Mac-Switcher,...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
2ndSoul

Mac-Switcher,...

Post by 2ndSoul » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:27 pm

Hello Mates!

I have a PC-Laptop (1,7 GHZ, 1024 MB Ram) and now time comes for a new one.

I think about switching to Mac, but do you think i need a MacBook Pro or is a "normal" MacBook with the following details enough for me. (Making music at home, palying up to 20 live-gigs a year):

13" MacBook (White) - 2,0 GHz Intel Core Duo
Teilenummer: Z0D5
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW) 065-6231
2 GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1 GB SO-DIMMs 065-6305
60 GB Serial ATA-Laufwerk 065-6226
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 065-6307

I think i will get double performance instead my PC-Laptop and a MacBook Pro will be more expensive than € 1500,-- than the other, below postet Version. At my live gigs i only use Audio Loops,... Plug-Ins are only running at home when i create my sounds to avoid troubles with the CPU on the stage,...

Regards to all!

:D
MacBook Pro 2,16 GHZ, Live 7 Suite, SonicCharge Microtonic & Synplant, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, ESI- Near05, AKG 271, Novation Remote SL 25 Compact, AKAI MPD32 (hopefully soon AKAI APC40 & Live 8)

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 pm

Do not buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro right now.

Wait a little bit.

Core 2 Duo models will be out soon. You'll kick yourself later if you buy now.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

2ndSoul

Post by 2ndSoul » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:39 pm

You mean the the quad-processors coming soon?

Do you thing generaly a "normal" MacBook was enough for me?

Thanks a lot :)
MacBook Pro 2,16 GHZ, Live 7 Suite, SonicCharge Microtonic & Synplant, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, ESI- Near05, AKG 271, Novation Remote SL 25 Compact, AKAI MPD32 (hopefully soon AKAI APC40 & Live 8)

zappen

Post by zappen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:03 pm

i think he meant this

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:21 pm

Owning a MacBook 2Ghz myself, I frequently seem to find myself involved in disputes with 'PC boys'. Of course, I'm a relatively new Apple 'fanboy', having owned this computer for around two months. Actually, I received this computer from an insurance company, due to unfortunately urinating on my Dell Inspiron in my sleep. To be honest, I felt that despite not having a computer for three months, I ultimately ended up with an incredible computer. I'll never buy a PC again, OSX is an amazingly slick and user friendly operating system - though Windows still has it's benefits for the control freak g33ks amonst us...

As for Apple Hardware, and their company in general, you hear a lot of problems with them. At risk of sounding like another Mac fanboy, if you go on Dell's forums you'll see thousands of complaints about faulty Inspirons, Dimensions and everything that is both inbetween and inside these relatively complicated and fragile machines. The nature of all computers, since their conception, has been that they are prone to problems and unfortunately do not possess a capacity to fix themselves (wouldn't that be nice?).

In my short time on this earth, I've owned eight computers (two of them returned and refunded), from an Escom P75mhz to a Duelcore 2Ghz MacBook. To be honest, most of them have experienced problems at some point accept for two models, the first one (the p75 is still very much alive and well, though the 1GB hard-drive is somewhat inhibiting!) and a Gateway2000 p233 which is still fullly functional. My Dell died a quick death, but it had a fair few problems like overheating and shutting down. My latest desktop (ok it's really my mums) seems ok but I found it to feel awful and cheap accept for the display; the keyboard, mouse, tower etc all felt poorly produced. My Inspiron 5100 despite the over heating felt like a sturdy latop, the latest Inspiron line feels cheap and looks horrid, as well as having piss poor battery life and being heavy and bulky. I'll never buy a Dell again.

Erm anyway, rambling now. My point is no company can yet produce a product line of perfect units. But in my opinion, for the price, the MacBook seems like the best allrounder in terms of performance, operating system, flexability (run XP and OSX comfortably), looks, design, weight, size and battery life.

zappen

Post by zappen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:34 pm

never say never....
thank god pc users have lot of alternatives to dell unlike mac users..
please explian me this: due to unfortunately urinating on my Dell Inspiron in my sleep. ?? LOL

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:37 pm

muscleandhate wrote:Actually, I received this computer from an insurance company, due to unfortunately urinating on my Dell Inspiron in my sleep.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:03 am

muscleandhate wrote:...Actually, I received this computer from an insurance company, due to unfortunately urinating on my Dell Inspiron in my sleep ....

excellent

Checkout this MAC REVIEW

http://mikemchargue.com/2006/10/dont-buy-mac.html
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

zappen

Post by zappen » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:39 am

gamebea

macbook

Post by gamebea » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:31 am

I have a macbook pro and I've not had an issue with it. It has been the most solid computer I've owned. The first ones did have a lot of problems. Mac does have quality control problems at times.

I've been astounded by the performance of Live on the macbook pro. I haven't done any tests to see how many tracks of audio/plug ins, and midi instruments yet. But I have loaded up about 15 audio tracks and 6 midi instruments with no problem at all.
It is running as solidly as Logic Pro. And they run together smoothly.

I'm not an expert but from what I understand the macbook pro has more muscle in the video department than the regular macbook but not much more performance differences. (If someone else knows diferently please set me straight.)

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:54 am

subterFUSE wrote:Do not buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro right now.

Wait a little bit.

Core 2 Duo models will be out soon. You'll kick yourself later if you buy now.

when is this goin to be a reality?

december 2006 the latest?

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:24 am

ne core 2 duo on mac, after 2007 !!
Not this year, anyway the improvement its not reaally 1.5 tiomes more faster like apple anounce !

I buy new imac 17 core 2 duo 1.8ghz, the diference with my old model 1.8ghz core duo, its not significant.

If you can wait, shure that be good, but if need now, you can buy, and you not cry when new model be released.

The actual models seleld, have 0 termal torubles, 0 battery problem, 0 crash down...............its a good moment for buy one stable macbook : )

2ndSoul

Post by 2ndSoul » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:48 am

Whu, many oppinions, lucky me my Laptop is still working,...

I think it's the best waiting waiting till next year and see what the future brings,...

Have many thanks for your conments!

cheers, H.

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:01 am

Dj-Grobe wrote:ne core 2 duo on mac, after 2007 !!
Not this year, anyway the improvement its not reaally 1.5 tiomes more faster like apple anounce !

I buy new imac 17 core 2 duo 1.8ghz, the diference with my old model 1.8ghz core duo, its not significant.

If you can wait, shure that be good, but if need now, you can buy, and you not cry when new model be released.

The actual models seleld, have 0 termal torubles, 0 battery problem, 0 crash down...............its a good moment for buy one stable macbook : )
well its not really the procesor im buying.... im also considering the 2nd gen coz i bet they have already figured out whats whong with the current one...
im still not sure of buying the 1st gen.... u cant really tell if u got the grand headache price

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox