REWIRE: Live with Fl Studio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jimmyalba

REWIRE: Live with Fl Studio

Post by jimmyalba » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:19 pm

Trying to rewire Live with FlStudio 4.5. I can hear any sounds generated in Fl but Fl can't detect any midi in from my midi keyboard. I've tried playing about with midi settings but just get the effin thing to work. This means I can't play my VSTi's in rewire mode which is what I'm looking to do. I'm sure it's a midi routing problem but any help would be appreciated

I'm using the Terratec DMX 6Fire
Last edited by jimmyalba on Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:46 pm

Hello, I have the same problem! I am using a BitstreamPro midicontroller connected to a terratec phase 26 audiocard for tweaking knobs in Live 3.0.1, this works. But for my 2th midicontroller (evolution uc-33 connected directly to an usb port), wich I want to use for remoting FL 4.5 producer in rewire mode, I can select it in the FL midi settings menu but FL doesn`t receive any midi data, not from the uc-33 nor from the Bitstream! Is it possible that Live is blocking something there? I´ve read about Live and Reason rewired and it seems that you can use the same midicontroller for the 2 apps there! Please help!
Greetings 8)

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:06 pm

you need to use the free midi ox/yoke software to create virtual midi ports on your pc, then you can route one midi in port to two apps...search these forums for "FL" and "ox" or "yoke" and you'll find a recent thread dealing with this issue.

Ryan

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:22 pm

I have just now downloaded FL 4.51 and found the same bug. When rewired to Live FL Studio is not getting and midi info from my keyboard, but when I run FL 4.51 alone it works fine. I really don't have time to hunt down "MIDI ox" or whatever freeware so I hope it gets straightened out. My guess is that the FL Studio guys didn't get the Rewire coded rewired. Ableton's rewire works perfectly with Reason. Oh well, at least I now know its not just my setup. Misery loves company.
Thanks anyway for the midi yoke tip.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:41 pm

Hello Guest! I already have 2 midicontrollers connected to 2 different usb ports and both appear as separate midi ins in Live and in FL when they are rewired together, but they only work in Live! What I want to know: Is it Live or FL that blocks? About the midi OX/Yoke topic in this forum: I haven`t anything!
Greetings
8)

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:09 pm

serotoninsteve (nice name!) here's that thread:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Yeah, its weird that your two midi controllers aren't happening. Haven't ever tried, but I'll try hooking up my EZbus and see if I can get two different hardware midi ports going, one for Live, one for FL. So you can get either controller working in Live standalone? Can you get either working in FL standalone? In FL, you need to make sure to enable remote controll input in the options menu.

Geraldo: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't use one midi hardware in to control both Live and rewired Reason simulataneously, can you? If so, call me an idiot, cause I know I tried, and found midi ox to be the solution. If this is true, the same applies to FL rewired to live--I'm pretty sure its not a bug--you need to have a seperate midi port, be it hardware, or the virtual ox/yoke ports.

Ryan

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:45 pm

Hello Ryan!
Both controllers are correctly installed and work on the 2 different apps correctly! But as I wrote, I already heard about that you can control Live and Reason from 1 midicontroller!
Greetings 8)

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:24 pm

serotoninsteve wrote:Hello Ryan!
Both controllers are correctly installed and work on the 2 different apps correctly! But as I wrote, I already heard about that you can control Live and Reason from 1 midicontroller!
Greetings 8)
yes, but I'm pretty sure thats only via midi ox, that was the only way I could ever do it. Does FL's midi light flash when its rewired and you have the second midi controller selected? have you tried monkeying with FL's midi settings and midi channels on which your transmitting/recieving? Maybe try a very stripped-down Live set and FL set. Open each app on its own first to make sure both apps are set to 16 bit/44.1--FL seems to really want to be set at 16/44.1...

Ryan

jimmyalba

Post by jimmyalba » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:35 am

GOT IT SUSSED!!

Cheers guys for the midi yoke/ox tips. downloaded and installed them both earlier and I've now got FL rewired as slave to live, awesome. Had to make sure that I opened the midi ox application first and defined my soundcard as input and 2 yoke outputs one for live one for FL. Then you have to run live and set it's input to one of the yoke inputs (yoke 1 in my case), open midi OX and finally Fl where you have to set it's remote control input in midi settings to the second midi yoke input (yoke 2 this time). Ensure you've enabled remote control input in FL and that you've set live to monitor the FL input and fingers crossed it should work. Takes a bit of fiddlin about but worth it.

global goon

Post by global goon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:02 am

in rewire mode, you have to do this each time fl studio starts in rewire mode -------------->

tick "enable remote control" in the options menu
press f10 and set the remote control channel to your midi device

--------------------------------------------

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:38 am

I open ableton, then ox (I have my settings saved, and it defaults to the last saved settings (i think)), then FL. My pc seems to remember my settings so that I just open the apps in that order and am off and running..:)

Ryan

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:30 pm

Hello all! Forget what I wrote! It´s as global goon wrote, you have to check "enable remote control" every time you open FL! Then it works with 2 different controllers without using midi ox/yoke!
Some ideas for using 2 different midicontrollers for remoting FL (midikeyboard and uc 33) because they are listed as 2 different midi ins in the menu and in FL you can check only one midi input, not as in Live where you can check 2 different controllers? Merge them to one midi in with midi ox?
Greetings 8)

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:02 pm

Geraldo: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't use one midi hardware in to control both Live and rewired Reason simulataneously, can you? If so, call me an idiot, cause I know I tried, and found midi ox to be the solution. If this is true, the same applies to FL rewired to live--I'm pretty sure its not a bug--you need to have a seperate midi port, be it hardware, or the virtual ox/yoke ports.
I can play and control Reason instruments with my midi keyboard controller Rewired to Live as the Master. I can also assign the same controller to any midi keymap object in Live at the same time. So Rewire can transmit midi through Live to Reason and control both apps simultaneously. Everything works as as advertised so I was surprised to find FL Studio did not provide the same functionality with their implementation of Rewire. Of course I suppose the Propellerheads team has the advantage considering they wrote Rewire. However, I would never call you an idiot unless of course you are asking Ableton to provide midi sequencing and VSTi support in Live. Then in my estimation you would be an idiot. :wink:

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:51 pm

Hello!
For Live & Reason I didn`t try out, I just read about that you can use one controller for remoting the 2 apps without midi ox/yoke!
But what I want to do: For the moment I have 2 controllers, for remoting Live a BitstreamPro connected to my usb phase26 audiomidicard that appears in Live as Phase26midi in and an evolution uc-33 connected to a separate usb port for controlling FL that appears in FL ass UC-33 midi in 1.
Now I want to connect a midikeyboard for playing FL to the midi in on my uc-33, then the keyboard appears in FL ass UC-33 midi in 2, but in FL I can only assign one midicontroller at 1 time (not as in Live where you can choose 2 different controllers).
Due to the uc-33 has no integrated midi merge function for the 2 midistreams I want to know if I can build something with midiox?
Even when midiox is enabled, I never see ports like yoke NT in my midi in menus! What do I wrong?
Greetings 8)

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:09 pm

Hello!
I´ve got it to work with midiox/yokeNT!
I´ve had to remove some driver entries in regedit, they are limited to 10!
Now I can use 3 controllers together for remoting my setup, but it seems sometimes a bit slow in graphics and unstable.
I will try out!
Greetings 8)
read this topic:http://www.rme-audio.de/english/faq/10entrye.htm