Ralph Lawson Xone 3D video !!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nicka

Ralph Lawson Xone 3D video !!!!

Post by nicka » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:58 am

an awesome video of how to use the xone 3D from the awesome ralph lawson resident of the legendary back to basics in leeds

http://www.djmag.com/djtech035 - this is part 1 and there is also parts 2 and 3

Enjoy!!!
Macbook 2.16 C2D - Ozonic - BCF 2000 - Allen & Heath xone 32 - Technics 1210's mk3 - and a badger

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:27 am

thats one of the best ablton videos i seen!

That tip about 0ing the midi for the sliders is ace, never knew that, will make things much betteR!

trip_out

Post by trip_out » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:35 am

jeskola wrote:thats one of the best ablton videos i seen!

That tip about 0ing the midi for the sliders is ace, never knew that, will make things much betteR!
Agreed!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:07 pm

Useful video, but I don't see anything revolutionary about the mixer.

It doesn't seem to be anything but an oversized, overpriced MIDI controller and audio interface.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:30 pm

hambone1 wrote:Useful video, but I don't see anything revolutionary about the mixer.

It doesn't seem to be anything but an oversized, overpriced MIDI controller and audio interface.

plus a great mixer

those xones just plain sound great. i love mixing on them
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:42 pm

Load two tracks - cut between them with that crossfader... then you'll know why... Only then.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

hujib

Post by hujib » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:00 am

hambone1 wrote:It doesn't seem to be anything but an oversized, overpriced MIDI controller and audio interface.
What should it be? The fact it combines a solid dj mixer, control surface and audio interface is great. That plus a laptop and a few extra bits and you're done! Considering the price of all three types of those units on their own and the fuss of setting them up and transporting them, it's not over priced at all in my opinion.

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:48 am

Im with Hambone on this one.

Last week i saw Ralph Lawson do a launch party / presentation for the 3D at Fabric and the whole thing was dissapointing.

The units latency makes it almost unusable.

Mr Lawson's presentation was basic, unenthuastic and problematic.

The first thing he said was that the greatest feature on the 3D was a little knob which lets you scroll through clips....

ANY midi controller would let you do that.... not one that costs £1650

Now dont get me wrong..... I love LEDs and buttons as much as anyone else here, and if I was given one I would be extremely happy, but I dont see anything you can do with it that you cant do by just running a multi channel (low latency) output into a normal Xone mixer.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

robin

Post by robin » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:00 pm

Machinate wrote:Load two tracks - cut between them with that crossfader... then you'll know why... Only then.
Machinate, does the xone do anything differnet to say a uc17 (apart from quality of crossfader...the UC17 is a little, err, rudimentary)?

robin

Post by robin » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:02 pm

hujib wrote:
hambone1 wrote:It doesn't seem to be anything but an oversized, overpriced MIDI controller and audio interface.
What should it be? The fact it combines a solid dj mixer, control surface and audio interface is great. That plus a laptop and a few extra bits and you're done! Considering the price of all three types of those units on their own and the fuss of setting them up and transporting them, it's not over priced at all in my opinion.
Maybe but it is a little oversized to go djing with (unless you've convinced the people your playing for to have it as the house mixer, which I guess isn't impossible).

neodjandre

Post by neodjandre » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:15 pm

oversized or not , Paul Van Dyk is carrying it with him on all his gigs now... why shouldn't we? OK, I am not as cute as him but who cares .... :roll:
ashhh

hujib

Post by hujib » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:34 pm

robin wrote:Maybe but it is a little oversized to go djing with (unless you've convinced the people your playing for to have it as the house mixer, which I guess isn't impossible).
If they want you to play I'm sure they can handle a pair of balenced inputs into the house system or line input of the existing mixer no? If it was simply djing then I agree, it's a bit much but I had moreof a LIVE show in mind.

robin

Post by robin » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:20 pm

hujib wrote:
robin wrote:Maybe but it is a little oversized to go djing with (unless you've convinced the people your playing for to have it as the house mixer, which I guess isn't impossible).
If they want you to play I'm sure they can handle a pair of balenced inputs into the house system or line input of the existing mixer no? If it was simply djing then I agree, it's a bit much but I had moreof a LIVE show in mind.
Yeah for a live show they might allow you some space but for djing most booths are lacking in space so the smallest possible kit is handy a lot of the time.

Ralph Lawson

Post by Ralph Lawson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:04 pm

HI there

just caught this by chance. Thanks for the props on the vid I hope it was helpful.

I do want to just add a few things. Firstly please check the vid for yourself, I am sorry repeter but no one can ever accuse me of being unenthusiastic!!!! I LOVE what I do and I only do what I love. Everyone else I spoke to found the demo very useful so I can only apologise if it wasn't for you.

I just want to make clear I don't work for allen and heath and I was quite dubious about taking this project. It wasn't easy at all and yes there have been bugs as there are with any new project (just read through these pages!!!!). You are correct repeter though that the midi latency is still a problem. But this will be updated as firmware regularly and improved / downloaded for free from A and H. I already have two upgrades from them for my 3D and it is getting better. It certainly is not fast enough to cut hip hop style breaks as yet but for smooth house/techno blends it is sweet. Firing the rotarys off is no problem.

The main buzz about the mixer is that it is all in one. I can testify it sounds AMAZING. The soundcard for the first time gives you the same output as a CDJ1000 (my firewire 1814 was always miles off). It also means that can route things through the mixer in new ways and use the outboard filters on different channels quickly and effectively. I did show you this repeter but maybe not paying attention in class!!! lol

The point about scene control is also very valid as of course you could assign this from a midi controller but to have it all on board and close makes for much faster movements. As well as all in one button (i think only the beringer has this?) I have been using ableton professionally live for bands and DJing for nearly four years now and I have used tonnes of midi controllers and soundcards and I am genuinely buzzing that I can now have it all packed up into one box and basically it makes it much more fun which is what it is all about. If you want some honest advice I would wait a month or two while the latency is improved and then get one to check out on loan. see if you like it.

As far as my maths goes a high quality soundcard plus an A and H 92 plus controllers for me is more expensive than a 3D but hey its up to you I ain't no salesman. Just wanted to let you know. make up your own mind and check the link at the top as pointed out

have FUN!

:D

hujib

Post by hujib » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:38 pm

By "MIDI latecy" are we talking delay with the onboard MIDI CPU of the 3D controller or audio latency from the returning signal being controlled from the MIDI knobs. ???