req. keystroke for enable the track recording

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
BobSpace

req. keystroke for enable the track recording

Post by BobSpace » Tue May 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Hello, I would like know if there is a keystroke combination to enable the record button in the armed track of the Session View.

Thanks in advanced!

Roberto
PB 15"-Mbox2-002r-Command|8
Pro Tools LE 7-Ableton Live
Evolver-Poly800-D10-VL1-MFB filterbox-microKONTROL-Fender Strato-AT2020
---
www.myspace.com/eranot

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Tue May 23, 2006 3:46 pm

You can assign the "arm session" (iow, record) buttons to any key on your qwerty keyboard using the key mapping feature. I use the number keys, fwiw. The big yellow "track activator" buttons are set to the F keys (F1, F2, etc.) by default on my machine.

The enabler button... that's the one I really want to find! :lol:

BobSpace

Post by BobSpace » Tue May 23, 2006 5:34 pm

Thanks...I am trying to control my Live session by a Korg microKONTROL control surface passing trough the sw MidiPipe or MidiStroke to translate the midi message into a set of keystroke and...ehm ehm :roll: I have mapped a lot of key and I am looking for native keystroke to simplify my set-up. 8O

Ciao

Roberto
PB 15"-Mbox2-002r-Command|8
Pro Tools LE 7-Ableton Live
Evolver-Poly800-D10-VL1-MFB filterbox-microKONTROL-Fender Strato-AT2020
---
www.myspace.com/eranot

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 23, 2006 5:56 pm

so you're mapping all your midi to keystrokes, even though Ableton Live accepts midi just as well?

Might I ask... why? :?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

pheecoy

Post by pheecoy » Wed May 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Machinate wrote:so you're mapping all your midi to keystrokes, even though Ableton Live accepts midi just as well?

Might I ask... why? :?
Perhaps what he means is he wants to Control lots of keys that are mapped to live with a press of one midi trigger? :)

Bob, if that's the case and you'd want live to record and loop your input... here's how i do it:

*** go to Preferences>behaviour> Exclusive and turn off ARM

1.) assign a key for each of the tracks on the first scene (:arrow: I prefer that you use key 1 for track 1, 2 for track 2, etc. so it'll be easier later on)

2.) go to the ARM buttons of each track and while pressing shift, press the number which corresponds to the one that you assigned to the launch button in that track. So what will come out for track 1is !, track 2 will have @, etc...

3.) assign any button to stop each track ( or just one to stop all)

4.) in your midiStroke assign your first midi pad to press in this order
SHIFT+1,1. the Computer will then read it as if you've entered ! = which arms the first track and 1 = which starts record.

Create new translators but instead of the output being SHIFT+1,1 put in SHIFT+2, 2 for track two and so on and so forth ...

*** SO when recording, you simply press a button to arm and record, and you simply press down on it again to play and DISARM the record button... this is simpler because you don't need two buttons to arm and launch/record. You have a simpler setup and more buttons to trigger effects... hope this helps peace...
live+reason

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed May 24, 2006 3:20 pm

i'm not aware of a command to arm the selected track. if you can't have separate keys/midi for arming each one, some people leave them all armed at all times.

the problem i see with that is that you will get all these tracks monitoring at the same time. one way around that might be to have a scene with silent/blank clips, so that any unused channel could be kept quiet even while the monitor is set to 'auto'

anyway i'm not really the best person to ask but i wanted to chime in anyway. i'd recommend searching for threads about looping setups - these people need this kind of controller function

pheecoy

Post by pheecoy » Wed May 24, 2006 4:55 pm

longjohns wrote:i'm not aware of a command to arm the selected track. if you can't have separate keys/midi for arming each one, some people leave them all armed at all times.
it won't be left armed. since the configuration is for live to ARM and then Start Recording, when you press the button once more, it will launch the recorded clip at the quantize point and Press on the ARM button again .thereby, turning it the ARM button off.

you could always leave an unmapped track which is in IN monitoring (just assign a trigger to turn it on or off) mode so that you would always have a dedicated track for vocals and what not.
live+reason

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu May 25, 2006 1:56 am

it seems we have a different definition of the 'arm' button

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Tue May 30, 2006 5:00 pm

What's the equivalent of MidiStroke for PC?
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Bome's midi translator.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Tue May 30, 2006 5:57 pm

gracias, Machinate :)
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.