Getting Live and Reason to work together

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
manos

Getting Live and Reason to work together

Post by manos » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:12 am

Hello all, I am trying to get Reason and Live working together in Rewire, and seem to be stuck.

I start Live up first, then Reason, and Reason correctly says it's in Rewire Slave Mode. However, I can't trigger anything in Reason. I have MIDI disabled, but before you yell "you dumb newb, that's why it doesn't work", I had to disable the MIDI in Reason because every time I start up Reason with MIDI enabled (after Live is already running) I get the error "MIDI Input problem". Seems like Live is not letting MIDI through? Is Rewire supposed to take the place of MIDI or complement it? I'm obviously not getting a crucial point here...

Can someone please enlighten me how this combination is supposed to work? I'm dying to try it out, it seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Thanks!

P.S. I have Live 3, Reason 2.5, and an Audiophile 2496 PCI card. Live works fine on it's own, so does Reason, just not together.

jho

Post by jho » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:27 pm

Make sure you create a Reason channel "In" on one of your live tracks before you launch reason....

If you are in the USA then the USA support phone number at the live site (it's m-audio support i beleive) answers the phone straight up and will help you through. I've found their support to be very good.

manos

Post by manos » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:01 pm

thanks for the suggestion - just tried it, but unfortunately it didn't work. I still get the MIDI error in Reason when starting it up.

I tried turning off all the MIDI in Reason again (I'm still not clear on whether Rewire functions like MIDI, therefore MIDI is unnecessary in Reason, or whether MIDI needs to be working in Reason and Live as well as Rewire), but that didn't work either. No errors, but I still can't trigger any sound from within Reason.

Maybe I'll try that tech support idea, thanks again.

qminusi

Re: Getting Live and Reason to work together

Post by qminusi » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:00 am

[quote]I get the error "MIDI Input problem". Seems like Live is not letting MIDI through? [/quote]

Hello,
some new midi drivers have multiclient support. This means that you can use the same midi interface in different programs simultaneously. If you selected a midi interface in Live and the midi driver does not support more then one client you got this problem. Try to get the latest drivers for your interface or use the midi iface in Reason and disable it in Live. As far as I know does Live only send controllers to the output device so there is no midi through.

This howto might help as well:
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/r ... owto3.html

Sincerely
Karl
Peace ... please ... I beg you ...
Karlie May - Switzerland
http://www.bebop.ch

manos

Post by manos » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:19 am

Thanks for the help, but it appears it's not going to work right now.

In fact, I just got off the phone with Ableton tech support in the US, and they said it worked with their Mac, but when they tried it on an XP box, they got the same problem I did (I'm using Windows XP Pro). So they said I may have 'discovered a bug', and they are reporting it to Ableton central, or whatever/wherever bugs get reported to :)

So hey, on one hand I'm kind of proud to find/report this. On the other, it's a bit of a downer, as I get no Rewire fun.

I thought I wanted an iBook bad before, now I REALLY want one ;)

(looking back at my first post, I guess it was kind of a glaring error on my part not to post my OS - I'm so used to Windows being the 'default' in most areas, I guess this is one field where I'm in probably in the minority - heh)

qminusi

Post by qminusi » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:52 am

[quote="manos"]In fact, I just got off the phone with Ableton tech support in the US, and they said it worked with their Mac, but when they tried it on an XP box, they got the same problem I did (I'm using Windows XP Pro). So they said I may have 'discovered a bug', and they are reporting it to Ableton central, or whatever/wherever bugs get reported to :)[/quote]

Hello,

I'm using WinXP pro as well, you are not alone ;-)

I don't think its a bug. Midiman can't afford this. Try the latest drivers here:
http://www.midiman.com/support/driversearch.php

Or/And:
1. Start Live and be shure you don't have any midi driver selected in the live prefs,
2. then close Live,
3. then start Live again,
4. start Reason and select your midi device. A quick view on the web page does not show multiclient support for their midi drivers.

Tell me if the error still comes up.

If not then:
1. Select Reason for the in-type
2. Select the used Reason in-channels
3. Set the track to record mode
4. play reason to see & hear if you get any sound

In some cases a player can catch the midi device if its set as standard in the windows audio settings.

Sincerely
Karl
Peace ... please ... I beg you ...
Karlie May - Switzerland
http://www.bebop.ch

manos

beeyootiful

Post by manos » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:02 am

qminusi wrote: Or/And:
1. Start Live and be shure you don't have any midi driver selected in the live prefs,
2. then close Live,
3. then start Live again,
4. start Reason and select your midi device. A quick view on the web page does not show multiclient support for their midi drivers.

Tell me if the error still comes up.
Ok, if I follow those steps, then that gets me MIDI working in Reason, but not Live. Heyyyy wait a minute, that did it! I now see input when I select Reason for Live in on a track in Live! Let's try recording it...annnnnd success. So MIDI doesn't need to be working in Live, I get it. Rewire takes care of that, kinda.

Karl, I thank ye. :)
I'll call Ableton back tomorrow and pass it on to them, and I'll mention you figured it out. Unless you don't like credit ;)