websites around the world made DJ Danger Mouse's Grey Album available for free download. And 8bitrecs was hosted on the server of Sideboard's employer. Make that ex-employer. So, although 8bitrecs.com has hung the "closed" sign, Sideboard's Highpoint Lowlife label is hosting a select number of free MP3 song files. Among the most recent is a highly recommended pair by Fisk Industries.
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

res

Post by res » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:03 pm

Ok, i hope i am not the only one who thinks DJ Dangermouse's "Grey album" really sucks. His beats are of the crappiest sounds quality and there are pops and skips throughout the cd. Secondly, alot of the samples dont even go together harmonicly, its a jumbled mess of sound sometimes. OH!! and, on the jay-z song "My First Song", he tries to use a 4/4 beat behind 3/6 vocals. ITS SOUNDS LIKE CHAOS!!! I would rather listen to the black album any day.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:28 pm

i think it's great that it introduced plunderphonic-type ideas to a larger audience.

I've talked to several people who didn't know what a mashup was before the grey album, and now they've done some investigation into one of the only truly underground music forms that exists right now.

However, the album itself wasn't terribly strong IMO.

Then again, it was originally made as a short-run novelty promo. So, my guess is that not a lot of mastering and polishing went into it at all.

$0.02,
rs