Warping live drums = GRR.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
4ace

Post by 4ace » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:54 pm

hambone1 wrote:midiStroke.

Assign MIDI keys/buttons/whatever to Live's keystroke shortcuts. To me, it's much more intuitive to use my MIDI controllers than the secretary keyboard, and one MIDI control can incorporate as many keystrokes and modifiers as you want.
Can't wait to get that setup,sounds like progress to me.

Also thanks for that post about the IAC driver.

Your on some kewl stuff with all your routing and midi triggering.

Keep it up!
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Glad it helps!
4ace wrote: Your on some kewl stuff with all your routing and midi triggering.
As long as it all keeps working! :?

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:08 pm

Just a suggestion. If you can get the use of Pro tools Beat Detective you would probably find getting the live drums in time would be easier and sound a lot better. I find warping live drums in Live easy enough but unless your really careful the whole feel of the drummer will be wasted therefor a bit of a pointless excercise. I know this isnt a great suggestion but if you can get access to a PTs system for a couple opf hours its worth doing. Thats what I do when I want to keep the integrity of a live part intact.
HA HA HA :twisted:

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:02 am

If it's gonna be played in a DJ setting, I always play new material alongside the same handful of my personal all-time most loved breaks & loops. For me it's the definitive way to test their feel.
It's important to line up the one, but a lot of times you can let the rest of the measure swing a little if you listen carefully. Some tracks just cannot have their 2's and 4's exactly on Live's global 2 and 4 all the time, or they die a little. This probably messes up the slicing in "Beats" mode (leading to flamming & bass warbles) if you get crazy though, so keep that in mind.
I'm gonna check out hambone1's midistroke thing, but for me it's all about the giant Kensington trackball + its 6 progammable buttons. I use mine as my crossfader now too, which is really fun.

moostapha

Post by moostapha » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Assuming you started out by DJing...match the song to a click track using a real deck. Keep on the pitch slider and just keep adjusting it all through the song. If you can keep it together well enough for a set, you can make it easier to warp.

And, yeah...warping is harder than beatmatching IMO.
If only you, me and DEAD people could read hex, would we need this forum?

Drumattic

Post by Drumattic » Thu May 04, 2006 4:53 am

Your right warping Live drums is a task.....okay I mean 12 tracks of drums. I just finished 6 songs on 2 different kits and precussion. I tried the warp one track and paste it to the other mode but becareful when yoy bring a room mic into the mix...you may get pahase cancellation problems unless you sergically nudge the romm mic to sit proper. Any ways we all want real drums it's just if you have the patience to hone the skill of editing them as well as we have learned to play them!
It takes me about an hour a minute to replace kiks and remove any cymbal noise that crowding the mix. It's all about separation in the recording.....have fun
music is the universal language of the world!
www.drumattic.net

missjade

Post by missjade » Thu May 04, 2006 9:53 pm

moostapha wrote:Assuming you started out by DJing...match the song to a click track using a real deck. Keep on the pitch slider and just keep adjusting it all through the song. If you can keep it together well enough for a set, you can make it easier to warp.

And, yeah...warping is harder than beatmatching IMO.
never thought of that. creative way to get around it, since decks are much more familiar to me..

thanks guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tranquil010

Post by Tranquil010 » Fri May 05, 2006 2:15 am

Use something like beat detective. Cut at the beginning of the attatck transient of the snare, kick,, everything.. and then use a process like beat detective that quantisizes the audio. Pro tools 7 has this for exampl.e
Powerbook 1.67 ghz running Live 5 ::: DP 1.8 G5 running Logic, Live 5, Reason and many plug ins.
MOTU interfaces, M-Audio Key's and Control Surfaces, Glyph HD's :: "Buy low, sell high" ::

mikschack

Warping live drums

Post by mikschack » Fri May 05, 2006 1:25 pm

Hmm, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to warp live drums. going through the pain, effort and ordeal of having an actual creative drummer PLAY drums rather than program them, you'd want to keep the energy and the dynamics of that playing I should think - not destroy it by perfecting tempo and making it all sterile? But then, I'm into electronica and stuff. :?

missjade

Re: Warping live drums

Post by missjade » Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 pm

mikschack wrote:Hmm, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to warp live drums. going through the pain, effort and ordeal of having an actual creative drummer PLAY drums rather than program them, you'd want to keep the energy and the dynamics of that playing I should think - not destroy it by perfecting tempo and making it all sterile? But then, I'm into electronica and stuff. :?
yeah, i'm sure some of the groove & energy of live drums gets lost in the warping process, but it's the only way to line up the beats with other tracks if you're mixing them :wink: i like electronic stuff too, but i want to mix it with organic sounds as well...