i want to extract vocals from a song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
håkan bråkan

i want to extract vocals from a song

Post by håkan bråkan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:18 am

are there any good algorithms(ex. matlab) or apps that can separate vocals from a song? i understand this is hard to do, but i think post processing should give much better results than only a filter.

jasefos

Re: i want to extract vocals from a song

Post by jasefos » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:20 am

håkan bråkan wrote:are there any good algorithms(ex. matlab) or apps that can separate vocals from a song? i understand this is hard to do, but i think post processing should give much better results than only a filter.
Ahhhh - so you want to remove the egg from a cake which is already baked?
; )

Don't bother - this will sound cruddy at best !
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

håkan bråkan

Post by håkan bråkan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:32 am

i'm working on remixes for a documentary and i do not have the original tapes, and my intention is also to do some experimental stuff on the material but i would like to have some voices to play with. the original mix is quite thin also, i.e. guitar + vocals, so i think it might work. (if i mask with other stuff in the critical frequencies)

/.

Post by /. » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:46 am

if you have exactly the same song but without vocals you could subtract them [ invert one song ] and get out the vocal.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:54 am

if the vocal is in the center and the rest of the sounds are not

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=33
that link takes you into the middle of the thread to the crucial point and download, discussion of method follows it.
There is a plugin that extracts the center channel

it will sound terrible, but you can use the general principle to make something a little better (than the demo plugin)

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:04 am

Most vocals have stereo effects on them (e.g. stereo reverb).

Also kick drums and basslines are generally in the centre of the mix also so you'll need HiPass filter the result (some plugins do this as part of the process).

You can pull out the egg out of a cake but you'll get a bit of the flour along with it.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

Nod

Re: i want to extract vocals from a song

Post by Nod » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:46 am

håkan bråkan wrote:are there any good algorithms(ex. matlab) or apps that can separate vocals from a song? i understand this is hard to do, but i think post processing should give much better results than only a filter.
It's always a half-measure trying to remove/isolate vox from a mix and the results will typically sound shit even with £5k's worth of plugs.

But you could try this freebie: Elevayta Extra Boy

http://www.elevayta.com/

HTH

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:29 pm

voicetrapp is quite good .

http://www.cloneensemble.com/

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:00 pm

Sometimes for issues of time it's easier to just have someone sing it. :twisted:
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:44 pm

No. It's not hard, it's impossible. The only algorithms possible would be based on quantum mechanics. The only current algorithm that works like a charm is: a+b-(o-3 cos)hire-a-vocalist(lmnop-sine<?>^/pi.

håkan bråkan

Post by håkan bråkan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:42 pm

I've tried some filters and the extra boy but with bad results as i expected, so maybe there is no other way then to find those hidden tapes ;(

bermudagold

Post by bermudagold » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:16 pm

Try audio scanner....think it is by DTG?.....I have gotten better results with that than with extra boy or voice trap......but its beta and has an annoying loud beep every 20sec maybe.....so it depends how long an accapella u tryin to rip......the tools in adobe audition supposedly work relatively well but i dont know whats in their algo outside of the traditional center channel extraction and frequency filter......the added benefit is their spectral tools however, which should help u clean up what the algo missed.....i have actually found it faster and easier sometime to just resing it as close as possible, and then mangle it with FX using formant shifting to change sex etc.......good luck

bermudagold

Post by bermudagold » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:20 pm

this is what i used to love about the dancehall and hip hop scenes when i was coming up.....no cds or mp3s....all the hit records u bought came on 45s and 12"......and they almost always came with the version(instrumental) and accapella......u didnt even need a sampler to remix a tune or record a cover.......reminisce :cry: