Groove/ Swing templates for drums

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan » Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 pm

its a great trick firing your loops into recycle, slicing them exactly to taste, then exporting the sounds individually with the midi file and then binning them into battery

gives you so much more control and ability to strip loops down or layer them / screw them up any way you like, plus you can obviously put other samples / cut up loops in there to see how they interact!

a groove quantize function for 6 would be off da hookski!

joeysilvero

Post by joeysilvero » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:11 pm

so when you say extract a midi file from recycle is that the midi file of they drum loop timing, so like a swing setting ?? or the arrangement of the loop
if you see what i mean

thanks joey

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:00 pm

joeysilvero wrote:so when you say extract a midi file from recycle is that the midi file of they drum loop timing, so like a swing setting ?? or the arrangement of the loop
if you see what i mean

thanks joey
Recycle is a FANTASTIC tool for extracting the midi timing of drum loops. You can use that as a template to create your own beats by moving around the midi events in an editor (changing notes but not timing). You can do this with Live if you are at the right zoom in the midi clip piano roll.

The problem is that you can't do it on the fly, it takes too much time. Live needs groove quantizing and groove template editing desperately.

joeysilvero

Post by joeysilvero » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:14 pm

yeah it does ive not used recycle for ages so i could load in my fav drum loops and extract the timing !!! now it live could import these that would be very useful..

cheers J

Nev

Post by Nev » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:11 pm

yep jsut adding my 2 cents... lets hope this is added in Live 6.

In the mean time, does anyone know anywhere I can get some nice groove templates ? :D IDM style ones would be great

Nev