The ability to assign tempo (bpm) to a pitch wheel...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Jinsai

The ability to assign tempo (bpm) to a pitch wheel...

Post by Jinsai » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:57 am

While the program DOES allow you to do this, I cannot seem to figure out a way to assign the neutral setting of a pitch wheel/stick to a pre-set tempo/bpm... It seems to always reset the tempo to 130 BPM when I let the wheel go to its neutral setting.... If I could assign the neutral/center setting of the pitch wheel/stick to, let's say, 95 BPM, I could bend/alter the tempo up or down (to create a rushing effect or follow along with a live drummer) all the while relying upon the neutral setting to bring the song back to its starting tempo... I don't know, perhaps there is a way to do this (and if anyone knows, please say something!!!!)... I'm very new to this program.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:51 am

Can't check it here, but when assigning the pitchwheel and choosing "relative" as cc type [ dropdown bow left under ] ... doesn't it revert to the initial value YOU defined ?
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Re: The ability to assign tempo (bpm) to a pitch wheel...

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:07 pm

Jinsai wrote:.... If I could assign the neutral/center setting of the pitch wheel/stick to, let's say, 95 BPM, I could bend/alter the tempo up or down (to create a rushing effect or follow along with a live drummer) all the while relying upon the neutral setting to bring the song back to its starting tempo...
I don't have Live on the computer I am using right now, so this is from memory and might be a bit off.

Go to the Arrange Page. Check out the master track, and select tempo for automation. It should be in your manual how to do this, it may be under the 'mixer' set of parameters, or 'master'. I can't recall.

Anyways, when you have Tempo selected to automate, there is a maximum and minimum tempo that will appear. A View range so to speak. Set the max and min so that the tempo you want is EXACTLY halfway between them. For instance, upper range 100 + lower range 90 = middle 95 bpm. Assign the tempo to your pitch wheel, and bob's your uncle.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:38 pm

mbazzy and guest, I hope you're both right - that would be fantastic - making it possible to mix properly with vinyl.

I've suggested before that if you could use the pitch wheel to 'nudge' and 'brake' the tempo you could use it more like vinyl - so you can set another controller knob to be the actual tempo control - same as a turntables 'pitch' control, then you can use the pitch wheel to push the track forward or slow it temporarily to get it in time

but if you can change the relative value or whatever, then you basically already can!

can't wait to get home and try it!

cheers

Jinsai

hell yeah!

Post by Jinsai » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:07 am

Man... I love this program and I'm getting alot more out of this forum than I expected to...This is all enormously helpful. You guys are great.
-----------------------
"that's one more kid who will never go to school, never fall in love, never get to be cool, so keep on rocking in the free world" - N. Young

salt

tempo control

Post by salt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:49 am

There is a 'wish' here, though, for all of those of us wanting to use live like a third (fourth/fifth/sixth etc..) turntable. It would be great if ableton made it possible to assign two midi controllers (e.g. pitch and mod wheels) to tempo, with the mod wheel working like a turntable's pitch control and the pitch wheel working as a nudge/brake control. I realise that is what the guest two posts up is suggesting, but it's not yet possible, as far as I can tell. I would pay a lot for this feature, I used to use live in DJ sets but I have stopped because it's just too hard to match tempos, particularly if I'm DJing alone!!
Orion Edgar
Salt DJs