macbook pro users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

macbook pro users

Post by john gordon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:56 am

anyone running windows yet?how is the performance?

Jomdom

Post by Jomdom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:07 am

"No one cares, no one sympathizes; you just stay home and play synthesizers."
- Flight of the Conchords

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:21 am

thanks.seems like too much trouble

lummux

Post by lummux » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:30 am

I use XP on my MBP all the time, mainly for recording, because a lot of my plugins aren't UB yet (come on NI, for f**k's sake).

So I boot into OS X for live use, so I have stability.

However, I've never had any major problems in XP (well, no more than on any other machine). The performance is superb (about 21% in the Live performance test), far FAR better than the AMD 4200 x64 I used to have.

Battery life seems lower in XP (about 1 hour as opposed to 2 and a bit) but that's probably because I use "Always On" in power management.

If you are pplanning to use the onboard sound, be aware that the drivers are not currently working properly, the headphone socket does not work, but there is a workaround for this, but on my machine it seems to be at the expense of the speakers. Other users have reported success though.

I also play games on it with great success, HL2 and BF2 both look superb. Oblivion didn't, though.

You'll need an external mouse to get right click in XP. There's a program that will enable CTRL-Click, but then you can't drag-copy anything!

Transferring files between the operating systems is a pain, you can read XP files from MAC OS, but you can't see the MAC OS partition at all in XP, unless you use a utility called MacDrive, but it wouldn't work for me. Other option is to use an external drive, or a USB key.

On the whole, highly recommended. BootCamp was a big selling point for me. I possiby wouldn't have bought a MacBook if it hadn't provided a stable platform for XP as well.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:13 am

[quote="lummux"]I use XP on my MBP all the time, mainly for recording, because a lot of my plugins aren't UB yet (come on NI, for f**k's sake).

So I boot into OS X for live use, so I have stability.

However, I've never had any major problems in XP (well, no more than on any other machine). The performance is superb (about 21% in the Live performance test), far FAR better than the AMD 4200 x64 I used to have.

Battery life seems lower in XP (about 1 hour as opposed to 2 and a bit) but that's probably because I use "Always On" in power management.

If you are pplanning to use the onboard sound, be aware that the drivers are not currently working properly, the headphone socket does not work, but there is a workaround for this, but on my machine it seems to be at the expense of the speakers. Other users have reported success though.

I also play games on it with great success, HL2 and BF2 both look superb. Oblivion didn't, though.

You'll need an external mouse to get right click in XP. There's a program that will enable CTRL-Click, but then you can't drag-copy anything!

Transferring files between the operating systems is a pain, you can read XP files from MAC OS, but you can't see the MAC OS partition at all in XP, unless you use a utility called MacDrive, but it wouldn't work for me. Other option is to use an external drive, or a USB key.

On the whole, highly recommended. BootCamp was a big selling point for me. I possiby wouldn't have bought a MacBook if it hadn't provided a stable platform for XP as well.[/quote
thanks for the info.does your audiocard work in xp

lummux

Post by lummux » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:15 am

Yeah, the Firebox works fine, and the onboard does too with ASIO4ALL, except currently only on headphones