Live 6 review - part 1

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:37 pm

why are people being particularly annoying today?

anyone?

bueller?

bueller?

loophead

Post by loophead » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:40 pm

AdamJay wrote:why are people being particularly annoying today?

anyone?

bueller?

bueller?
Cause he felt we were ignoring him :wink: But I answered in the positive - so all is well in the world - :roll:
Last edited by loophead on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:44 pm

AdamJay wrote:Angstrom,

We are still in alpha

NOTHING is set in stone.
I apreciate that Adam, but the issue that sits behind the recording of controllers in session is conceptual - the issue of the Absolute arrangement and the Relative Session.

From what I know - it has been discussed within Ableton and there is no agreement on it. That is a pretty key point before the technical issues even begin.
On a technical side : Normally new features are not added in a beta of software - betas are for eliminating bugs rather than adding features.
It is possible that an agreement will be reached just before the beta, but altering teh control substructure with 6 weeks to go before launch seems very unlikely to me.

Of course you may have better information on this than me, perhaps Robert or Gerhard have told you that they are close to implementation. But from where I sit - altering the substructure is a lot different than adding a new button (for example) . Different and harder. therefore very unlikely.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:49 pm

Making the loop fit in the window was not taken away in Live 5 -- just click on the word "Length" (or position, start, end for that matter).

Regarding Flatten, you can undo as much as you want (until you save), but not unflatten. But if you think you ever want to "unflatten" just stay in freeze mode, where you can edit/etc to your hearts content.

Deep freeze is my favorite new feature, in conjunction with "Duplicate Track" -- a great way to layer 10 or so reaktors, Loung Lizards, String Studios and Moog Modulars.

Thank you campers for clarifying so much of this!
J

ikke

Post by ikke » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:50 pm

a darn, i see there is no more EQ Four? Thats a shame.. I mean you could throw a dozen of those EQs on all your traks and you wont notice a cpu usage difference.. I hope this is the same for EQ Eight? :(

And how is the overall performance?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:55 pm

I would imagine you can turn 4 bands off if you want a retro experience ;)

eq 8 reads good to me , lots of good points, I won't miss eq4

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:59 pm

Pandamonium wrote:Sweetjesus:-

Is it possible to load the content from the Kontakt 2 Library?

Does sampler allow using as a drum sampler ie:- Choke groups for hhats etc?

Have there been any changes to Impulse?
one of the first things I did was load up 3 samplers in a group and import 3 kontakt kits (electro kit 1,2, & 3) and make a kit from them but using the pitch plugin to transpose them all so i could have a kit that went right up the keyboard

to my knowledge there's no choke
But I was playing about with it a fair bit and did get a response from one of the abletons who was obviously invloved alot in the sampler and his comment was that sampler was not intended to be used as a big drum module

so it doesnt ,matter because I have been using it as one, but things like choke I wouldnt hold your breath

AFAIK the only change at all to impulse is there are now hot swap buttons on the slots

but of course the main thing is you can stack a bunch of them together to make a bigger kit

I actually whinged a bit because you cant apparently change the midi assignements for the impulse slot, so if you want to make a big kit you have to use a scale or pitch plug-in to get them on the right keys - otherwise they all are on C3-C4

but this is actually pretty easily worked around using scale I'm told - I used sampler with pitch plugs in the end because I still dont know how to use the scale plug-in - for some reason I'm scared of it

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:00 pm

Angstrom wrote:I would imagine you can turn 4 bands off if you want a retro experience ;)

eq 8 reads good to me , lots of good points, I won't miss eq4
It actually still loads up as eq4. You have to turn the other 4 bands on first to make it an eq 8 ;).
It also allows you right, left or linked control of the signal..

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:03 pm

ikke wrote:a darn, i see there is no more EQ Four? Thats a shame.. I mean you could throw a dozen of those EQs on all your traks and you wont notice a cpu usage difference.. I hope this is the same for EQ Eight? :(

And how is the overall performance?
yeah it's only an improvement - it defaults to them being off unless you are using them

ikke

Post by ikke » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:08 pm

sounds great!

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Forge - Does Impulse have complex stretching now? What about automating Mutes & Solos?

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:17 pm

tylast wrote:Forge - Does Impulse have complex stretching now? What about automating Mutes & Solos?
AFAIK the only change at all to impulse is there are now hot swap buttons on the slots

automating Mutes & Solos - I'd have to check

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:23 pm

tylast wrote:Forge - Does Impulse have complex stretching now? What about automating Mutes & Solos?
just loaded and tested - no mute/solo auto

solo auto would be cool throughout

for now the best workaround might be to assign a button to the volume of each slot then you will have an absolute on/off which is the same as a mute

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:39 pm

that's typically an example of a repeted request that should take 5 min to answer by coding that feature. chocke is the same exemple. with live, it now takes one year to have some minor improvement.

were still in alpha, I agree, and hope, but do you think they ll code in some weeks what they forgot to code last year?? I hope you re right.

womoma

Post by womoma » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:52 pm

Hi Adam / Sweet Jesus

Sorry if this question has been brushed over before.

Like many other Live noodlers, I like to sample myself, very often.

I really dont like bookmark style linking, ie, when I drag something to the browser, its not consoliodated. This can cause problems if I move samples around.

I tend to bounce new clips to audio by exporting from the session view.

Is it now possible to "bounce to the browser", ie export a rendered audio clip directly into the browser by dragging and dropping, rather than going through the file menu?

Thanks for any info on this...