Using Ableton Live :: Mixing Audio and Visual

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Never used Resolume, but if you head over to http://www.vjforums.com, you'll probably find someone who uses it with Live.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:39 pm

hambone1 wrote:Never used Resolume, but if you head over to http://www.vjforums.com, you'll probably find someone who uses it with Live.
thanx man , i'll try it.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 pm

nobbystylus--GarageCube has a beta of M8 2.5 you can download that's UB with limited FreeFrame support. Have you checked it out?

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:22 am

John Sweet wrote:nobbystylus--GarageCube has a beta of M8 2.5 you can download that's UB with limited FreeFrame support. Have you checked it out?
yeah i downloaded but havent tryed it yet , i got to try , visual vj, robotfunk,garagecube,neon and more to compare trhem and see witch is the best for mr , at the moment i love resolume.

what about you ?

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:25 pm

I cant get enough of Arkaos.
I just love the way you can load up hundreds of clips, right across a keyboard.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:21 pm

RePeter wrote:I cant get enough of Arkaos.
I just love the way you can load up hundreds of clips, right across a keyboard.

i havent truied arkaos , it looks preety simple , have you tried resolume ?

so u can give me an opinion of witch is best ?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:54 pm

I've tried 'em all, and stick with Arkaos VJ. IMO, if you're using a MIDI sequencer to control your VJ app, Arkaos VJ wins hands-down (at least at present), due to the keyboard controller analogy of its interface (which works great with Live clips) and Rewire support. The other VJ apps are designed more with live hands-on VJ performance in mind, although they do have MIDI support.

I'm getting pissed off with the antiquated Arkaos VJ interface and virtually non-existant desire for Arkaos to iron out bugs and make improvements, though. I personally don't think it will be around much longer, and I don't see any plans for Universal Binary support.

peterkirn

Post by peterkirn » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:56 am

Well, the big problem with doing visuals and audio at once is CPU usage. But there's now a very effective way of doing both simultaneously if you're on the Mac:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/06/1 ... -download/

Anything that runs on the 3D card and makes little use of the CPU can coexist with Live. (or you can put it on a separate machine and run video; even then, you're going to love taking advantage of your 3D card) I'm sure we'll soon see similar ideas on Windows, too.

As for apps, I've been very impressed by both Resolume and Modul8. The key issue for me is when you get full 3D support in these apps, because even for video, there are tremendous gains for performance and quality. My own solution has been to build a tool in Jitter; if I ever put some polish on it, I'll release it to everyone else (since the compiled version won't need Jitter to run).

We've talked about doing a VJ app roundup on Create Digital Motion, too, our new site; it'd definitely take some work. Maybe I can put someone ELSE on it. ;)

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:11 am

I run Live and Arkaos VJ on the same computer.

Core Image effects in any VJ app, and Arkaos' HW effects, use the graphics card GPU and not the computer's CPU for processing, like Quartz Composer.

It's software-only CPU effects that suck CPU. I don't use them very often. There is SO much you can do with even Core Image effects only, especially if you're using a lot of live camera feed.

Screen

Post by Screen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote:hi hambone , do you know how to conect live and resolume ?
Resolume has to be used on a separate machine to work effectively with Live, we found using both apps on one machine caused major freezes & crashes due to CPU overload.

Last year we set up Resolume & Live on separate machines linked via MIDI & used Live scenes & clips to trigger various clips on Resolume's decks.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:50 pm

The UB version of Modul8 is working really well, but its not ready for prime time yet. Still quite a few bugs, and midi triggering from live seems a little bit imprecise at the moment (via IAC). I'm a fan of Arkaos but since i've gone Macbook pro its no use to me really.

Modul8 UB is very CPU light for what it does, due as people have said to extensive use of the graphics card for any effects and transformations.

We've still got a bit of thinking and planning to go before it come to fruitiion.
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

coverdale76

Post by coverdale76 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:46 am

Screen wrote: Last year we set up Resolume & Live on separate machines linked via MIDI & used Live scenes & clips to trigger various clips on Resolume's decks.
Hi Screen:

I use both Live 6 & Resolume 2.4, and know scenes & clips trigger. But how could Live send message to trigger Channels in Resolume?

What I guess is: at first, I need a MIDI connector like MIDI port or something for both computers to be connected. Make a MIDI sequence into one clip of a scene, then switch the "MIDI to" of this clip's track to the MIDI port's input and switch on the MIDI input in Resolume to receive this trigger messages. So When the clip was played(launched), each keyboard note will launch each channel's video? Is that right?

But all I wanna do is one clip launch "only" one channel's video. Not each MIDI note to each channel video. Is that possible? Probably how?

Thank you very much~

nfms

Post by nfms » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:33 am

We use ableton live (2 copies) and resolume, connected via midi for live A/V performances. Works quite fine.

(http://www.resolume.com/footage/showreel.php?reel_id=25)
www.optech-dnb.com
www.myspace.com/optechdnb
Dark Audio Visual Drum and Bass
Ableton Live 6 // Resolume 2.4 // Behringer BCF2000 // Zero remote SL // Edirol UA-25 // UC-33 // Access Virus B // Macbook core2duo // 2x SL 1210 // SMX 401

coverdale76

Post by coverdale76 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:46 am

nfms wrote:We use ableton live (2 copies) and resolume, connected via midi for live A/V performances. Works quite fine.

Hi nfms:

Pretty cool showreel!
I've read lots of posts about VJing with Live! Most of them mention ArKaos VJ is the best choice because of the ReWire function supports.

Wonder how your team reach this! But in my personal experience, the MIDI assignment in resolume is a little complicated and inconvient. If compare to the MIDI-maping method of Live!

nfms

Post by nfms » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 pm

coverdale76 wrote:
nfms wrote:We use ableton live (2 copies) and resolume, connected via midi for live A/V performances. Works quite fine.

Hi nfms:

Pretty cool showreel!
I've read lots of posts about VJing with Live! Most of them mention ArKaos VJ is the best choice because of the ReWire function supports.

Wonder how your team reach this! But in my personal experience, the MIDI assignment in resolume is a little complicated and inconvient. If compare to the MIDI-maping method of Live!
Well we've never tried Arkaos, but we didnt really have any problems with Resolume and midi mapping. You have to have some knowledge (or trail and error, but you'll gain knowledge this way ;) ) about MIDI and MIDI-mapping but then it works pretty smooth.

That demo is more than a year old btw, new stuff will be put online this week, so watch the site ;)
www.optech-dnb.com
www.myspace.com/optechdnb
Dark Audio Visual Drum and Bass
Ableton Live 6 // Resolume 2.4 // Behringer BCF2000 // Zero remote SL // Edirol UA-25 // UC-33 // Access Virus B // Macbook core2duo // 2x SL 1210 // SMX 401