My short romance with a macbook pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:07 am

Lamont wrote:My Macbook pro is running smoothly.
1.83 ghz
80gb HD
2gb ram

It's one of the early revisions, all is lovely (I'm lucky I guess), it does run a bit hot though, but hey, no biggie.
About the lack of software, there's more and more stuff coming out for intel mac's every day ...patience. I remember the same complaints when the switch from os 9 to os x occured. Right now I'm perfectly content with logic pro 7.2.1 and ableton live for music production.
Same here run good.I bit hot but,i gave my powerbookpro back to store where i bought it because it runs very hot, they told me this is normal.Also they checked the book for 24hours with a special programm but they didn't find any problem.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

Machinesworking

Re: am I?

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:36 am

veggieryan wrote:am I a troll for trying to save honest people from wasting their money?

people.. the second revision of macbooks should be coming out soon.. at the very least.. hold your horses until the issues are fixed.

sheesh!
No you're a troll because you spread rumors and conjecture based on a highly subjective experience of your own, disregarding all information to the contrary in support of your overreaction.

1. My macbook pro makes no noise, period.

2. I have no hardware issues with it period.

3. Supatrigga is Universal Binary, so you didn't do your homework on the Intel macs, even after your "horrible" experience.

4. You complain about not being able to use PC only apps, on one of the only macs that can run XP! :P

Think very carefully about how completely damming the ramifications of the preceding sentence are. You not only didn't bother to check to see if your windows apps would run in OSX, you didn't bother to see if you could dual boot your macbook.... in fact I just tend to think you are making this crap up.
A comparable Dell is about 350$ cheaper than the macbook pro I own right now, Dell is having a $350 coupon drive. So you're quoting three times higher prices than I personally have seen. Dells are not expensive laptops.
The line about macbooks having 10X more problems than PC laptops.... goes back to the total subjectiveness of your "research".

Anyway, I'm doing what I said I wouldn't do, have any interaction with you at all..... I just don't buy your story dude, it's too fishy. The part about the Apple store, total cheese...

njh

Post by njh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:41 am

Machinesworking wrote:
veggieryan wrote:am I a troll for trying to save honest people from wasting their money?

people.. the second revision of macbooks should be coming out soon.. at the very least.. hold your horses until the issues are fixed.

sheesh!
No you're a troll because you spread rumors and conjecture based on a highly subjective experience of your own, disregarding all information to the contrary in support of your overreaction.

quote]
he is niether spreading rumors nor being a troll
he is sharing his experience with would be buyers.
him sharing his experience is not going to make your beautifull macbook go down in value.
there are alot of people who have had the same experience's as him with the macbook.. get off his ass!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:57 am

I'm eager to get one of these too, sooner or later.... but reports like this make me wait for a rev that actually works.

band-x

Post by band-x » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 pm

If any one has problems with their macbook pro 15" battery causing random shutdowns and other niggly things, they can get a free battery replacement from apple if your battery is on the list:

https://support.apple.com/macbookpro15/ ... index.html

Personally, I bought an iMac 2GHz with 1GB RAM and a 256MB Graphic card and the only problem I experienced was Front Row cutting up on screen. That was fixed within 2 weeks of its release, and was to do with the ATI Card Kernel.

10.4.7. No Problems. Windows XP on Parallels. Fine.

I also bought mine to develop web sites and was extremely unhappy with the performance of Studio 8 under Rosetta. So I bought parallels, installed Dreamweaver, Flash etc on Windows and it's spot on. Adobe said before the Macs went on sale that there would be problems and they would not release a UB version until the NEXT releases were due (could be 12 months away)

I don't use many audio plugins (I have Operator and that's enough for me for now - I don't have money to spend on loads of plugins for Mac or PC)
Last edited by band-x on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:23 pm

Machinesworking wrote:

sheesh!

1. My macbook pro makes no noise, period.

2. I have no hardware issues with it period.

3. Supatrigga is Universal Binary, so you didn't do your homework on the Intel macs, even after your "horrible" experience.

4. You complain about not being able to use PC only apps, on one of the only macs that can run XP! :P
Wrong.

He is no troll.

YOU had no noise issues. He did.

YOU have no hardware issues. He had them all.

Suppatrigga came out UB last week.

YOU are willing to buy XP, install it, and risk the integrity of your perfect little machine. Perhaps he is not.

My point being, the real conjecture and rumors happening here is coming from you, MW. It works boths ways, and in the form and verocity its being dished out here, its usually called propaganda.

Fact is, He had a perticularly rare case of everything going wrong with his rig and you had a rare case of nothing going wrong... most MabBooks have had at the very least 2 issues.

I work in a company that has been upgrading their computers with MacBooks and MBpros, and there are only 2 out of 45 that don't run hot, have the whine, or behave the way they are supposed to.

So congrats, MW. You lucked out.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:28 pm

njh wrote: he is niether spreading rumors nor being a troll
he is sharing his experience with would be buyers.
him sharing his experience is not going to make your beautifull macbook go down in value.
there are alot of people who have had the same experience's as him with the macbook.. get off his ass!
I agree--everyone has the right to use the internet to share their experiences (good and bad) about software and hardware. I think it is great that potential buyers (all of us are at one point or another) can read of many different people's experiences, weigh the pros and cons, and make a much more informed decision than the pre-internet days.

Clearly this first generation of macbooks has issues--from heat, to the logic board, to batteries, to thermal grease, and so on. Anyone who would try to deny this has their head in the sand. Sure, some people haven't had many issues, others, like the original poster had almost all of the know issues. he has as much right to post his problems as others do to share their love for their macbooks--give him a break, and consider yourselves lucky that your macbook works as you want it to. I'm sure if he started a thread about how much his compaq sucked, macbook owners would be delighted with glee to share about how sweet macs are and how horrible pcs are. This is the internet--people can share what they want to--for completely biased reporting tune into fox news.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:32 pm

kabuki wrote:Wrong.

He is no troll.

YOU had no noise issues. He did.

YOU have no hardware issues. He had them all.

YOU are willing to buy XP, install it, and risk the integrity of your perfect little machine. Perhaps he is not.

My point being, the real conjecture and rumors happening here is coming from you, MW. It works boths ways, and in the form and verocity its being dished out here, its usually called propaganda.

Fact is, He had a perticularly rare case of everything going wrong with his rig and you had a rare case of nothing going wrong... most MabBooks have had at the very least 2 issues.

I work in a company that has been upgrading their computers with MacBooks and MBpros, and there are only 2 out of 45 that don't run hot, have the whine, or behave the way they are supposed to.

So congrats, MW. You lucked out.
Its a good thing that someone with a little consideration for people is willing to stand up for this guy. Nice one kabuki.
As for the rest of you ... you need to calm down.
You sound like a bunch of kids, hating on someone cause he had a problem with his computer.
Sort your head out and stop taking everything thats said personally.
Its a computer they had problems with ... not your mother. :wink:
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

evoid

Post by evoid » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:56 pm

kabuki wrote:
don't want to be anal about it.. but it came out a long ago...

http://www.ruigato.info
Live Suite 8b16
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz / 4 Gig RAM / 7200 rpm - Quad Q6600 / 8 Gig RAM - OsX 10.5.6
RME Fireface 400 - Jazzmutant Lemur - Nord Modular - Mercurial STC 1000
Reaktor 4 - Reason - Max/MSP 5.0.6

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:17 pm

kabuki wrote:Wrong.

He is no troll.
Right, and his immediate poll on the lameness of Live with his lovely tablet is well founded, and grounded in heaps of rational thinking.....:roll: sorry, I think you're being much more cautious about this than I care to, but if you can't see the pattern here....
KVR has plenty of people with stories of crappy Apple experiences who I wouldn't label trolls. I personally was pissed as hell that my 667 powerbook was slower than my 400 tower, and did my share of internet whining about it. I didn't throw out stories with as many holes as this guy however. :?

Anyway, I'll let you be the judge, 3-6 months from now, we'll see what this guys contribution has been......... So far it's 100% negative.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:38 pm

evoid wrote:
kabuki wrote:
don't want to be anal about it.. but it came out a long ago...

Actually, we were BOTH wrong. It came out the End of June. (30th to be exact) per Bram's posting...

----------------

MW, it just seems that you have a personal issue with the original poster... why take it all so personally? Why care if he doesn't like how Live works on his tablet. I would suggest that he get a Mac ( :wink: ) but I don't think he would be too into hearing it. Regardless, it really doesn't matter, and the thread I posted in was about his bad experience he had with a MacBook (which I personally read a bunch about lately... yikes)

If you don't like what someone says, by all means discuss it, debate it, but don't take it so personally. (Hell, I used to get bent out of shape as well, but it wasn't doing me any good except to look like a dick head).

And for the record, I would take a broken Mac over a working PC any day, but who cares, right?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

robin

Re: or more problems...

Post by robin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:09 pm

veggieryan wrote: and OSX and alot of apple apps are "phoning home" way too much.. very fishy....
I like this bit...

Regardless of whether I believe the OP is a troll: I like MacOSX but I think the hardware could do with a little more attention to detail these days (I have two Powerbooks, one a Rev A 12", no probs).

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:19 pm

jamester wrote:
I had a macbook pro for a while.. at first I was in love...
This sounds like me a few years ago with my 17" Powerbook!

I made the "big switch" after a terrible experience with a very expensive Dell. I blamed Windows, and ran to what I thought was the safety and security of a Mac. I didn't stay long...

While I didn't have any big problems, I found out what the Apple Way really was: Limited choices, and paying 2X-3X as much for them! I put up with it for a few months, then sold it to a buddy of mine and made the switch back. I got a Sony Vaio and things have been lovely ever since. =)

If you need to have Logic or Final Cut Pro, then by all means... But if not, I see no advantage whatsoever to Macs; they are way overpriced, riddled with as many issues as PC's, and will bleed your wallet dry while offering a fraction of the software choices.

Go to the Apple Store and spec your dream Macbook Pro. Then go to a PC company like Prostar, and build one to the exact same specs. Then ask yourself what you want to buy with the extra $1200 you'll save....

:wink:
With that $1200 you can buy a dedicated PC to go onto the Ableton forum with.

I'm with Rob. This vegetable guy is a troll. Forgive me for feeding him lunch.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote: With that $1200 you can buy a dedicated PC to go onto the Ableton forum with.

I'm with Rob. This vegetable guy is a troll. Forgive me for feeding him lunch.
I read Mr. Veg's posts. Sounds like his only crime is postinng a feature wish into the wrong forum...

Nothing trollish about them. He is not flaming anyone (that I found), he is not attacking anyone personally.

He is posting a feature he would like addressed (as we ALL have). Isn't thaty how Live is as good as it is anyway - because we post our needs and the Abs make them happen (most of them)?

Am I atroll for posting repeatedly (and am ignored repeatedly by the Abs) that I wand Crossfaer curves.

Fuck no.

veggieryan

wow..

Post by veggieryan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:05 pm

people are getting fiesty....
just consider that on my new toshiba m7 tablet the ONLY problem I have is ableton's faulty tablet support. ( tablets work on macbook pros too guys...) and you dont HAVE to use the tablet for the knobs and sliders so its not a show stopper.. its still awesome for drawing envelopes, XY controls, the mysteron theremin, reaktor instruments and tablet2midi. not to mention artrage, flash and photoshop... if you are an artist its really useful.
furthermore... I have no hardware issues, and all my software works!
Its funny because for the first week I was telling all my friends to get a mac.. then I realized it was crashing all the time and I had to take it back. I even bought a white macbook for my boss, which ironicly is a more solid machine, and he only uses it for email, photos and itunes so he is VERY happy.. but if you are a power user with 40 apps open at once doing music and making websites, you MAY get some grey screens of death... (it really happened alot to me even after a reinstall... i really tried hard guys..) For normal users with 10 apps open, you may not have a problem... I think its just too many new apps mixing with old ones.. some in rosetta..some native.. it will take time to get it all sorted out...
If the macbook pro was working 100% correctly I would be the biggest mac fanboy, believe me. I really like those commercials, and OSX looks really sexy.. its just about a year from 100% readiness... (in MY opinion)
I will be seriously evaluating the core2duo macbook pros... if they ever make a tablet my credit card is waiting.
In the mean time I sold it and got a toshiba m7... I felt really good about this decision and decided to share that with the forum so others could maybe learn something... please don't call me a troll... I like macs too!