Time for an overhaul of the UI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
earsmack

Re: Time for an overhaul of the UI?

Post by earsmack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:26 pm

unklmic wrote:I know that Live's UI is functional and it works, but isn't it time for an overhaul?
Yes! I completely agree that the day before you go public beta and less than a month before release is the absolute best time to change the UI! ;-)

I also agree with everyone else that the UI is great the way it is. Seems sacreligious in this day and age but the flatness of the UI is what appeals to me. Keep it clean and simple instead of shiny and klunky!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:36 pm

Ok, hold on.

I like Live's interface alot in terms of the shapes and placement of things, and lack of cables etc. I hate cables. And I agree that Logic's spaceship looks can get annoying.

But I don't like the colour selections in Live. If only there were better colour combinations and maybe shadings or tints just to make it look a little nicer, that would be great.

I'm sorry, but the rainbow colors and fluorenscent theme which abound in the skin options are simply uglier than my worst nightmares. And though I don't want to see knobs or buttons in Live like Logic or reason, but some more pleasant colors/light shading would be nice.

And continually change the skins because I'm never happy with what I'm starring at.

Live's gui is awesome, but it needs better skins with nicer colors, in addition to the existing ones (I realize the butt-ugly simple five-year-old-kid-drawing-colors work well in a dark club, and so are useful).

But what can I say, it's not like I'm gonna stop using it because I don't like the skins.

regards,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 pm

well I'm sorry, but this is what Live 7 looks like. It's leaked from their graphic department

oh no wait - that's from the parallel universe where Behringer make software ;)
Last edited by Angstrom on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 pm

Did you ever grab klinikal's black skins?

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:well I'm sorry, but this is what Live 7 looks like. It's leaked from their graphic department
Now THAT is funny! LOL!
Last edited by earsmack on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 pm

Poster wrote:
www.djadamjay.com wrote:did you really think i would enable directory listing?
pffffffff.
:lol: :lol: :lol: that one is good!

hahaha, you are like me.... you see long directories and decide to go spelunking!
:wink:

sorry i closed my caves. :P

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:56 pm

and that graphic with the tubes is hillarious.

but i'd rather see telefunken/amperex/mullard than some JJ/Tesla's.

that definitely is Behringer stuff, which begs the question, where are the LEDs behind the tubeS? :P :P

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:56 pm

I don't even see Live's interface any more. It's more or less invisible to me. I just get on with using it.

It the same with the BCR, Faderfox, FCB1010, & DD55. Once they're set up, tweaking finishes, and they're rehearsed extensively with without changing anything (as tempting as that may be!), the interface disappears for me and I become the most productive.
Last edited by hambone1 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:59 pm

Don't update the UI
Update the intro splash thing with this

She's probably the hottest thing right now in music - her new song PARIS is H O T

not to mention she's hot - thank you very much

:)
Last edited by djadonis206 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:59 pm

hot like a twice used condom.

she's also got a DUI on her now.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Who in Hollywood doesn't have a DUI?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:02 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Who in Hollywood doesn't have a DUI?
Or a twice-used condom...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:39 pm

glu wrote:
rbmonosylabik wrote:Off the top of my head, I'd like to see some kind of pages/choose what parameters you want to see and modify for 3rd party plug ins. I just say so because stuff like this can get confusing and take too much space.

+1

and dual monitor support.... it would simply make life/live easier...
...and like someone else said: the option to have the note/sample editor in a separate window (ie: on my second monitor).

honestly, why the hell would you want any fancy pancy shiny htings? looks great, eats resources. the UI is awesome as it is, the functionality of the UI isnt. could be better.
but hell no, please for the love of god dont change it. its clean, its easy on your eyes, its well composed; you can find all you need without thinking twice whether that was a button or not etc..

+ its vector.

ever tried fruity loops? well, try it on a high resolution.
waws that a knob or a button?
who knows..

oh, one more thing: the ability to make your own colorschemes. im not sure that this can be done as it now, and if it can i havent figured out how, and its propably a pretty big workaround.

supster

Post by supster » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:31 am

i cant read all 6 pages of this, but i know how a lot of the people here think.

one thing a lot of you are overlooking or dont want to admit (based on other long threads about this i did read... ):

a lot of the limitations on new feature additions, and / or filling in feature gaps that a lot of you have been asking for for the past couple of years ...

these things are NOT possible with the current interface and this is a big part of the reason why they have NOT happened yet.

so its not a trivial matter: either accept that they need some kind of upgrade to the interface, or learn to live without a lot of the other sh*t that you want

also:

"upgrading the interface" does not automatically mean "hotrodding it all up with cables and doodads and 20" rims with flames down the sides"

it simply means using a new paradigm that allows say ... detachable interface elements ... OR ... simultaneous dual waveform views .. OR ... seeing multiple parameter envelopes in arrangeview.. OR ... truly functional lights and buttons that appear unubtrusively when needed, disappear when not ... OR ...

list goes on and on. if you dont see any need for any of these things or any of the other hundreds of potential things that might be possible ... then by all means continue to fight to keep it the same.

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:40 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:I'll quit music the day I'm working with Live and ask myself "is that a button?"

oh, and 3rd party plugs don't count.
yep, we should get the Abletons to make a built in
"VST to Live GUI converter feature" so all other vst`s
would look as good as Live and it`s plugs.

Rune