OUTPUT 1-2 compared with OTHER OUTPUTS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RobStrobe

OUTPUT 1-2 compared with OTHER OUTPUTS

Post by RobStrobe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:43 am

hey you guys,

have you ever compared the sound of OUTPUT 1-2 with the sound which comes out at any other OUTPUT???

i´m talkin of LIVE 5.0.2 and 5.0.3...whats going on?

have a ear into...and tell me what you think of it...

or maybe the abletons themselves tell us what the hell they think this should be usefull for!!!!!

:evil:

regards rob
* LIVE * 1031 + 1092 * LOGIC PRO 7
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828
* TASCAM M-2600 * Sennheiser,AKG,Sure
http://www.myspace.com/robstrobetracks

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:00 pm

i have never noticed a difference

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:01 pm

No difference here. Checked all 8 output on my 01V. They sound identical.

More likely to be your settings, soundcard, or both.

M-Audio, I see... that could explain it...

gomi

Re: OUTPUT 1-2 compared with OTHER OUTPUTS

Post by gomi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 pm

RobStrobe wrote:hey you guys,

have you ever compared the sound of OUTPUT 1-2 with the sound which comes out at any other OUTPUT???

i´m talkin of LIVE 5.0.2 and 5.0.3...whats going on?

have a ear into...and tell me what you think of it...

or maybe the abletons themselves tell us what the hell they think this should be usefull for!!!!!

:evil:

regards rob

make sure you aren't summing any inputs in your m-audio control panel.
it adds noise to the channels and stuff.. m-audio is pretty crappy.

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:32 am

that i thought aswell in the first...but after connecting or choosing the "protools digirack" it still appeared....so....i wonder if that output of ableton is maybe dithert???

but i couldn´t find it in the "guidelines"....

TO TEST MY IMPRESSION

make please sure you send a full drumloop through it...maybe a(Open filtered saw) bassline added.....that should fit that you can hear it...all other outputs are more open....the hihats and snaredrum gets much more "power" then if you would play the same file through 1-2...changing no settings...

if you want i load up two drumloops....to show you the difference....
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am

RobStrobe wrote:....the hihats and snaredrum gets much more "power" then if you would play the same file through 1-2...changing no settings...

yeah it sounds like you're enabling 3/4 without disabling 1/2 - like on my FW410 you can choose which inputs are active and if you send to both 1/2 and SPDIF and then have both of them to the headphones you'll get both signals which sounds like how you're describing - same goes if it's routed to both 1/2 and 3/4 and have them both to the cans

I reckon you need to go over all your routings and check you havent got something somewhere doubled up, either in monitoring settings from your soundcard or in the application somewhere

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:12 am

forge wrote:
RobStrobe wrote:....the hihats and snaredrum gets much more "power" then if you would play the same file through 1-2...changing no settings...

yeah it sounds like you're enabling 3/4 without disabling 1/2 - like on my FW410 you can choose which inputs are active and if you send to both 1/2 and SPDIF and then have both of them to the headphones you'll get both signals which sounds like how you're describing - same goes if it's routed to both 1/2 and 3/4 and have them both to the cans

PLEASE....forget the M-AUDIO for awhile i´m talking of my digidesign...and why disabling 1-2??what does OUTPUT 1-2 have to do with 3-4 or 5-6 or 7-8 if it is all send to an external mixer??

NOTHING,i guess!!!

ok....maybe the DIGIDESIGN is like the m-audio also a piece of crap...then...why does it appear on a MOTU 2408 aswell???just tested at a friends studio....
he has all OUTPUTS lying on a TASCAMMIXER....even the adat outs are used...
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828

forge

Post by forge » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:52 am

RobStrobe wrote:
forge wrote:

PLEASE....forget the M-AUDIO for awhile i´m talking of my digidesign...and why disabling 1-2??what does OUTPUT 1-2 have to do with 3-4 or 5-6 or 7-8 if it is all send to an external mixer??

NOTHING,i guess!!!

ok....maybe the DIGIDESIGN is like the m-audio also a piece of crap...then...why does it appear on a MOTU 2408 aswell???just tested at a friends studio....
he has all OUTPUTS lying on a TASCAMMIXER....even the adat outs are used...
what I said has nothing to do with M-Audio, Motu, DogSnot, whatever - what you described *sounded like* 2 signals being summed together - there is no difference in sound between outputs, that's a ridiculous notion as it is just down to routing - and what you described sounds exactly like you've just got the same signal coming out 2ce.

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:58 pm

I have an Emu 1820 with a Behringer ADA8000 running seven stereo outs and two mono outs to an external mixer. I haven't noticed any difference between any of the outs.

If everything is set up right and you are still having a problem you could adjust the gain on the effected mixer channels.

You probablly already know this but just because it says out 1/2 in Live doesn't mean that that it is going to out 1/2 on your sound card. in the default settings for my sound card Live's out 1/2 went to all outs on my card equally. I had to set up each out in the software mixer that came with my soundcard.

RobStrobe

Post by RobStrobe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:25 pm

ok...

:lol:
* ACCES VIRUS * MOTU 828

eamoon

Post by eamoon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:34 pm

One thing to keep in mind, though, is the difference between the Master output and whatever channel pair (say, 1-2) the Master output is routed to. If you assign a track to 1-2, and your Master is also on 1-2, that track will *not* go through any effects you have on the Master channel. So, if those effects make the sound louder (saturators, compressors, etc.) you'll probably notice a difference between the Master output and any other channel pair.