Stealing Groove....please help

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Basha_Downs

Stealing Groove....please help

Post by Basha_Downs » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:03 am

how can i steal the groove of a loop and apply it to a a bunch of chops ive load into impluse?>....and how do i find the zero crossing of my chops in ableton?
P4, mackie onyx 400f/1620, TC powercore, Cubase sx3.1.1, ableton 5.2, Battery 2.0, motu mach five, bx8a's, oxygen v.2

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:44 am

well, got recycle?

That's pretty much exactly what it's for.

Live doesn't support rex files, but it just takes a little effort to make it happen.

A rex file is two parts:

1) slices of audio

2) a midi file that corresponds to the position of those slices in the original loop.

Recycle itself can export just the midi file part if you ask it to.

The midi file is just a chromatic scale. That means it's just every note of the keyboard, one after another. One note for each slice of audio.

You have to drag the midi notes so that they actually do something usefull, but all the timing and groove of the original are there.

At this point and time, that's the best solution i can offer you.

Perhaps in the future ableton will have some sort of tool of its own for this.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:48 am

ohhh, and zero crossing.

Just zoom in in the clip view of any clip. A zero crossing is where the line of the waveform crosses the horizontal line that represents zero.

Good spots to edit to avoid clicks, as i assume you know.

Of course you don't really need to worry about this if you have the "fade" box checked for your clip.

.lm.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:24 pm

What else (cheaper maybe?) can do the groove -> midi thing?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:19 pm

cheaper than $200?

Actually, i don't know of anything else that does that.

But you could do it by hand if you were crazy enough.

.lm.

Basha_Downs

Post by Basha_Downs » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:05 pm

gonna experiment tonight with just exporting the midi file/ import it into ableton....load the impluse with some sample and then cut and paste the midi hits....anyone else doing this?
P4, mackie onyx 400f/1620, TC powercore, Cubase sx3.1.1, ableton 5.2, Battery 2.0, motu mach five, bx8a's, oxygen v.2

Basha_Downs

Post by Basha_Downs » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:55 am

this worked alright for replacing bum hits in an amen from a crusty rex file, via export /import > impulse> copy paste...not really how i'd like to spend my time. Still not able to steal groove of a wave file......anyone besides recycle?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:38 pm

this should be obvious but in case it isn't:

you have to drag all of the midi notes that correspond to kicks to one note, all the notes that correspond to snares to one note, etc. etc.

I usually do this in reason so that i can click on the different slices in the rexplayer to identify what sound they are.

It does take a second, but then you can drop that midi file into live, and change the sounds for each note at will. I think it's pretty cool and it's really not that labor intensive.

.lm.

Basha_Downs

Post by Basha_Downs » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:49 pm

yagga muffin.....fooled with recycle last night....worked great for stealing the groove...shitty the impulse only has 8 slots and the loaded notes are not at step one, and skip the black keys...wtf?, but even better was the new cool rythms you can get by just loading different sound....perfect for the peeps stumped on intros and other shiot...yo muffin any other tips with regards to this topic

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:44 am

why not just put the bits into different clips and assign midi notes to them? set them to 1 shot mode.

drop the loop into horizontal mode (session? I hate those names, can never keep them straight), put markers on the different sections and assign them midi notes.

Basha_Downs

Post by Basha_Downs » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:56 am

yo im stupid and new to ableton, gimme step by step if you can.....assign to midi notes...?

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:11 am

I'm still at work, don't have Live in front of me, but this is more or less correct.

copy the clip <ctrl-c>
switch to horizontal view (hit tab)
paste it into a track <ctrl-v>
towards the upper right corner are three boxes, a left arrow, SET and a right arrow
hit SET to drop a marker
move the marker to where a section begins
hit MIDI learn in the upper right corner
ANYTHING that lights up is midi assignable.
click on the marker
hit a midi control (key, knob, switch slider, IR beam)
turn off MIDI learn

do this for a few markers and watch what happens.

I assume you know how to do this in vertical view (Session)
The boxes to launch individual clips only show up when MIDI learn is active, they're right above the input/output section