MIDI!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
os

Post by os » Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:37 pm

Hi Deadbeat...
there are many VSTi's that I could happily run alongside Live without stressing my laptop unduly. I'd love to be able to play them live, have them routed through the same effects within Live as my audio loops, be able to record what I play on the VSTi's straight into Live for further loop processing.
However many recordings of jams you have, there is absolutely no substitute for being able to play something live, responding and interacting with other musicians or just with whatever else you happen to have created in Live. This is what it's all about for me!
And if I can do it all within one software package, so much the better. :D

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:42 pm

Deadbeat wrote: Not sure what happened above, but in case you missed the signature at the bottom, that was me running off at the mouth...
Hi Deadbeat,
your session (browser to webserver) probably got a timeout. Normaly that around 15 minutes.

os wrote: Hi Deadbeat...
there are many VSTi's that I could happily run alongside Live without stressing my laptop unduly. I'd love to be able to play them live, have them routed through the same effects within Live as my audio loops, be able to record what I play on the VSTi's straight into Live for further loop processing.
However many recordings of jams you have, there is absolutely no substitute for being able to play something live, responding and interacting with other musicians or just with whatever else you happen to have created in Live. This is what it's all about for me!
And if I can do it all within one software package, so much the better. :D
Hi os,
Why bother, use a VSTi host or a Cequencer (eg. Logic / Cubase) rewire and ready you are.

f

os

Post by os » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:20 pm

"Why bother, use a VSTi host or a Cequencer (eg. Logic / Cubase) rewire and ready you are."

two questions
- show me a Mac OS X VSTi host or sequencer
- tell me how I can route my VSTis through Live's effects & record them into Live, even if I had such a VSTi host

actually, the latter might be possible with Live as ReWire master - haven't got my manual to hand.

even so, I'd rather just work in one program if possible...

cheers,
os.

neuronaut

MIDI wet dream

Post by neuronaut » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:11 pm

I use Cubase for MIDI with Live right now, BUT dropping in MIDI as loops would be SOOOO freaking cool!

The biggest downfall of Live (and I love this software) is the degredation of the audio quality. IMHO if Ableton doesn't get on this someone else will...

By adding MIDI, suddenly all us freaky tone snobs will have a new tool! You can't get the real analog sound without the analog gear. In a performance environment, analog gear is the purest source! I love the tone I get when there's no A to D to A processing.

Better than 32 bit 128k.... better than vinyl's 3 micron variations in tone! The original sound source! ANALOG shall always rule!

peace. :)

monolake

midi

Post by monolake » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:41 pm

...of course we know that VSTi + Sequencer would be nice.
But since there are still so many things to improve in the audio sequencer domain and we are a small company you cannot expect it in the nearer future. If we finally do something like this it has to fit into our concept of keeping things simple and powerfull.
It does not make sense to us at ableton to implement millions of features "somehow" .

On stage i personally do not miss MIDI because i do not want to deal with crashing VSTis and overlapping windows. At the Studio i can run Live + MAX / Reaktor/ Cubase/ Reason/ whatsoever together on two monitors or two machines....

robert

btw.: i may sound oldschool but i would prefer if people on this forum could accept different opinions without getting rude or offensive. thanx

neuronaut

midi

Post by neuronaut » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:18 am

monolake wrote: It does not make sense to us at ableton to implement millions of features "somehow" .

robert

btw.: i may sound oldschool but i would prefer if people on this forum could accept different opinions without getting rude or offensive. thanx
bro,

As a programmer, I fully appreciate your concept of not reinventing a tool that already exists in a competitive market. I guess I thought this through before I even posted any amusing concepts of MIDI implementation.

As a musician, I love Live more than anything. I'm planning my whole system around it. What I find amazing is the impromtu drag and drop nature of composing in real time. I tried this for years before in Cubase with results no where near Live's capabilities. It has re awakened my old compositions from 15+ years of music hacking. Thank you! The amazing thing is the improv with the rest of our band (Bass, Drums, Guitar, Vocals, Keys, Laptop, Engineer) has been lifted us to a new level near perfect bliss! This could be a whole new wave of technology and magic.

Peace.

MIDI terrorrist1

MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,

Post by MIDI terrorrist1 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:52 am

MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI,MIDI, :D

Link

Post by Link » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:01 am

-"Why bother, use a VSTi host or a Cequencer (eg. Logic / Cubase) rewire and ready you are."-

Well no. If I Rewire to Logic or Cubse the "Live In's" are then not available in Live making the main reason I'm using it redundant. If a host could pass an audio streamback into Live's live inpu then fine.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:13 am

it would be cool but as someone said already, Ableton is doing the right thing by not releasing yet another MIDI sequencer into the market. and then how would it look compared to something like Logic, probably not so good feature-wise. so they would have to beef it up and then the price would be high and then we would indeed have yet another soft studio. Live is called "Live" for a reason. it's made for performance, not studio(although it does pretty damn good there too). regardless, the folks at Ableton are obviously damn good at this audio thing and if they could concentrate on the strengths of that Live will continue to amaze us and go down as a classic.

fuzesupernova

Re: RE: MIDI

Post by fuzesupernova » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:46 am

:evil: midi itz not devil....damn it!!!!

fruity

another opinion

Post by fruity » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:44 pm

just to say that was up to buy a hardware midi sequencer, now i am just waiting that live accept midi clip to buy it !!!! please hurry up! !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

os

Post by os » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:12 pm

you could be waiting some time.
(which would be a good thing IMHO)

atom_b

Re: midi

Post by atom_b » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:49 pm

monolake wrote:At the Studio i can run Live + MAX / Reaktor/ Cubase/ Reason/ whatsoever together on two monitors or two machines....
Right! BUT what do I have the arranger for while working in the studio?

If live would give me the opportunity to access live input from the arranger-mode, certainly this would be sufficient. Well, despite the fact that I still would lack some ASIO-like latency in multiclient soundcards.

And then MIDI: A simple MIDI-implementation, like done in Samplitude (since you're using MAX you're on a Mac, but maybe you've seen it somewhere) would do the job, and this wouldn't affect the simplicity of use.

Since ableton is "small" and therefore not capable of developing everything demanded (wouldn't also be too smart), I suggest:

- I know it's hard, VSTi (Rewire is a fine concept, but as long as I use loads of fx in live I will always loose the sound I've build as soon as Live becomes slave to some host, so this is not really an option)
- Give us simple MIDI functions (as long as there'd be VSTi too one could compensate the lack of warp- and looping functionality)

OK, this was from dreamland;-), then at least:

- Give us DirectX-fx or a shell for it
- Force development of the arranger (enable live input, apart from the session-mode)
- Enhance the quality of the audio engine (in arranger-mode)

Maybe you are not all aware of it, but using live in a studio environment makes a great productivity-enhancement too, so the latter three points said are the most important for me...

THX for building a great tool and for keeping it reasonable! (I'll always appreciate if you'll resist making it a toy like reason is)

Regards
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

atom_b

Re: midi

Post by atom_b » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:57 pm

atom_b wrote:- Enhance the quality of the audio engine (in arranger-mode)
Guess I have to be more precise with that one, must read: In terms of audio quality. This would be some great enhancement, because still there is always some mulchiness and lack of power to the tracks compared to other audio sequencers I use.
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

twelve

Sister Midi App

Post by twelve » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:48 pm

Why not add (as previously mentioned) a sister Midi app written by Ableton with VSTi and Midi file support? This would leave Live as is and can be left to be improved in its own right.

Or, is there a Midi app i could use with VSTi capability to record into Live which is not Cubase or Logic (these programs are the death of creativity in their current form and don't feel there hefty price is justified for myself if i just want to add VSTi support).