AMD Turion or Intel Core Duo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tribe9

AMD Turion or Intel Core Duo

Post by tribe9 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:13 am

I've heard mixed things about both. Heard AMD is faster, saves on power, but less reliable.

Which would you choose AMD Turion (2.4 GHz/1MB L2 cache)
or
Intel Core Duo T2500 (2.0GHz)
HP dv5000 Notebook>Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz, 2 MB RAM, 5400 RPM 100G, Mbox, M-audio Axiom 25, M-audio Trigger Finger, Midisport 2x2, Behringer FCB1010, Roland HPD-15

Danny Futuro

Post by Danny Futuro » Wed May 24, 2006 8:33 am

based on how my core duo macbook is running, core duo for the win.
Self-hating american.

dodgyedgy

Post by dodgyedgy » Wed May 24, 2006 11:50 am

Danny Futuro wrote:based on how my core duo macbook is running, core duo for the win.
Wotcha dan!

Just got mine today... ahhh im in love. Ahhh

er sorry... just drifintg off there... catch you on AIM dan...

PLB

Re: AMD Turion or Intel Core Duo

Post by PLB » Wed May 24, 2006 4:34 pm

tribe9 wrote:I've heard mixed things about both. Heard AMD is faster, saves on power, but less reliable.

or
i would go with the amd, they're all i've used. and i've never heard of them being "unreliable". how can a processor be unreliable anyways - it goes slow sometimes, stops working sometimes, shows up late or flakes out on you?

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 pm

PLB wrote:
tribe9 wrote:I've heard mixed things about both. Heard AMD is faster, saves on power, but less reliable.

or
i would go with the amd, they're all i've used. and i've never heard of them being "unreliable". how can a processor be unreliable anyways - it goes slow sometimes, stops working sometimes, shows up late or flakes out on you?
AMD chips are "unreliable" as they can overheat and destroy themselves, Intel chips have failsafe mechanisms that throttle the chip down when they start to overheat therefore avoiding damage.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:55 pm

BobTheDog wrote:
AMD chips are "unreliable" as they can overheat and destroy themselves, Intel chips have failsafe mechanisms that throttle the chip down when they start to overheat therefore avoiding damage.
When did that happen? How often does it happen? I'm curious so I know to turn my computer off when I leave the house incase my computer catches fire

but aside from the "It could blow up theory" no problems on the AMD chips

Reaktors, and eqs and lots of audio tracks and reaktors and VStI's blah blah blah

I think they both work fine - it's your choice

but when did the AMD chip overheat?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Wed May 24, 2006 6:27 pm

AMD chips are not really unreliable, I was trying to point out why they are deamed "unreliable"; this is because they burn out if they overheat, if people have this happen they start calling them "unreliable". Intel chips will not burn out if they overheat.

AMD chips at the moment offer higher performance with less power consumption on average then Intel chips. This possibly will not last for long as Intel are fighting back.

I myself always have always gone for Intel chips, but my next machine may well be Amd.

Cheers

Andy

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Wed May 24, 2006 6:40 pm

intel core duo just looks nice right now

and when they come out with merom, oh lordy.

PLB

Post by PLB » Wed May 24, 2006 7:27 pm

i've personally never heard of amd chips overheating to the point of self destruction for no reason, although some tend to run warmer than other chips.

amd chips are extremely popular for overclocking because they can withstand it well, even though this is the best way to destroy a chip by overheating.

arar

Post by arar » Wed May 24, 2006 7:36 pm

There will be a dual core vesion of the amd turion along in about six months apparently
AMD 64 x 2 1.8ghz cpu
64mb integ graphics
4 gig ram
120GB 5400 HD
Indigo DJx

Live 7.0.18
Making Waves 5.44
Soundforge 8

glu

Post by glu » Thu May 25, 2006 3:35 am

arar wrote:There will be a dual core vesion of the amd turion along in about six months apparently
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/17 ... e_turions/
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

forgie

Post by forgie » Thu May 25, 2006 3:59 am

Just to set the record straight on a few factual points:

When a CPU overheats, it can give erroneous results i.e. a calculation may turn out incorrect. That makes it unreliable.

AMD had a run of CPUs aboout 10 years ago from memory that were "unreliable".

AMD's Athlon64 was considerably more power efficient then Intel's Pentium 4, which was (is) the competing CPU.

Intel's new generation of CPUs look like they are going to wipe the floor with AMDs CURRENT CPUs.

Intel's Core Duo (aka Yonah) is a stopgap solution that is an early release of Intel's new CPU range. The "Real thing" are the Merom (laptop), Conroe (desktop) and Woodcrest (server). These will all be called Core 2 Duo as far I know.

At the moment, the Core Duo is very much the best laptop CPU out there. If someone has technical info that refutes this, please post it.

Merom is going to be even better then Yonah, and possibly even use less power. Conroe is going to wipe the floor with Athlon64.

At this point in the game, Intel hold ALL the trumps. Whether or not AMD can come out with a better CPU remains to be seen.

Just because someone has always used AMD is a stupid reason to not get a Core Duo. The Core Duo is outperforming Dual G5 Power Macs in many benchmarks. That's a laptop chip vs a dual G5. And remember that Merom will be better then Yonah. I don't know why anyone would buy anything other then a core duo in a laptop right now.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:58 am

forgie wrote:Just to set the record straight on a few factual points:

When a CPU overheats, it can give erroneous results i.e. a calculation may turn out incorrect. That makes it unreliable.

AMD had a run of CPUs aboout 10 years ago from memory that were "unreliable".

AMD's Athlon64 was considerably more power efficient then Intel's Pentium 4, which was (is) the competing CPU.

Intel's new generation of CPUs look like they are going to wipe the floor with AMDs CURRENT CPUs.

Intel's Core Duo (aka Yonah) is a stopgap solution that is an early release of Intel's new CPU range. The "Real thing" are the Merom (laptop), Conroe (desktop) and Woodcrest (server). These will all be called Core 2 Duo as far I know.

At the moment, the Core Duo is very much the best laptop CPU out there. If someone has technical info that refutes this, please post it.

Merom is going to be even better then Yonah, and possibly even use less power. Conroe is going to wipe the floor with Athlon64.

At this point in the game, Intel hold ALL the trumps. Whether or not AMD can come out with a better CPU remains to be seen.

Just because someone has always used AMD is a stupid reason to not get a Core Duo. The Core Duo is outperforming Dual G5 Power Macs in many benchmarks. That's a laptop chip vs a dual G5. And remember that Merom will be better then Yonah. I don't know why anyone would buy anything other then a core duo in a laptop right now.
what about the lower end intel T2050 1.6 chipsets? im looking at a new laptop and these are in the price range along with the AMD Turion 64 2.0. i only need the laptop for djing so plenty of fx and only 8 channels of audio. the the intel still be the best option?

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:22 am

forgie wrote:Intel's Core Duo (aka Yonah) is a stopgap solution that is an early release of Intel's new CPU range. The "Real thing" are the Merom (laptop), Conroe (desktop) and Woodcrest (server). These will all be called Core 2 Duo as far I know.

I'm a little confused here fergie. 1)I'm already seeing (consumer grade)laptops with the Core 2 Duo designation. Are these the Merom you speak of? 2)I was also looking at Core Duo lappys that are very competitively priced($779!). Is there that much of a performance difference to warrant going for a Core 2 Duo? -and- 3)Does Live perform that much better in dual processor mode when compared to Core solo machines.
This thread couldn't have come at a better time, I'm just about ready to take the plunge. Oh!- and one last thing- it seems that Media Center Edition is the only available option on new windoze machines. I'd heard that it can be a pain in the assteroid when used in music production. Is there any truth to this?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:26 am

Core Duo sucks for the price, get a Core 2 Duo like an e6600 or something.