I love live, but other sequencers are calling out to me

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed May 24, 2006 2:34 am

Tracktion seems really buggy, and the overall just not up to par with other "big boys". It seems like you either go huge with SX/Logic, or you just stick with Live.

What's your experience with Tracktion?

womoma

Post by womoma » Wed May 24, 2006 2:59 am

Ive heard great things about Tracktion, hate the look of it though. Im shallow like that, far too aware of aesthetics. I wouldnt reccommend anyone go rushing into buying Logic without first testing it. I demoed Logic express and found it quite a dog to be honest. I guess its down to personal preference, and testing things to find out whats right for you.
Im sticking with just Live but if I was to splash out on a "fully featured sequencer" Id probably go for Cubase. Im on a mac though so the mighty SONAR isnt an option.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 am

womoma wrote:I demoed Logic express and found it quite a dog to be honest. I guess its down to personal preference, and testing things to find out whats right for you.
Express is pretty limited, but Pro is out of hand, the key to logic is tailoring it to your needs, it's quite flexible that way, something I wish Live would start aspiring to.
Traction doesn't offer anything more than Live does IMO, super users friendly in exchange for a certain amount of flexibility. If you want another DAW it should add to Live, not just replace it.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed May 24, 2006 9:36 am

Hi,

I do get frustrated with the main workflow issues with Cubase especially with plug ins where the preset scrolling/midi learn ets leave Cubase for dead.

However -

Cubase is much much better for editing stuff audio and midi.

Multiple envelopes on the screen at the same time
Multiple envelope point selection.
Draw tools for instant envelope patterns ie for left right pans (single click and drag :-)

Right click functions in arrange page are far easier and superior

The list goes on ....

Hopefully Live 6 will address these.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed May 24, 2006 9:51 am

i agree on try as much as you can yourself, demo versions! and choose what suits you!

myself, i am a hardcore Logic head. and use it for everything except live for, well live. and sometimes for quick sketching. live compared to logic doesn't cut it at all, but then again i am the complete oposite of DJ Adonis (leaving the question of talent aside!, though)

also keep in mind that a more complicated DAW (that usually only appears to be like that in the very beginning) can take you a longer way, see dj adonis for example might choose another DAW if he hits lives restrictions/limits, with DAWs like DP or Logic you don't hit that limit, ever. the only limit given there is your brain.

just my2cents

ColdPack

Post by ColdPack » Wed May 24, 2006 11:49 am

I've only played with the demo versio of Tracktion. It's not bad to work with -- not buggy from what I've put it through in my demo sessions. However, I've been in Cubase and Live-land for a while now -- can't see why'd I'd switch.

However, it is a pretty easy workflow once you adjust to it.
Also, Tracktion is nothing like Live.
And Tracktion is $150. Not bad.

Anyway, I'm not switching anytime soon -- I like what I have. I was just wondering what y'all thought of it.

CP

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Wed May 24, 2006 1:16 pm

b0unce wrote:I like live for performing. I like live for sketching in the studio.
I want logic for mastering and finalising tracks.
I agree. 8)

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu May 25, 2006 7:30 am

This is a really cool thread, no zealots fortunately. As originator of the thread, I am rediscovering Sonar 4 but honestly I love the single window approach of Live. Unless I have several VSTi windows open, it never needs any kind of moving and minimizing windows. Lovely!

B

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu May 25, 2006 8:34 am

the tracktion thing is like this.....

at 80 bucks, 3 years ago........it was a joy. There were constant updates, it got better and better.....it was fresh/fun/new........kinda like live.......just allot cheaper.

Then mackie took over :cry: It was 9 months before a single update, and that was the blah blurp T2 that has tanked. Plus, there are 2 or 3 "fanboys" who blurp blurp when anyone complains.......and it's one happy family :lol:

It's a shame.......had such promise............

btw, podium is a fun alternative.......if someone just needs something new to get things going...........

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu May 25, 2006 3:00 pm

honest question to those who adore logic (that is, not trying to undermine your assertions, looking for info): what do you find so useful about logic for finalizing tracks? i ask because i have logic and live, have pretty much switched to live, but enough people seem to swear by logic for the end game/mixing/mastering that i'm thinking i should reconsider. obviously, if live works for me, stick with it, etc., but i'm wondering if the difference in logic's utility turns on (e.g.) what type of tracks you're doing, etc. (right now, i use t-racks and/or reaktor for mastering FX.) thx.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu May 25, 2006 3:15 pm

Starting with live I felt frustrated at first but then discovered benefits of clarity. Logic/Cubase are like those 80s/90s guitar setups with 1 or 2 refrigerator size rack, Bradshaw switching... Live is like PRS, cable and Boogie, or vintage Bassman. One is not better then the other but the proportions of actual making music and "setting up" dialing bloody values etc, and then when something is wrong there are 1000 places to look for.
For me Live is- I switch on, plug the cable and go...... "Take 01"

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu May 25, 2006 4:42 pm

i'm with you on the guitar analogy, but would revise to 60s les paul through marshall or fender deluxe or somesuch (w/ some zvex FX thrown in).

bermudagold

Post by bermudagold » Thu May 25, 2006 4:57 pm

If you like Live for its one screen with tabs interface, and intuitiveness you will like Tracktion imo......Tracktion is even more intuitive and has an ever faster learning curve......Tracktion has better signal routing imo.....because it is visual which for most people is logical and easier to interpret and you can use midi outs of plugs.....creating crazy vst and vsti concoctions with feedback loops and all like EXT or bidule in each track......but it doesnt have the real time timestretching / audio mangling of Live and session view......for the rest they are pretty close to equal in my opinion if you dont need session view......and even though i believe all the experts rationale on why it shouldnt be true, and tracktions 64 bit summing bus is probably more marketing than anything else......i still seem to have more definition and clarity in mixes with higher track counts than Live?......go figure.....not really ruling out psychoacoustic phenomenon and placebo,..but heh you hear what you hear......both have quirks and features that i think you would miss if you switched from one to the other......but at tractions price point it is definitely impressive imo......and the way podium, EXT, and reaper are coming along at the sub $180 price point its gonna get interesting

slightly OT....but here would be my perfect app......some people like jumping between lots of tools, Id prefer one
1)Live
2)the visual routing of Tracktion and rack filters
3)the audio editing and spectral tools of Audition...on another pane of the single screen interface....like switching from session to arrangement
4)the editing of audio like midi and staff notation of melodyne .....on another pane of the single screen interface

Id pay big boy money for that.....rather than logic/cubase/dp/pro tools....though to be fair i havent used them

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu May 25, 2006 5:01 pm

dj superflat wrote:i'm with you on the guitar analogy, but would revise to 60s les paul through marshall or fender deluxe or somesuch (w/ some zvex FX thrown in).
agrred but pre 62 then , 58 or 59 preferably

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu May 25, 2006 6:46 pm

ColdPack wrote:I use Live rewired into Cubase SX 3. It's a nice combo.

Any reason why nobody's mentioned Tracktion?

Just curious.

cp
Cubase SX3 has an amazing (overwhelming, almost) amount of options. Yet, some things are much more difficult to do. Not as many drag or drop options. If I had to choose, definitely Cubase. I have not tried rewiring Live 5 to Cubase. That might present an interesting option. I am still in the process of learning Cubase. Not as intuitive as Live 5.