New Trigger Mode

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
wd8dky

New Trigger Mode

Post by wd8dky » Wed May 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Hello. For those of us who use Live in a more abstract fashion at times, it would be helpful to have a trigger mode where the selected wav begins playback immediately after the current one, rather than being forced to try and trigger it at exactly the instant the current wav ends.

As an example, if I am triggering non-looped wav files without setting a tempo and without warping, for smooth playback, I am forced to trigger the next wav file at exactly the right instant that the first wav finishes playing. I'd like to be able to trigger a wav file, and then trigger another, but have it not play until the current wav is complete. This would be independent of any quantization or tempo. Just, "finish this one, then play the next one I've triggered, etc.""

Thank you!

geoffroy

Post by geoffroy » Wed May 03, 2006 2:46 pm

did you try "follow actions" ? how does it differ from what you want to achieve ?

wd8dky

Post by wd8dky » Wed May 03, 2006 3:09 pm

Thank you for the idea, but follow actions still work based upon bars/beats. What I'm looking for is independent of that, plus, I need to be able to control it, rather than having it choose the next clip.

My basic problem is that the music I am using with Live does not warp well (and yes, I've spent many hours fiddling with the different warp modes). Combine that with the fact that most songs have changing time signatures, and I've got a mess. So, I trigger all my samples as unwarped one-shots. Because of that, the beats/measures counter essentially has no meaning for me. For a follow action, you have to tell it, in bars/beats/16ths, when to fire.