Again: Group solo like in Cubase

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Yeh

Again: Group solo like in Cubase

Post by Yeh » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:32 am

I've had two wishes for Live 6. The first one was a professional mixer showing levels and peak levels. It does now and this is very handy. :)

The second wish did not come true: Group solo like in Cubase, one click soloing of all tracks that have their output linked to a 'Group' track.

In Live it's possible to send the output of several tracks to the output of one other track, grouping them like in Cubase Groups. In this way I can control the volume of a drum or synth group with one slider. Sometimes I want to solo a Group track. In Cubase it's enough to just solo the Grouptrack, In live I have to solo all the tracks in this group. I wish the Cubase option would be there in Live too. :?:

(To avoid the same confusion I had earlier about this topic: I don't mean the DJ option for a separate headphone mix. That's a different principle.)

Regardz,

Jos from Ravenglass
www.ravenglass.nl
Kind regardz,

Jos
http://www.portonova.nl

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

musick

Post by musick » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:52 am

Hi Jos,

This is a much requested improvement. IMHO the current group solo behaviour is a bug, it makes working with busses very unpractical. With this bug fixed and 'Folder Tracks' added (to overview large amounts of tracks better) Live is almost suitable as a main DAW :)

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:34 am

you can turn off solo in place & group using sends, that way you still get the solo working. Its not ideal though as you get all the sends left on whereas you might only want the group. This has got to be a priority surely...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:39 am

That would fix it for simple routings.
But what about signals that are routed all over the place?
Hitting solo would solo everything.

I guess thats the reason why its not implemented yet.

A new type of audio track (mix bus?) would do the trick imo.
So that eveything linked to that track would solo.
It wouldn't mess up old sets and it's about as straightforward as you can get.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:15 pm

aand again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again

[/robert smith]

Yeh

Post by Yeh » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:19 pm

[quote="Meef Chaloin"]you can turn off solo in place & group using sends, that way you still get the solo working. Its not ideal though as you get all the sends left on whereas you might only want the group. This has got to be a priority surely...[/quote]

Sorry, I don't understand this. :?: Can you explain how you do this? :roll:

Regardz,

Jos from Ravenglass
www.ravenglas.nl
Kind regardz,

Jos

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Bump for the Solo.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:09 pm

Yeh wrote:Sorry, I don't understand this. :?: Can you explain how you do this? :roll:
sure...which part though?
You can use sends as groups, its my preferred way. Just create a send, set the group channels to sends only & turn up the send knob on each track full. Then turn off solo in place under options & you can solo one of your grouped tracks & the group bus (the send) will stay on. This way you can kind of have the normal group functions with a solo. Its the closest way ive found to having proper groups but its not perfect. Gets annoying if you have for example Impluse outputted to individual channels & then those channels assigned to a group, you have to solo both the Impulse channel and the individual channel.

musick

Post by musick » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:13 am

Chris J wrote:Bump for the Solo.

Yeh

Post by Yeh » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:39 pm

[quote="Meef Chaloin"][quote="Yeh"]Sorry, I don't understand this. :?: Can you explain how you do this? :roll:
[/quote]
sure...which part though?
You can use sends as groups, its my preferred way. Just create a send, set the group channels to sends only & turn up the send knob on each track full. Then turn off solo in place under options & you can solo one of your grouped tracks & the group bus (the send) will stay on. This way you can kind of have the normal group functions with a solo. Its the closest way ive found to having proper groups but its not perfect. Gets annoying if you have for example Impluse outputted to individual channels & then those channels assigned to a group, you have to solo both the Impulse channel and the individual channel.[/quote]

OK I understand, but I use Group solo a lot on drums with different outputs like in Impulse, so it's only partly usefull.

Thanx for explaining :)
Kind regardz,

Jos

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:10 am

musick wrote:Hi Jos,

This is a much requested improvement. IMHO the current group solo behaviour is a bug, it makes working with busses very unpractical. With this bug fixed and 'Folder Tracks' added (to overview large amounts of tracks better) Live is almost suitable as a main DAW :)
Like I've said so many times before... a fully functional "group track" feature as well as a "folder track" feature would totally make me kick Cubase to the curb and only work in Live. Yes, you may already have my business, but I would love to be monogamous with my DAW.

Landser

Post by Landser » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:16 pm

+10
Any responses from Ableton?

Soma

Post by Soma » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:48 pm

donnydonny wrote: Like I've said so many times before... a fully functional "group track" feature ...
You mean like this?
Create "Group" from track selection

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Since I didn't want to wait for Live 7 (not knowing if it will even have group solo), and priority for me is to get some work done now, I went and bought this:

http://www.vertexdsp.com/products_faderworks.html

Does a great great job. Highly recommended!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:18 pm

:lol: :lol:

Just assign the same midi button to multiple solo buttons.
It'll save you 53€ ^^