TORQ IS OUT!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:57 pm

a little quote from the ms pinky website
One example of an application that was created using MsPinky's MPVT object is the product "Torq" from M-Audio. Another great example of a DJ-oriented application that features Ms Pinky's vinyl control is djDecks. To see how Ms Pinky's vinyl control can be used for the purposes of video scratching, check out Neuromixer and Grid2, both created using Max/MSP/Jitter.
So I'm buying ms pinky :wink:

robin

Post by robin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:02 pm

Nixon wrote:a little quote from the ms pinky website
One example of an application that was created using MsPinky's MPVT object is the product "Torq" from M-Audio. Another great example of a DJ-oriented application that features Ms Pinky's vinyl control is djDecks. To see how Ms Pinky's vinyl control can be used for the purposes of video scratching, check out Neuromixer and Grid2, both created using Max/MSP/Jitter.
So I'm buying ms pinky :wink:
djdecks is PC only though, I think.

genshi

Post by genshi » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:12 pm

FrancodeLeon88 wrote:
So, let me just clarify...is it true that you can NOT use vinyl control when Torq is in Rewire Slave Mode to Ableton?
Still double checking on this one...
FrancodeLeon88 wrote: Second, just in case I misunderstood something, for Torq's Sampler, what is the sample length limit for incoming recordings (such as a microphone source)?
As big as your harddrive can handle. No limit.
FrancodeLeon88 wrote: And third, like Serato or FS, can you then assign that newly created sample to both vinyl controlled decks simultaneously?
Not sure I understand why you would want to have one sample assigned to two decks simultaneously, but Torq has 16 sample slots and each one can be assigned to either deck 1 or 2 via the QuickScratch buttons; each sample cell has two QuickScratch buttons so you can assign, for example, Sample 1 to QuickScratch 1, Sample 2 to QuickScratch 2, Sample 3 to QuickScratch 1 and so on, then, assign Deck 1 to QuickScratch 1 and Deck 2 to QuickScratch 2 and scratch away your samples!

You can download the manual here:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/ma ... G_EN02.pdf

Also, if you haven't seen it, here is Chad, the Product Manager of Torq, demoing it:

http://www.gearwire.com/mov/MAudio_Torq.mov
Last edited by genshi on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm

genshi wrote:
No it is NOT TRUE. You CAN still use Vinyl Control to scratch and Ableton Live will capture your "scratchin'" performance. (that was sort of the whole point with this application)
please explain how to use control vinyl in Rewire mode

thanks

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

genshi

Post by genshi » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:54 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
please explain how to use control vinyl in Rewire mode

thanks

a
Actually, my bad... I just double checked and that seems to be the one limitation due to how rewire is implemented in general. So no scratching while rewired (I was mislead because in the video with Chad, he mentions towrads the end that once rewired you can "record in any of your own your scratchs", etc.)

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:57 pm

weak :(

Well instead of focusing on the problem we need a solution

who would have to program their app to allow this to happen?

M-Audio?
Propellerheads (rewire)
or
Ableton?

curious
Ableton | Elektron

Music

genshi

Post by genshi » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:05 pm

djadonis206 wrote:weak :(

Well instead of focusing on the problem we need a solution

who would have to program their app to allow this to happen?

M-Audio?
Propellerheads (rewire)
or
Ableton?

curious
Propellerheads unfortunately, it's a Rewire thing. The work around would be to have someone do up a Max/MSP thing to get this to happen... maybe the Ms Pinky people have a solution?

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Anyone care to discuss the benefits/short comings of Ms. Pinky vs. Torq and vice-versa?

I'm getting one of these in the next couple of months, most likely torq - but I don't know a whole lot about Pinky. Plus I get all cross eyed when I read about anything having to do with MAX.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Oh, and incase anyone missed this link earlierin the thread, there is an on-going Torq discussion going on here:

http://www.prodjforums.com/forum/showth ... ge=5&pp=20

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:56 pm

IS Serato not being discussed here purely because of the cost?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:58 pm

Having toyed with Torq I'd say the benefit is the audio interface

it's set up for digital dj action - you can use it with Ableton - run lines 1 and 2 out A and 3 and 4 out b and you're mixing LIVE

granted you can do this with any 4 out sound card - this one is just set up to make it easier - I like it

Torq the application is cool - never fooled with anything else so I'm limited even in my bias

but it works - after a couple tweaks I'm up and running, nicely

the program itself sounds really good (AND LOUD)

I think you have to buy some extras for PINKY (like preamps for your turntables)

I figured less clutter is worth the extra $50 dollars to get TORQ - I'm still in "learn to use" mode and I don't have a laptop (but will)

I say Torq
Ableton | Elektron

Music

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Patch wrote:IS Serato not being discussed here purely because of the cost?
I am pretty sure that with Serato, in-order to properly calibrate it, I would need to spring for new decks as well. My decks are about 10 to 15 years old and I'm not able to adjust the height of the tone-arms. I remember seeing somehwhere on the SSL site, throuble shooting or set-up, that these adjustments were needed as part of a proper claibration. I will get new decks at some point but can't afford to spring for both serato and new Techniques at this point.

So.... as far as I go, Serato is out of my price range for the moment. But, $200-300 US is a nice price for what looks like a worthy alternative with Torq. And, form what I have read there is no claibration involved with Torq, plug and play.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:09 pm

djadonis206 wrote:I think you have to buy some extras for PINKY (like preamps for your turntables)

I figured less clutter is worth the extra $50 dollars to get TORQ - I'm still in "learn to use" mode and I don't have a laptop (but will)

I say Torq
Yes, you are right about the pre-amps. Good point about the clutter as well. My current work room is dirt small.

Johnny-come-lately

Competition is good!

Post by Johnny-come-lately » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:48 am

Competition is good!

Check this out for kicks as well.

www.numark.com

It appears that it was just announced. Would like to see video of it in action, as I can’t use the demo on my current computer. Because of this, and what I have seen from Torq, I would have to say I am leaning in the direction of Torq if I go this direction.
Good times for DJ’s. Guessing that both of these will have controllers by Christmas.
What’s next? I can’t wait to see it.
A little about myself in this thread after Sales Dude McBoob asked for more information after reading my signature at the time after I started a stupid thread: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=#295839

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:05 am

So can you at least disable rewire mode in torq so that you don't have to close ableton first every time you want to open torq?
Professional Shark Jumper.