generative ambient

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
logickal

Post by logickal » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:58 am

Angstrom - thanks for posting those - fun stuff!

To anyone who is interested, the latest episode of my podcast is up, which is based around these two tracks of Roberts plus some re-interpretation of my own. :) Only 25:08, but not something to operate heavy equipment to.

http://www.offnominal.com/blog/2006/07/ ... ity-lakes/
logickal - audioworks and sound design
Flight Dynamics - http://www.offnominal.com
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GBRAM, 100GB HD, M-Audio MobilePre USB
Remote 25 SL

ekko

Post by ekko » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:50 am

Consider me schooled. I've been studying these all evening and am now discovering a completely new way of using Live. Thank you.

wankee

sorry i can't resist too....

Post by wankee » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:05 am

not generative but certainly ambient...

http://mediacomposer.free.fr/mp3/mediac ... _07_06.mp3

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:32 pm

Robert Henke wrote:..more:

http://www.monolake.de/audiofiles/gener ... 072006.mp3

-six session tracks, mostly with this structure in each track:
-some clips with random follow actions and different settings of FA time and quantise
-Random>Scale>Chord>Operator>EQ>Reverb>Beat Repeat
-one send with Filter Deleay
-master with EQ>CompressorII>Saturator all massively compressed and pumping.

and then launch first scene and go drink some coffee while recording the result into track seven in session view. afterwards opening file in iTunes, convert to mp3, upload and write this text.

okay, forgot to mention i made this with my laptop using the build in speakers. might sound like crap over a PA....

enjoy anyway.

Robert

// as soon as Live 6 is in public beta i will make the sets public also.
Robert would you be up for posting up even a basic generative file - i cant get my head around how this stuff works.. would be ace to see somthing very simple from you so ic an rip apart and build on up!!

ekko

Post by ekko » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:07 pm

jeskola wrote: Robert would you be up for posting up even a basic generative file - i cant get my head around how this stuff works.. would be ace to see somthing very simple from you so ic an rip apart and build on up!!
Download Angstrom's files, too. Those REALLY opened my eyes.

4am

Post by 4am » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:I may as well post these again from the 'matrix' thread. None of these us any kind of sample or midi, but you do have to press play to make the beat repeaters work.

download an abstracty number

Download the sort of groovy ALS

Download a melodic Tangerine Dream style Generative ALS

I have more of this sort of stuff, it's music for when I dont feel like making music!
8O thx for posting

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Wow, Angstrom, these are Live sets which make my heart jump.
Thanx for posting !!!!!!!!!!

Robert

nolus

Post by nolus » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Angstrom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what to say.

Those sets are inspirational
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:34 pm

Hey,
thanks guys :D

I think the first one is the most obviously generative - as it changes most, although the others to mutate a bit if you leave them alone long enough.
As you seem to like them so much I've put another one up. This one is my current favourite, it is much more random yet still seems to be melodic and entertaining.

Download the >>>Angstrom Self Gen thingy number 4 <<<

it takes a little while to get itself together because of all the feedbacks between things. It only seems to be a 'song' after about a minute !
definitely my favourite :)

deva

Post by deva » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks Angstrom... unique approach and they sound interesting... I learned something there!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:26 pm

if anyone wants to know how it works, then feel free to ask
it will be more fun explaining that than troubleshooting the damn VPS I am meant to be working on right now.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:27 pm

So Angstrom, how does it work?

;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:46 pm

Machinate wrote:So Angstrom, how does it work?

;)

well, since you ask.

the broadband noise produced by the vinyl and saturator combo is turned into a 16th note click every 1 bar by the 'Tap' channel. Each of the Chords and the bong noises use that as a trigger - to stop them all sounding evey single bar they use a beat repeat, each beat repeat is set so that there is a % chance that each chord will sound.
Now that each chord is sending probably on its own it gets sent to the BRP channel, what that does is send the incoming chord into 3 channels of further beat repeaters. The reason these 3 are on 3 different channels is because they are set on 'gate' which means they will only let a note out when the trigger happens - otherwise nothing comes though. If they were all on the same channel the cumulative gate cutoffs would make nothing come out - as they would all silence each other!
Time1 sends back into the delay which filters then passes back to the BRP return producing a feedback loop.

The BRP return actually includes a reverb so that when the various beatrepeaters trigger they are generally presenting parts of chopped up reverb.

ah, yes, definitely better than SSH terminals.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:49 pm

So Angstrom, what is your take on the pros and cons of AutoPan vs. BeatRepeat?

Discuss.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Nev

Post by Nev » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:54 pm

Angstrom wrote:I may as well post these again from the 'matrix' thread. None of these us any kind of sample or midi, but you do have to press play to make the beat repeaters work.

download an abstracty number

Download the sort of groovy ALS

Download a melodic Tangerine Dream style Generative ALS

I have more of this sort of stuff, it's music for when I dont feel like making music!
Could you post more or even PM me :wink:, the Tangerine Dream type one is amazing, this is such a fantastic idea, not even any clips!

Amazing. I've just had this running in the background at work for twenty minutes!

Must search and find that matrix thread...

Nev