Novation Remote 25 w/Live 6 : How is it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ethios4

Novation Remote 25 w/Live 6 : How is it?

Post by ethios4 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:02 pm

I am going to finally buy a keyboard controller, and I've decided on the Novation Remote 25 (not the SL, just the older plain old 25...don't need another audio interface, and I like the older layout anyway). Yes, I've searched the forum using the crappy search function...

So, any longterm Remote 25 users want to tell how they like it so far?
Any issues come up in Live 6?
Is it somewhat durable?

So far, the only real problem I've seen is that it may have trouble getting enough power via USB to boot up, but it looks like a 9v battery will help that.

Nev

Post by Nev » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:30 pm

No problems here.

Just kept me live 5 map and all seems fine so far.

And yes good call on getting the older Remote 25, cheap as chips now and better spec'd imho.

Nev :D

Desved

Post by Desved » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi Nev I have the same remote 25

did you map that yourself or did you got a template from somewhere?

thx

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:56 pm

Remote 25 here
good quality and long lasting

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:00 pm

No problems with the Remote except it's easy to lose the rubber tip off the pitch bender.
Novation has the best tech support.
Remote runs off USB no problem for me on two different lappies.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:49 pm

I ordered mine yesterday from Amazon Marketplace for $230...should be arriving early next week!

I'm stoked about it....haven't had a keyboard controller in years and I just now it's going to blow up Sampler!

Dang, I should probably get a powered USB hub now...

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:40 pm

I love my old remotes. I have a 25 and a 61 and they have the best unweighted keys that I've seen so far. If you need the portability, the 25 is a good choice. But 2 octaves simply aren't enough. Especially if you want to play something that is not in C major, minor, ... That's why I bought the 61 later. Works nicely with Live 6.
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:17 pm

Finally got my Remote 25 in....it is sweeet! Seems very well made, and packed with features.

Question : Is the pitch bend supposed to spring back to the middle?

I have the mod wheel spring figured out, but I'm surprised that the pitch bend doesn't reset to the middle.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 pm

ethios4 wrote:
Question : Is the pitch bend supposed to spring back to the middle?

I have the mod wheel spring figured out, but I'm surprised that the pitch bend doesn't reset to the middle.
Isn't it configurable? I think you might flip a switch or something physical to stop it from springing back.
It's in the manual.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:11 pm

The problem is with the pitch bend, not the mod wheel. There is a switch on the back to turn the spring off/on for the mod wheel, but not the pitch bend.

So, if I pitch bend up it stays up and doesn't return to the center position. With no center-return or center-indent, it makes it hard to know where the center is so that things are in tune, and not slightly bent.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:26 pm

That sounds broken. The pitch bend (side to side travel) should spring back to center. :(

If you bought it 2nd hand - out of waranty - I would open her up and see if the pitch bend spring/rubber band/whatever they got in there has been dislodged, possibly during shipping.

HTH, the R25 has been a solid piece of gear for me.
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.4.1 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:04 am

ethios4 wrote:The problem is with the pitch bend, not the mod wheel. There is a switch on the back to turn the spring off/on for the mod wheel, but not the pitch bend.

So, if I pitch bend up it stays up and doesn't return to the center position. With no center-return or center-indent, it makes it hard to know where the center is so that things are in tune, and not slightly bent.
Oh right sorry I get it.
Novation will probably walk you through fixing it, second hand or no.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:10 am

ethios4 wrote:There is a switch on the back to turn the spring off/on for the mod wheel, but not the pitch bend.
omfg I never knew that, coo-ool.

I dig mine, it works great with a BCR, I use it for the track levels, shuttle controls and a readout on the automap settings. Funny, I'll automap with the BCR and SL, read the mappings on the SL LCD while using the knobs on the BCR. SL, Live and BCR all update knob settings, the SL being USB powered is groovy. The only mod I made was to put cable tie downs on the USB cable so it would stop popping out. It could be made smaller but it fits nicely into a standard carry on luggage (the ones with wheels and a long handle.)

Biggest con are the drum pads, completely too stiff, too much so to even launch clips with them.

Build quality isn't THAT bad, if you pull on knobs they come off. I think the thing here is that Novation rushed these out the door, some units had drum pads wired backwards, some had knobs that would come off real easy. I think the problem SLs have been sorted out, maybe look out for this BS if you buy one USED.

Oh, and it seems the LCD's quality is getting BETTER with time (?), fewer lines and gobblygook on it.

It could've been made smaller, I've never heard of anyone using batteries, more lines of automap would be wicked.

Keys feel pretty good, there's aftertouch. Editing it is easy with or without a computer.

If you have the money and feel good about it, I don't see a reason not to get one.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:54 am

Pitch Black wrote:If you bought it 2nd hand - out of waranty - I would open her up and see if the pitch bend spring/rubber band/whatever they got in there has been dislodged, possibly during shipping.
Yep, that was it! I popped her open and found the simple little wire spring had come loose. Easy fix! It was cool to see whats inside a MIDI controller too (not much).

Whew! I thought for a minute this almost-perfect controller had a fatal flaw of not having a center-return for pitchbend!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:49 pm

Well, so far the ReMote 25 has been easily the best MIDI controller I've used. It's sturdy, and is a pleasure to use and configure. Lots of options and everything is surprisingly intuitive.

The X/Y pad is freaking awesome, espeically with Live's X/Y effects. The joystick is fantastic. The knobs, faders, keys, and chasis all feel very sturdy.

I haven't been able to get the endless encoders to work quite the way I was hoping....I wanted to be able to use them to scrub the loop across a sample. I think part of the problem might be that Live does not support the ReMote 25 as a control surface. Oh well, it still kicks ass as a controller!

I highly recommend it as a keyboard-based controller!