FCB 1010 (I know this is overkill)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
greg0ryk

FCB 1010 (I know this is overkill)

Post by greg0ryk » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:41 am

Sorry to contribute yet another query about the FCB 1010 but I have researched and researched and have been sucessful in getting the exp. pedals to work and even triggering a few scences, but it is all very chaotic and unorganized. I am not sure which patch is sending what and if the first 5 pedals do nothing since they are for program change only. I followed through the instructions verbatim but when it said,

"Press "up" once, the midi function led starts flasahing. now hit pedal "1", it flashes, press "up/enter" and the light on pedal one should stay lit, ..."

The pedal did not stay lit. What is going on here? Does anyone have a method that works or a way to explain how to get a simple set up so that each of the pads can be midi mapped within live? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The pedal seems to have a lot of potential, I just want to be able to fully appreciate it's power. Thanks again.

marcus78

Post by marcus78 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:46 am

hi there: have you checked out the yahoo groups forum? by the way, it is much easier to assign each footswitch a midi note so that you don't program the same pedal for the same trigger. I hope you don't use a large keyboard? that way you can pick the higher midi notes (below 127) and not worry about conflicting midi info.
here's what I got from the yahoo forum:
One other thing I forgot to mention was the use of midi note
on/off. When in programming mode for a patch, pedals 1-5 are used
for midi program change signal, 6-7 are used to send "fixed" control change commands, 8-9 are used with exp pedals to send variable ccc's, and pedal 10 is used to send note on/off. If you hold down "10" while in programming mode for a patch, then tap it to make it flash, then press up/enter to confirm editing--now a number should flash--this number represents a midi note. I use either the lowest numbers or highest numbers--these represent the lowest and highest keys on a keyboard. I use these to control things in Live with 1010 so that when playing the keyboard, I am unlikely to accidentally turn something on or off in Live as I rarely play in those regions of the keyboard. So, choose a number low or high, and press up.enter to confirm. Then a long "down" press to exit programming mode. Now that patch will sen midi note on when you hit it (it will turn something on in Live once you assign it) and midi note off when you hit it again (turning whatever off in Live). If you hit it again its back on, a fourth time its off again, and so on. Use this to make patches that turn effects on a off, or turn monitoring for a channel on and off. What is useful about midi note on/off is that one patch pedal can be use to turn an effect on and off, just like a guitar stomp box pedal, whereas you would need two 1010 patches using ccc's to turn a device on and off (though you could use a patch with an exp. pedal sending cccs that would turn something on when the pedal is forward, and off when back). Now that you're off and running, the sky is the limit.
Both the1010 and Live are so flexible, just about anything can be
accomplished. One other thing to note, and given 1010 patch can send many midi signals at once--i.e. When in programming mode for a specific patch, you might end up with lights 6-10 light up for a patch (though unlikely). More likely might be a patch that uses note on/off to turn on the auto filter, and has one exp pedal assigned to the freq., and another to the "q" (resonance). Hit that patch, the auto filter turns on, and the pedals are ready to tweak the filter.
good luck!

TS

fcb1010

Post by TS » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I have been looking at the FCB1010 since I aquired Live 5 and realized that hand control might be handicapping me on my uc33e as I am a keyboard player. I have been to the yahoo forumn and I have to say the setup doesn't look plug and play to me. It appears that after some time figuring out things(yet another steep learning curve)I would potentially have a workable solution,but then again I just as well might get hung up in the details and have a long paperweight with foot switches.
Maybe in the not to distant future Ableton will introduce their own controller premapped.Similar to native instruments introduction of kore.
I realize that ableton is easy to map ,but if we are to use it effectively we need to have controllers that you don't have to always be toying with. Wasn't it supposed to be about making music. I don't have tons of time to sit in my studio and research a controller.Is it in reality easy to program the fcb1010?
Ableton live 10 standard,Studio One Professional, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum,Mixcraft 8, Komplete 10,Korg legacy collection.
Home built PC i7.HP OMEN laptop. QuNEO. Focusrite and Presonus interfaces. Lotsa midi keyboards and guitars.

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:43 am

depending on your understanding of midi, the 1010 can be a breeze to program or a crash course in the world of midi and midi terminology. A lot of getting it to work with Live is just planning out what you want to do with the foot pedals. That is why we are unlikely to ever see a live-dedicated foot controller all pre-mapped--everyone works differently and want things mapped to suit their needs. I'd say check out the yahoo group as suggested, and marcus78's post is concise and on target. for lengthy ramblings sure to put you to sleep, I've cobbled together posts I've made here and elsewhere that I've shared with others. good luck and good night!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a bunch of stuff comped from various posts of mine and responses to other private mails. To particularly address how I use the 1010 is fairly simple (to me at least), but if this is your first jump into the land of Midi, some of the info below may help. Some of this may be directed as specific issues of other people, but the general concepts are there. Good Luck!

The plan is for the fcb1010 to send signals to Live. get a midi cable running from the 1010 midi out to your interface.

In Live, select the proper midi port in the preferences menu. test to make sure live is recieveing signal from the 1010 by pressing buttons and making sure the blue midi light in the upper left portion of live screen is flashing. Now what is left to do is assign in Live what the commands coming from the fcb1010 will do. This also requires setting up patches on the fcb1010 that send the information you want. It is important that you streamline midi info sent by 1010 as much as possible, and make sure that when you assign midi in Live that there are no "overlaps" so to speak. Example: I have some patches on the 1010 where i hit a foot pedal, and it turns a given channel in live on or off. To have an on/off type switch using midi commands, it needs to be sending a midi note signal that is either on or off (same midi info as pressing a key on the keyboard). So when I first assigned midi notes from the 1010 to the monitoring buttons in Live, it worked great til i started playing my keyboard and hit those notes while playing--inadvertently turning channels on and off. SO i had to redo my fcb1010 patches to send the highest pitched couple of midi notes that I doubt i will ever play on a keyboard to control the on/off of different tracks in live. The same "interference" or undesired midi consequences can come from other types of midi commands (control change). So it would be wise to find make sure that any other midi gear and 1010 are not sending the the same midi control change signals--i.e. set up your 1010 patches using control change channels (1-127) that other midi gear doesn't use.

So back to practical usage with guitar. I have one bank of 1010 patches that is my Live control bank. Pedals 1-5 trigger clip (loop) recording on the first clip slot of the first five tracks in live. 6-8 are the note on/off midi signals used to enable/disable monitoring of 3 tracks. 9 is tap tempo, and 10 actually acts as a delete button--here's how/why. If you mess up while recording a clip (loop), the only way to salvage the performance and not have your instrument drop out is to hit delete while still recording the clip, then you can start recording it again whenever. I flub a good bit, and can't really stop playing bass or guitar to hit the delete button, so I use a free software called bomes midi translator the actually converts midi signals to keyboard commands, so within the translator, i just assinged the midi cc command from the #10 preset on the 1010 to the delete button on the keyboard, and thats all it takes. NOTE: this was in the magical days of Live 3--as you read in my post 4 and 5 don't do this properly and it SUCKS!

So for the looping patches 1-5, all the 1010 sends out is one fixed control change signal. For example, when you hold down down on the 1010 and get into patch programming mode, by default the factory patches have lights 1, 8, and 9 lit up. hold these down briefly to turn them all off. All you want to send is one control change command. These are sent from either 6 or 7 on the 1010 in programming mode. hold down 6 briefly til it lights up, then hit it quickly to make it flash. Then hit the up botton, and a number appears--this is the control change channel (1-127). Choose a number between 1-127 that doesn't interfere with the ox8 knobs (which are also sending midi control change info, each on its own channel). Each patch on the 1010 that will be used to record clips in Live needs to send its midi into to Live on seperate midi control change channels. I use channels 99-104 for my 5 lopping patches, as they don't seem to interfere with anything. So choose your midi control change channel (you can sweep the exp pedal or press the numbers to choose the channel) then hit "up". Now another number appears--this is the midi command-this number is of less consequence, but just choose 127 for each patch. Now in Live, goto edit midi map, mouse click on a clip slot of a track where you want the 1010 to start/loop clips. after clicking, then press the 1010 patch (after exiting 1010 programming mode with another long "down" press), and live should pop up some numbers in that slot corresponding to the midi data coming from the 1010. Now exit mid programming mode in Live, and start playback with a tempo going in Live (or not), and hit the 1010 patch--it should start recording. hit it again, it should stop recording and loop. Here's when you need to decide if you want quantized tempo perfect loops or not. If so (which is what i do ) then i find it most helpful to have clip quantization in the prefs. menu set to global, and the quantization at the top of the screen set to bar. The means that any clip can be as long or short as I want (the clip-global setting), and that whenever i hit my 1010 patch to start recording a clip, Live quantizes to the nearest bar--i.e. I usually hit the pedal a few beats early (after the last "1" beat, but before the next "1" beat where my clip needs to start). This way I'm not worring about hitting the pedal at the exact perfect time, I hit it early and live always starts/stops the clip right at the bar. YOu can also set it up so there is no quantization, as soon as you hit the 1010 patch it will start recording the clip--this is probably more useful for playing in a live ensemble with a less than perfect drummer.

Now try assigning the expression pedals to effects parameters or volume or whatever, with the flexibility of Live and the 1010, just about anything is possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is all too much info on the 1010, compiled from various posts I've made. Sorry if it is redundant. Two suggestions--join the yahoo.group for the 1010, and if the LEDs above the exp pedals don't light up at all as you switch around to different patches, you will need to reset them (this seems to be the case with many of the new 1010's shipped). directions for reseting/recalibrating the pedals are on the "links" tab of the yahoo group. Here's a buttload of 1010 info:

Good that you found the yahoo group. Check out their links--there is a helpful midi primer there. First off--global settings. This is where you make choices that effect all of your patches (patch=preset). Midi devices send and recieve midi data on midi channels. there are 16 midi channels availible to any midi device, no more no less. think of these like tv channels, If Live is "watching" midi channel 1 for midi info, midi data sent to live from 1010 on midi channel 6 won't be recieved. One difference in the midi world and the tv analogy is that some midi devices (or midi software, Live included) "listen" for midi info on all 16 channels (often called omni mode). Back to the 1010 global--it is here that you set up what midi channel different midi commands are sent on (for example you could assing one exp pedal to always send info on midi channel 5, and exp pedal B to always send on midi channel 16). However, for simplification and ease of use, you want to set it up co that all midi data is sent on one channel. Here's how:

hold "down" for a few seconds while powering up. This enters global setup mode. If the light on footswitch 10/0 is let, press it and hold for a second to make the light go away. The reason for this is as follows. There are two ways to select patches on the 1010-direct select or bank mode. Direct select means that you simply "type" the patch number with you feet, choosing any patch between 1-100 (to choose patch 23 for example, you would hit "2" then "3", as soon as you hit 3 it will jump to patch 23). This is okay, but bank mode is more useful. In bank mode, ther are ten banks of ten presets. If you are on bank 01 for instance, each of the pedals 1-10 instanly calls up a patch (this is quicker than always hitting at least two pedals to call up a patch in d.select mode). YOu switch between the ten banks by pressing the up and down buttons. So making the light above swithc 10/0 go off upon entering global setup will put you in bank mode, sweet. Now lets get back to the midi channels. Press "up" once, the midi function led starts flasahing. now hit pedal "1", it flashes, press "up/enter" and the light on pedal one should stay lit, and a number should flash in the display. This flashing number is the midi channel info is being sent on. If it isn't "01" then hit the "0" then "1" pedals to make it read "01", then press up/enter to confirm. Now the configuration LED lights up, hit "up" a few more times to get back to the "midi function" LED flashing. Now repeat the exact same proceedure for pedal "2". hit pedal 2, it flashes, press "up/enter" and the light on pedal one should stay lit, and a number should flash in the display. This flashing number is the midi channel info is being sent on. If it isn't "01" then hit the "0" then "1" pedals to make it read "01", then press up/enter to confirm. Then hit up a few times to get back to midi function LED flashing, and repeat again until each of the pedals 1-10 is sending out midi on channel 01. When that is done, and your back to a flashing "configuration" LED--are any pedal lights lit. If not, then hold "8" until it is lit--this allows midi data coming in to fcb1010 to merge with 1010 data going out--this will help if you are plugging ox8 into with midi cable, then 1010 into usb interface. If thats not the plan, then get it to where no pedals are lit when "config" LED is flashing. Exit global setup mode with a long "down"press.

Now on to midi. The 1010 sends 3 basic types of midi commands. PRogram change commands are used to instantly select a patch on a midi keyboard or sound module. Sending a program change of "112" sommand will tell whatever device is listening to go to patch 112. Program change commands do nothing in Live so you won't be needing those. Second, and most important are control change commands. ccc's are midi commands that are used to virtuallly turn knobs, move sliders, turn things on and off, etc. They can be used two ways with the 1010--to send a fixed command (like turning on an effect, or instanly switching the pan knob to a desired location), or to send a range of commands with an expression pedal (so that you can use the exp like a volume or pan knob, or more creativly in Live assign it to the cutoff on the auto filter for a wah type pedal, or to other effect parameters--thus allowing you via the exp pedal to manipulated the sound in real time). So there are two parts to any midi ccc--what it is controlling (volume, pan, effect parameter, etc.
) and what the command will do to what it is contolling (for exp. a fixed ccc might turn the volume to a certain level, while the exp pedal will change the volume with each discrete movement of the exp pedal.). So whereas program change commands are simply one number (patch 112, or patch 23) ccc's need to send two numbers-first a number that selects what parameter is to be manipulated (volume, pan, etc.), and second a number to which the "knob" will be tuned to (if sending a "fixed" ccc), or if using an exp pedal, a range of numbers will be sent. There are 127 (1-127) possible contol change channels (the first number, which selects volume or pan or whatever), and also 127 (1-127) possible settings on any given "knob" (for example, if controlling volume 1=no sound, 127=max volume). The third type of midi info sent by 1010 is note on/off, which is just like it sounds. YOu are either turning on a midi note (the same as hitting a key on a midi keyboard), or turning it off. YOu can use these midi signals most usefully in Live as a way to have a 1010 patch that turns something on when you hit it, turns it off when you hit it again, turns it back on when you hit it a third time, off the fourth......

Back to the 1010 patches. NOw we're in bank mode, the led display will read 01 if your in bank 1, or 02 in bank 2, on up to bank 10. In any given bank, all 10 pedals are each individual patches, giving you 10 patches, each a single button press away. So lets go to bank 02, and edit patch 3. Use up or down buttons to make the number display read 02 (bank 2), and then hit the "3" pedal--it should light up--this means you have selected patch 3 in bank 2. Now hold "down" for a few seconds to enter programming mode.Now you are in programming mode for that singular patch. Each of the 10 pedals now represent midi data that you can choose to send (or not to send) for that one specific patch. If none of the pedals are lit, then that patch will not send any midi data at all when you hit the pedal in normal bank mode (not programming mode). For each individual patch in programming mode, Pedals 1-5 send program change commands exclusively, which do nothing in Live that i can tell, so for all of your patches that you use, you wan't NONE of the 1-5 lights lit up when in programming mode.

Pedals 6 and 7 send "fixed" ccc's. If you want to send a fixed ccc on a patch you are editing (lets use pedal "6"), hold "6" until the light comes on, then tap it to make the light flash. Confirm that you are about to edit by pressing "up/enter". Now a number is displayed--this is the control change channel--it determines what is going to be manipulated (volume, pan, effect parameters, etc.) With a keyboard or midi sound module, you have to read the keyboards manual and find out what control change channel volume is on (usually 07), then tell the 1010 to send out a c.c.command on c.c.channels 07. HOwever with Live, life is easier because you can arbitrarily assign any c.c.channel to any knob or effect parameter in Live--the only catch is to make sure there are no overlaps. For instance, if you assinged a patch to turn Lives master volume to a fixed place on c.c.channel 54, but also had another different patch where you turn the auto filter on using c.c.channel 54, whenever you hit either of those patches, it would manipulate both the master volume and the auto filter, so one and only one c.c.channel per thing you wish to manipulate with 1010. So back to our patch. YOu hit up/enter to confirm that we are editing the midi control change command sent, and a number started flashing. Lets make that number 101 (hit "1" then "0" then "1") just for fun. then hit up/enter to confirm. now another number flashes--this number represents the value of the controle change 1-127 (like 0=minimum, 127=maximum). SOmetimes a control change is used to simply turn things on or off, like stating recording of a clip in live. Since these types of commands are usually on or off, they are not like a volume knob. Therefore, often a range of control change values will have the same effect (it is common for ccvalues 1-63 to turn something off, while values 64-127 turn it on). back to the patch. Lets choose 127, as we are making a patch to record a clip in live, and it want any number from 64-127. hit "1" then "2" then 7" and the confirm with up/enter. NOw the "6" light should be lit. If any other lights are lit besides 6, hold them until they shut off. Now exit programming mode with a long "down" press, and we should be back to bank 02, with the "3" pedal lit up. Patch 3 on bank 2 is now programmed to send a control change command on control change channel 102, with a control change value of 127. In live go to edit midi map, and mouse click on a clip slot on a track. then hit your patch on the 1010 (just hit "3"). a number should appear in live. Now exit the midi map in live. now hit you patch again ("3") and recording should start in the clip slot (if you are quantizing, you'll need to start playback then hit you patch). hit your patch again to stop the clip from recording and loop it. See my previous messages for quantiztion info.

Say you wanted to edit an expression pedal of a patch. lets do patch 4 in bank 2. with 02 showing (means your in bank 2), hit pedal "4". you just selected that patch. now hold "down" for a bit to enter programming mode. Hold down the pedals that have lights lit until all pedal lights are out. now hold down "8" until it is lit, then tap it to make it flash. then hit up/enter to confirm you're about to edit exp pedal "a" for this patch (exp. pedal b is controlled by "9" is the same way exp pedal a is controlled by "8"). First select the control change channel the pedal will send info on (1-127)--lets choose 98--hit "9" then "8" then up/enter to confirm. Now another number is flashing--this is the lowest range your pedal will send, if we using this as a volume pedal, and we want it to go all the way to silence, choose "00" here (by hitting "0" then "0"). if we want the volume to not fully cut off when the pedal is fully back choose a value higher, like 28. confirm your choice by pressing up/enter. now yet another number appears--this is the upper range of the exp. pedal. If we want to be able to go to full volume, choose 127 then up/enter to confirm. NOw the "8" light should be lit. hold "down" to exit programming mode, and were back to bank 02, patch 4. now when you select patch 4 in bank 2 on the 1010 (by simply hittin "4" while in bank 02) the exp pedal A is will send control change commands on control change channel 98, when fully back the pedal will transmit a signal of 28 (or whatever you chose), and when fully forward it will send a value of 127 (max). It will smoothly glide between these two values as you rock exp pedal a back and forth. now all thats left is to tell Live what to do with this midi information. Goto edit midi map in live, and click on the parameter in Live you wish to link to. then hit your 1010 patch or exp pedal to link to parameter. repeat as neccesary.

surely you are fast asleep by now and have thrown your 1010 out the window, just kidding, they are great controllers for the price! Have fun!.

ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:30 am

:) i found ryan's info useful when I set up my pedals, btw.

One thing I'd add-- if you are using the fcb (or anything) to send midi notes as remote control 'signals', it can be helpful to use a separate midi input for this, and then in the Live prefs configure the input only for 'remote'. I have an inexpensive m-audio 1x1 midisport uno USB that works great for this.

This behringer device I think is primarily intended for use with behringer amps whose effects presets can be controlled via MIDI. For other uses it is decidedly not plug and play, you need to read the whole manual dealing with all the aspects of programming it. Basically you can get any of the pedals to send anything by putting it into the right 'mode' and then dialing in the value, it is not hard once you get the procedure, which is not unlike the hokey pokey except you curse more. :D
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

TS

Post by TS » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks Quandry for your input,all very useful information. I am by no means new to midi. I have two controllers CMEuf-8,M-audio 88SX .the UC33e.In addition to that I use a midisport 2x2 when necessary. I have used MTC extensively to chase lock two software programs and other equiptment together. I know I still probably could learn a lot but I know enough to know where you are coming from.
I have programmed all my controllers to use ableton. The CME has its own software to store patches. The UC33e has enigma and the 88SX uses its keys as midi control when in midi mode.
In my rough analysis of Ableton I would classify it as a sort of powerpoint of music in that it takes scenes just as powerpoint takes slides and inserts them where ever they are wanted. To that end I need a simple controller that will change scenes with foot control,and then change individual clips also by foot control .I need to chain all my Ableton files into sets that can play for at least an hour.
I guess my point is that we need to adapt something not intended for that purpose.On one hand I am glad there are people like you who are willing to share their knowledge about a controller(thanks) and at least there is a workable solution(with a few headaches).On the other hand if all we are trying to do is rotate clips and scenes and the occasional program or effect change,why are there not more controllers with specified parameters for Ableton. Individual preference aside it would not be to much of a stretch for someone to have an Ableton controller with say 50 or so presets.Cakewalk and Steinberg have all sorts of templates for the individual user. Given the way Ableton is designed I would think that 50 or even 100 preset patches would pretty much exaust what either a keyboard or a guitar player would need to perform live.
Ableton has no equal in terms of performance features and is unique in that respect. Its very uniqeness makes it a candidate for a dedicated controller.
Ableton live 10 standard,Studio One Professional, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum,Mixcraft 8, Komplete 10,Korg legacy collection.
Home built PC i7.HP OMEN laptop. QuNEO. Focusrite and Presonus interfaces. Lotsa midi keyboards and guitars.

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:12 pm

TS wrote:To that end I need a simple controller that will change scenes with foot control,and then change individual clips also by foot control .I need to chain all my Ableton files into sets that can play for at least an hour.
A few things to add--there is a 1010 editor for pc that is on the yahoo group, somewhat akin to the uc33 enigma software. It presents a visual of the 1010 on screen and you click a patch and type in values, then dump the sys-ex file to your 1010--haven't used it myself, but others around here say it works great.

As for "chaining" sets--it seems that everyone here who performs Live has their entire nights worth of music in one set--guys like Pitch Black and Hambone1 have monster sized sets that they play out with. I think having everything in one set is almost inevitable at this point if you want to keep the flow going on stage.

You might look into a few things in terms of navigating scenes. On is Mackie Control Emulation. I know there are a few threads on this as it relates to the 1010. I think if you set the 1010 to mackie control in Live's prefs, then use certain midi note and cc # on your 1010, you can navigate scene--ie scene up, scene down, fire current scene. Alternatively, there's something called auto hotkeys that can get you to the same place. A third option is using midi ox and bomes midi translator (pc), or midipipe and controlaid (mac) to translate incoming midi signals from the 1010 to qwerty keystroke combinations that navigate scenes. Hopefully (and it seems likely), Live will introduce more midi control of functions like these so that these workarounds aren't necessary.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:30 pm

TS wrote: Ableton has no equal in terms of performance features and is unique in that respect. Its very uniqeness makes it a candidate for a dedicated controller.
Have you seen the Faderfox?
http://faderfox.de
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 pm

yay, I got my fcb in the mail this morning and managed to figure out how the hell to set it up after about 3 hours!

I think the thing that really tripped me up was my mindset versus the fcb mindset.

I was thinking there are 10 presets with 10 switches and two expression pedals , I pressed pedal one and programmed the settings for that pedal - just a midi note. right, great ...

all of a sudden the expression pedals don't work !
yet when I press '2' the expression pedals work again. hmm ...

Then realisation slowly dawns
:roll:

those buttons aren't 'buttons' they are each a patch or program. I was thinking of them like 'keys' or a drum pad.

well, I've got it now - and the patch editor off the group suddenly makes sense to me after the revelation.

:) roll on the weekend so I can noodle properly.

BTW - thanks to quandry's post - it helped make sense of it.

KU

Post by KU » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:53 pm

My partner and I have used the FCB for some time now in conjuntion with BOMES MIDI translator. We decided that programming the FCB is not what we wanted to do, and we wanted our FCBs to be interchangeable - basically stock right out of the box.

The FCB1010 goes into BOMES and we assign each button to KEY commands. This avoids conflicts with our MCU/keyboards/BCR2000 etc - and also allows us to trigger multiple KEY commands with one button. We can open new BOMES presets during a Live set for different songs.

As our songs, and controller setups got more and more complex we moved towards not trying to remember these complex layouts - but having linear BOMES patches for each song. So - a new song has a progression of buttons to press which each trigger multiple KEY commands. So as a song progresses I just remember WHEN to press the next FCB button 1-10. Button 1 might record a track 1 loop, Button 2 might retrigger track 1 loop AND trigger a track 2 loop AND Mute the first loop AND Launch a percussion loop, etc-

I'm sure this sounds confusing - but the point was that in my complex setup/songs I just progress through pressing buttons 1-10 as the song continues - each button executing multiple things specific to the progression of that song. This is limiting in some respects - but I consider it structure over which I can improvise. After seeing Kid Beyond - I knew I wanted to be able to execute drastic/changes with minimal buttonpresses.

I may even have multiple buttons which do the same thing! since I just keep moving through the buttons till the end of the song. I can even open new Live Sets with a footswitch once I get to the end of the song.

cherry

FCB 1010

Post by cherry » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:13 pm

I just got my FCB 1010 and I'm kinda reeling from all the info, as well as the crappy manual. I want to program the foot controller with Ableton live so I can make loops in real time. (I'm playing a violin with a pick-up and effects) Can someone tell me how to do this? I want to be able to step on a pedal and it arm and start a track to record and start looping.

thanks

rebecca

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:25 pm

well, the info is all there in Quandry's post. but I appreciate that it is a bit of overkill.

Briefly put the simplest way to set up an FCB to do what you want is to go into normal preset editing mode , to do this - pick a pedal you want to program (EG pedal '1') and then hold down the 'Down' pedal for 5 seconds, the display should change (one green flasher), now press 'up'. You are now editing what messages pedal one will send. You will notice that some pedals are lit up, these relate to the messages that Pedal One will send, notice the little writing on each pedal that is lit?

You don't want program changes active(the botom left two pedals) or anything else much, really you just want midi notes for the easiest setup. You can de-activate the "switches" and "program change", etc, but dont go turning off the expression pedals in your preset though. I did that and wondered why my wah worked when I pressed pedal 1, but as soon as I pressed pedal 2 the wah stopped working! You must remember this device is made as a guitarists pedal board for behringer rack units. each pedal is a 'preset' and is designed to send a chain of info, its sometimes easy to forget that when using it as a clip triggger.

anyway - once all the pedals have midi notes and the wah-type pedals all have the same midi CC numbers assigned and you have made sure the ranges on them are OK you can get into live triggering.

In Live turn on midi assign mode: see the little play icon/clip trigger slot which magically appears at the bottom of each track when you enter midi mode? you can now simply assign each pedal to one of those.

if you record-arm the tracks you need(remember to go into preferences in live to turn on the ability to arm multiple tracks) .. now .. when you press a pedal it will start to record in the relevant track, if you press again it will stop recording - the start and stop point will be dependant on you clip quantize settings of course. Mine are set to use the Global ... which is normally set on 1 bar.

I would recommend joining the Yahoo group and taking a look at the files section there, you will find a PDF with an 'easy set up' guide. It covers how to set the FCB up quite clearly. Choose the setup guide PDF with the most recent date.

KX

Post by KX » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:57 pm

quandry wrote:depending on your understanding of midi, the 1010 can be a breeze to program or a crash course in the world of midi and midi terminology. A lot of getting it to work with Live is just planning out what you want to do with the foot pedals. That is why we are unlikely to ever see a live-dedicated foot controller all pre-mapped--everyone works differently and want things mapped to suit their needs. I'd say check out the yahoo group as suggested, and marcus78's post is concise and on target. for lengthy ramblings sure to put you to sleep, I've cobbled together posts I've made here and elsewhere that I've shared with others. good luck and good night!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a bunch of stuff comped from various posts of mine and responses to other private mails. To particularly address how I use the 1010 is fairly simple (to me at least), but if this is your first jump into the land of Midi, some of the info below may help. Some of this may be directed as specific issues of other people, but the general concepts are there. Good Luck!

The plan is for the fcb1010 to send signals to Live. get a midi cable running from the 1010 midi out to your interface.

In Live, select the proper midi port in the preferences menu. test to make sure live is recieveing signal from the 1010 by pressing buttons and making sure the blue midi light in the upper left portion of live screen is flashing. Now what is left to do is assign in Live what the commands coming from the fcb1010 will do. This also requires setting up patches on the fcb1010 that send the information you want. It is important that you streamline midi info sent by 1010 as much as possible, and make sure that when you assign midi in Live that there are no "overlaps" so to speak. Example: I have some patches on the 1010 where i hit a foot pedal, and it turns a given channel in live on or off. To have an on/off type switch using midi commands, it needs to be sending a midi note signal that is either on or off (same midi info as pressing a key on the keyboard). So when I first assigned midi notes from the 1010 to the monitoring buttons in Live, it worked great til i started playing my keyboard and hit those notes while playing--inadvertently turning channels on and off. SO i had to redo my fcb1010 patches to send the highest pitched couple of midi notes that I doubt i will ever play on a keyboard to control the on/off of different tracks in live. The same "interference" or undesired midi consequences can come from other types of midi commands (control change). So it would be wise to find make sure that any other midi gear and 1010 are not sending the the same midi control change signals--i.e. set up your 1010 patches using control change channels (1-127) that other midi gear doesn't use.

So back to practical usage with guitar. I have one bank of 1010 patches that is my Live control bank. Pedals 1-5 trigger clip (loop) recording on the first clip slot of the first five tracks in live. 6-8 are the note on/off midi signals used to enable/disable monitoring of 3 tracks. 9 is tap tempo, and 10 actually acts as a delete button--here's how/why. If you mess up while recording a clip (loop), the only way to salvage the performance and not have your instrument drop out is to hit delete while still recording the clip, then you can start recording it again whenever. I flub a good bit, and can't really stop playing bass or guitar to hit the delete button, so I use a free software called bomes midi translator the actually converts midi signals to keyboard commands, so within the translator, i just assinged the midi cc command from the #10 preset on the 1010 to the delete button on the keyboard, and thats all it takes. NOTE: this was in the magical days of Live 3--as you read in my post 4 and 5 don't do this properly and it SUCKS!

So for the looping patches 1-5, all the 1010 sends out is one fixed control change signal. For example, when you hold down down on the 1010 and get into patch programming mode, by default the factory patches have lights 1, 8, and 9 lit up. hold these down briefly to turn them all off. All you want to send is one control change command. These are sent from either 6 or 7 on the 1010 in programming mode. hold down 6 briefly til it lights up, then hit it quickly to make it flash. Then hit the up botton, and a number appears--this is the control change channel (1-127). Choose a number between 1-127 that doesn't interfere with the ox8 knobs (which are also sending midi control change info, each on its own channel). Each patch on the 1010 that will be used to record clips in Live needs to send its midi into to Live on seperate midi control change channels. I use channels 99-104 for my 5 lopping patches, as they don't seem to interfere with anything. So choose your midi control change channel (you can sweep the exp pedal or press the numbers to choose the channel) then hit "up". Now another number appears--this is the midi command-this number is of less consequence, but just choose 127 for each patch. Now in Live, goto edit midi map, mouse click on a clip slot of a track where you want the 1010 to start/loop clips. after clicking, then press the 1010 patch (after exiting 1010 programming mode with another long "down" press), and live should pop up some numbers in that slot corresponding to the midi data coming from the 1010. Now exit mid programming mode in Live, and start playback with a tempo going in Live (or not), and hit the 1010 patch--it should start recording. hit it again, it should stop recording and loop. Here's when you need to decide if you want quantized tempo perfect loops or not. If so (which is what i do ) then i find it most helpful to have clip quantization in the prefs. menu set to global, and the quantization at the top of the screen set to bar. The means that any clip can be as long or short as I want (the clip-global setting), and that whenever i hit my 1010 patch to start recording a clip, Live quantizes to the nearest bar--i.e. I usually hit the pedal a few beats early (after the last "1" beat, but before the next "1" beat where my clip needs to start). This way I'm not worring about hitting the pedal at the exact perfect time, I hit it early and live always starts/stops the clip right at the bar. YOu can also set it up so there is no quantization, as soon as you hit the 1010 patch it will start recording the clip--this is probably more useful for playing in a live ensemble with a less than perfect drummer.

Now try assigning the expression pedals to effects parameters or volume or whatever, with the flexibility of Live and the 1010, just about anything is possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is all too much info on the 1010, compiled from various posts I've made. Sorry if it is redundant. Two suggestions--join the yahoo.group for the 1010, and if the LEDs above the exp pedals don't light up at all as you switch around to different patches, you will need to reset them (this seems to be the case with many of the new 1010's shipped). directions for reseting/recalibrating the pedals are on the "links" tab of the yahoo group. Here's a buttload of 1010 info:

Good that you found the yahoo group. Check out their links--there is a helpful midi primer there. First off--global settings. This is where you make choices that effect all of your patches (patch=preset). Midi devices send and recieve midi data on midi channels. there are 16 midi channels availible to any midi device, no more no less. think of these like tv channels, If Live is "watching" midi channel 1 for midi info, midi data sent to live from 1010 on midi channel 6 won't be recieved. One difference in the midi world and the tv analogy is that some midi devices (or midi software, Live included) "listen" for midi info on all 16 channels (often called omni mode). Back to the 1010 global--it is here that you set up what midi channel different midi commands are sent on (for example you could assing one exp pedal to always send info on midi channel 5, and exp pedal B to always send on midi channel 16). However, for simplification and ease of use, you want to set it up co that all midi data is sent on one channel. Here's how:

hold "down" for a few seconds while powering up. This enters global setup mode. If the light on footswitch 10/0 is let, press it and hold for a second to make the light go away. The reason for this is as follows. There are two ways to select patches on the 1010-direct select or bank mode. Direct select means that you simply "type" the patch number with you feet, choosing any patch between 1-100 (to choose patch 23 for example, you would hit "2" then "3", as soon as you hit 3 it will jump to patch 23). This is okay, but bank mode is more useful. In bank mode, ther are ten banks of ten presets. If you are on bank 01 for instance, each of the pedals 1-10 instanly calls up a patch (this is quicker than always hitting at least two pedals to call up a patch in d.select mode). YOu switch between the ten banks by pressing the up and down buttons. So making the light above swithc 10/0 go off upon entering global setup will put you in bank mode, sweet. Now lets get back to the midi channels. Press "up" once, the midi function led starts flasahing. now hit pedal "1", it flashes, press "up/enter" and the light on pedal one should stay lit, and a number should flash in the display. This flashing number is the midi channel info is being sent on. If it isn't "01" then hit the "0" then "1" pedals to make it read "01", then press up/enter to confirm. Now the configuration LED lights up, hit "up" a few more times to get back to the "midi function" LED flashing. Now repeat the exact same proceedure for pedal "2". hit pedal 2, it flashes, press "up/enter" and the light on pedal one should stay lit, and a number should flash in the display. This flashing number is the midi channel info is being sent on. If it isn't "01" then hit the "0" then "1" pedals to make it read "01", then press up/enter to confirm. Then hit up a few times to get back to midi function LED flashing, and repeat again until each of the pedals 1-10 is sending out midi on channel 01. When that is done, and your back to a flashing "configuration" LED--are any pedal lights lit. If not, then hold "8" until it is lit--this allows midi data coming in to fcb1010 to merge with 1010 data going out--this will help if you are plugging ox8 into with midi cable, then 1010 into usb interface. If thats not the plan, then get it to where no pedals are lit when "config" LED is flashing. Exit global setup mode with a long "down"press.

Now on to midi. The 1010 sends 3 basic types of midi commands. PRogram change commands are used to instantly select a patch on a midi keyboard or sound module. Sending a program change of "112" sommand will tell whatever device is listening to go to patch 112. Program change commands do nothing in Live so you won't be needing those. Second, and most important are control change commands. ccc's are midi commands that are used to virtuallly turn knobs, move sliders, turn things on and off, etc. They can be used two ways with the 1010--to send a fixed command (like turning on an effect, or instanly switching the pan knob to a desired location), or to send a range of commands with an expression pedal (so that you can use the exp like a volume or pan knob, or more creativly in Live assign it to the cutoff on the auto filter for a wah type pedal, or to other effect parameters--thus allowing you via the exp pedal to manipulated the sound in real time). So there are two parts to any midi ccc--what it is controlling (volume, pan, effect parameter, etc.
) and what the command will do to what it is contolling (for exp. a fixed ccc might turn the volume to a certain level, while the exp pedal will change the volume with each discrete movement of the exp pedal.). So whereas program change commands are simply one number (patch 112, or patch 23) ccc's need to send two numbers-first a number that selects what parameter is to be manipulated (volume, pan, etc.), and second a number to which the "knob" will be tuned to (if sending a "fixed" ccc), or if using an exp pedal, a range of numbers will be sent. There are 127 (1-127) possible contol change channels (the first number, which selects volume or pan or whatever), and also 127 (1-127) possible settings on any given "knob" (for example, if controlling volume 1=no sound, 127=max volume). The third type of midi info sent by 1010 is note on/off, which is just like it sounds. YOu are either turning on a midi note (the same as hitting a key on a midi keyboard), or turning it off. YOu can use these midi signals most usefully in Live as a way to have a 1010 patch that turns something on when you hit it, turns it off when you hit it again, turns it back on when you hit it a third time, off the fourth......

Back to the 1010 patches. NOw we're in bank mode, the led display will read 01 if your in bank 1, or 02 in bank 2, on up to bank 10. In any given bank, all 10 pedals are each individual patches, giving you 10 patches, each a single button press away. So lets go to bank 02, and edit patch 3. Use up or down buttons to make the number display read 02 (bank 2), and then hit the "3" pedal--it should light up--this means you have selected patch 3 in bank 2. Now hold "down" for a few seconds to enter programming mode.Now you are in programming mode for that singular patch. Each of the 10 pedals now represent midi data that you can choose to send (or not to send) for that one specific patch. If none of the pedals are lit, then that patch will not send any midi data at all when you hit the pedal in normal bank mode (not programming mode). For each individual patch in programming mode, Pedals 1-5 send program change commands exclusively, which do nothing in Live that i can tell, so for all of your patches that you use, you wan't NONE of the 1-5 lights lit up when in programming mode.

Pedals 6 and 7 send "fixed" ccc's. If you want to send a fixed ccc on a patch you are editing (lets use pedal "6"), hold "6" until the light comes on, then tap it to make the light flash. Confirm that you are about to edit by pressing "up/enter". Now a number is displayed--this is the control change channel--it determines what is going to be manipulated (volume, pan, effect parameters, etc.) With a keyboard or midi sound module, you have to read the keyboards manual and find out what control change channel volume is on (usually 07), then tell the 1010 to send out a c.c.command on c.c.channels 07. HOwever with Live, life is easier because you can arbitrarily assign any c.c.channel to any knob or effect parameter in Live--the only catch is to make sure there are no overlaps. For instance, if you assinged a patch to turn Lives master volume to a fixed place on c.c.channel 54, but also had another different patch where you turn the auto filter on using c.c.channel 54, whenever you hit either of those patches, it would manipulate both the master volume and the auto filter, so one and only one c.c.channel per thing you wish to manipulate with 1010. So back to our patch. YOu hit up/enter to confirm that we are editing the midi control change command sent, and a number started flashing. Lets make that number 101 (hit "1" then "0" then "1") just for fun. then hit up/enter to confirm. now another number flashes--this number represents the value of the controle change 1-127 (like 0=minimum, 127=maximum). SOmetimes a control change is used to simply turn things on or off, like stating recording of a clip in live. Since these types of commands are usually on or off, they are not like a volume knob. Therefore, often a range of control change values will have the same effect (it is common for ccvalues 1-63 to turn something off, while values 64-127 turn it on). back to the patch. Lets choose 127, as we are making a patch to record a clip in live, and it want any number from 64-127. hit "1" then "2" then 7" and the confirm with up/enter. NOw the "6" light should be lit. If any other lights are lit besides 6, hold them until they shut off. Now exit programming mode with a long "down" press, and we should be back to bank 02, with the "3" pedal lit up. Patch 3 on bank 2 is now programmed to send a control change command on control change channel 102, with a control change value of 127. In live go to edit midi map, and mouse click on a clip slot on a track. then hit your patch on the 1010 (just hit "3"). a number should appear in live. Now exit the midi map in live. now hit you patch again ("3") and recording should start in the clip slot (if you are quantizing, you'll need to start playback then hit you patch). hit your patch again to stop the clip from recording and loop it. See my previous messages for quantiztion info.

Say you wanted to edit an expression pedal of a patch. lets do patch 4 in bank 2. with 02 showing (means your in bank 2), hit pedal "4". you just selected that patch. now hold "down" for a bit to enter programming mode. Hold down the pedals that have lights lit until all pedal lights are out. now hold down "8" until it is lit, then tap it to make it flash. then hit up/enter to confirm you're about to edit exp pedal "a" for this patch (exp. pedal b is controlled by "9" is the same way exp pedal a is controlled by "8"). First select the control change channel the pedal will send info on (1-127)--lets choose 98--hit "9" then "8" then up/enter to confirm. Now another number is flashing--this is the lowest range your pedal will send, if we using this as a volume pedal, and we want it to go all the way to silence, choose "00" here (by hitting "0" then "0"). if we want the volume to not fully cut off when the pedal is fully back choose a value higher, like 28. confirm your choice by pressing up/enter. now yet another number appears--this is the upper range of the exp. pedal. If we want to be able to go to full volume, choose 127 then up/enter to confirm. NOw the "8" light should be lit. hold "down" to exit programming mode, and were back to bank 02, patch 4. now when you select patch 4 in bank 2 on the 1010 (by simply hittin "4" while in bank 02) the exp pedal A is will send control change commands on control change channel 98, when fully back the pedal will transmit a signal of 28 (or whatever you chose), and when fully forward it will send a value of 127 (max). It will smoothly glide between these two values as you rock exp pedal a back and forth. now all thats left is to tell Live what to do with this midi information. Goto edit midi map in live, and click on the parameter in Live you wish to link to. then hit your 1010 patch or exp pedal to link to parameter. repeat as neccesary.

surely you are fast asleep by now and have thrown your 1010 out the window, just kidding, they are great controllers for the price! Have fun!.

ryan
Jesus Christ!!!