Using Live as linear multirack in studio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:03 am

I use Live for production and recently for performance. The arrange view is as traditional linear sequencer as you can get. It is what I use for all my music making.

The session view however adds a wrinkle no other program can match. DJing your own tracks with other commercial tracks, cutting them up remixing them...etc.

Live can be anything you want it to be.

rdolmat

Post by rdolmat » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Wow!

What a helpful forum. Thanks so much folks....now I'm sort of reconsidering using Live as my main DAW but it almost seems impossible to NOT use Live for something!

I'll probably just rewire into Cubase or Sam 9!!!

Been playing with the demo quite a bit and can't put it down!
---------------------------------------------
www.digitalsoundmagic.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:58 pm

rdolmat wrote:Been playing with the demo quite a bit and can't put it down!
*creepy voice*

welcome . . . brother.

:wink:

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:18 pm

dj superflat wrote:shouldn't that be joey nickels? or is it not an annie hall reference?
My full name is Joseph Grady Nickel so yes, its an Annie Hall reference a friend gave me years ago. Needless to say, it stuck. J5C for short.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:57 pm

rdolmat wrote:Wow!

What a helpful forum. Thanks so much folks....now I'm sort of reconsidering using Live as my main DAW but it almost seems impossible to NOT use Live for something!

At the end of the day, it is not about features for most people, but for whether it clicks with you. Some engineers, who count every minute by the dollar, will need exactly the features they need. But for the performing musician, feel and creative impulse is everything, and that is why I use Live.

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:15 pm

I have worked with a number of different programs (including Sonar and Cubase). I will tell you that Sonar and Cubase definitely have more comprehensive DAW features compared to Live. What Live offers in my opinion is the feeling that you are working with a true musical instrument. I think of myself as a musician - not an engineer - and the way Live works definitely appeals to the way I work. If I came at making music from more of an engineer perspective, I have a feeling Live would annoy the hell out me. So what is best for you really depends on how you make music and the way you think through the process.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:01 pm

rdolmat wrote:Wow!

thats exactly what you should do use it as a rewire instrument at first and then you never know you may end up using it for all your work.
HA HA HA :twisted:

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:05 am

bump
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

rdolmat

Post by rdolmat » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:33 am

Pitch Black wrote:
rdolmat wrote:Been playing with the demo quite a bit and can't put it down!
*creepy voice*

welcome . . . brother.

:wink:
NNNNOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............

:)