Footswitch to start/stop recording

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
davy

Footswitch to start/stop recording

Post by davy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:00 pm

After considering buying behringer's fcb1010 foot controller i thought this one would be a bit too big for the job. I just want to start/stop clip recording hands free while playing guitar/keyboard.

I have a midi keyboard (i actually have 2 :)) with both an option to connect a foot switch and sustain pedal... so i thought... i'm going to buy a simple foot switch.

the guy at the store offered me a boss fs-5l. but it seems not to be good for stomping it.

what i want to do is hit the thing with my foot to start recording, hit the thing again when i'm done to stop recording.

does anyone have any idea/experience of which switch is good for this?

thanks a lot!!!

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:03 pm

I have some unlabeled plain old Yamaha footswitch connected to my BCR, I have it set up so that when I hold it down it starts recording, when I let it up it stops recording. Totally doable with a plain old guitar stomp box switch.

acroberts

Post by acroberts » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:37 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:I have some unlabeled plain old Yamaha footswitch connected to my BCR, I have it set up so that when I hold it down it starts recording, when I let it up it stops recording. Totally doable with a plain old guitar stomp box switch.
Newb here - what steps in Ableton did you take to do this? When you step off the pedal, it stops recording and loops? Or do you trigger the loop with something else?

-drew

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 pm

acroberts wrote:
DeadlyKungFu wrote:I have some unlabeled plain old Yamaha footswitch connected to my BCR, I have it set up so that when I hold it down it starts recording, when I let it up it stops recording. Totally doable with a plain old guitar stomp box switch.
Newb here - what steps in Ableton did you take to do this? When you step off the pedal, it stops recording and loops? Or do you trigger the loop with something else?

-drew
id also like to know but im guessing its to do with the launch mode you use?

scottfro

Post by scottfro » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 am

anyone care to give a bit more advice on this topic of a very simple midi pedal.