Anyone thinking of moving to macIntel?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digi V

Post by Digi V » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:26 pm

hey Glitchrock how do yo know NI products will be ready in two months?

i haven't heard squat from that camp.

i'm loving my computer right now. so far i haven't seen a single issue with it. the only true headache is the fact that i gotta get new software.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:46 pm

To be honest those new powerbooks look pretty hot and it reads like they run a mean game but here's my delima

$2K on a MacbookPro

$2k on a Virus TI

That's how I see it

'daywalker'

Ableton | Elektron

Music

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:49 pm

To answer the question posted by the title of this thread,

NO

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Digi V wrote:hey Glitchrock how do yo know NI products will be ready in two months?

i haven't heard squat from that camp.

i'm loving my computer right now. so far i haven't seen a single issue with it. the only true headache is the fact that i gotta get new software.
On the N.I. site there is a link to their intel compatibility timeline. Every product (almost) is listed, and when they'll be ported. Reaktor, absynth, kontakt, guitar rig, and fm7 are due second quarter 2006. First quarter ends in march, second starts in april. And notice that they distinguish between second quarter and end of second quarter. That's why I'm guessing just over two months, maybe three. Things are moving fast, I'm sure even those slow pokes at N.I. won't drag their feet too much with this.

cheers,
Rob
Professional Shark Jumper.

rasputin

Just my 1/50 dollar

Post by rasputin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Watching the progress of Mac Intel / the programs available for the Mac, etc., I have never for a second regretted punting Mac at OS X for a PC.

A lot of people don't remember Apple did that before: when they moved from 68K chips to PPCs, for a while there were "fat binaries" and finally all manufacturers basically forced you to re-buy all your software to run on PPC.

There is really a much better backwards compatibility record in the Windows world than with Mac. With the XP compatibility wizard you can even run old 16-bit applications on a P4.

I'm running an ancient version of SSEYO Koan on my Win2K system and it runs like a champ.

But I'm glad Macs still exist and are used heavily by the creative community; it's probably the only thing that keeps Microsoft and Intel even marginally technically honest.

r.

Digi V

Re: Just my 1/50 dollar

Post by Digi V » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:36 pm

rasputin wrote:Watching the progress of Mac Intel / the programs available for the Mac, etc., I have never for a second regretted punting Mac at OS X for a PC.

A lot of people don't remember Apple did that before: when they moved from 68K chips to PPCs, for a while there were "fat binaries" and finally all manufacturers basically forced you to re-buy all your software to run on PPC.

There is really a much better backwards compatibility record in the Windows world than with Mac. With the XP compatibility wizard you can even run old 16-bit applications on a P4.

I'm running an ancient version of SSEYO Koan on my Win2K system and it runs like a champ.

But I'm glad Macs still exist and are used heavily by the creative community; it's probably the only thing that keeps Microsoft and Intel even marginally technically honest.

r.

and for people like you is why microsoft will never move beyond what is windows.

microsoft is unwilling to do a jump like OS9 to OSX, even though that is exactly what they need to do, because they would lose too many customers. they'll stick with the same buggy software until their doom (dramatiziation) =)

Vista is just some nice new looking features (borrowed from osx and linux) thrown into the same messy pile.

on a side note: anyone can take a look at the xbox department and windows department and see contradicting values.

they have two seperate cultures over there.

the xbox department being the innovative, risk taking, spirited ones.

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:15 pm

I like the new macintels, nice layout even though it's design is getting a bit dated... but at $2000 for the base model I could never justify the purchase at that price. There are dual core intel machines in canada for $1000! So your paying $1000 us (about $1200 canadian) for osx, and an isight.
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:30 pm

not right now, but shurely yes.

i like that apple has the balls to do radical changes, that's why they are a giant step ahead. and you need to be radical sometimes to step ahead.
i was so sceptical about OSX, and now oh my freakin' god it's the by far best OS on this planet. (for me! and that is the only thing that counts!!!)
i believe whe are only able to see the tip of the iceberg... let's wait and see.

and ecactly, like Digi V said, windows is so rotten in it's core it can't be fixed anymore, they need more then radical changes to get it right. but gates does not have the balls for that he is far to afraid to loose billions. that's what i think!

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:40 pm

Yeah im moving over to macbook pro from pc,But what do i go for,1.83ghz or a 2ghz version.IS the slight difference in ghz worth paying an extra £350??

Kenfen

Post by Kenfen » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:46 pm

I've toyed with the idea, but realistically, for me, it makes no sense. I'd be way better served just by updating my PC to a Dual core machine. I can do that for way less than $2k and not have to re-invent the wheel just for a cool Apple machine.

Nothing against Mac here, I've had a Mac and loved it, but at this stage in the game, I'm more interested in using what I have versus trying to keep up with the Jones's.

I just purchased an RME HDSP 9632 and all the audio issues I had disappeared. I'm set with the PC for a long while yet.

If I were going on the road more, I could maybe see it, but still, for me, it would be a "nice to have" machine, not a necessity. My little Acer Travelmate that I use for business is Ok for the small amount of road time I have to do. I managed to write quite a few little ditties while on the tour bus last year and that was just using the crappy soundcard. Now I've got those Asio4all drivers, it's even better for a scratchpad. Total outlay for that baby was only $800 at newegg.

:wink: When you have a wife who has veto power over purchases, you have to prioritize, am I right, married folk? :lol: Also, for me, I'd have to have the $2500 model mbp, so it would end up being $3k.... not gonna happen.

band-x

Post by band-x » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 pm

frisbeedisk wrote:Yeah im moving over to macbook pro from pc,But what do i go for,1.83ghz or a 2ghz version.IS the slight difference in ghz worth paying an extra £350??
Difficult to say until some results come in. Keep a close eye and hold back for a while would perhaps be the best advice. There'll be plenty of people getting them and posting their results I imagine
Last edited by band-x on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

band-x

Post by band-x » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:54 pm

Kenfen wrote:Nothing against Mac here, I've had a Mac and loved it, but at this stage in the game, I'm more interested in using what I have versus trying to keep up with the Jones's.
I see your point here, I know it's not against Macs but I bought my iMac purely because of the frustration that Windows has given me over the last few months. I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hours a week sorting out problems that shouldn't be there in the first place. I want to sit down and work, not fix.

I've had many a conversation regarding Mac vs PC and I've always stayed on the PC side, based purely on price. But now, lets say my time is worth £20/hr for work. 3hrs a week costs me £60. In a year that could be about £3000!. I'm not saying it necessarily is that, for lots of reasons but I'm sure you'd agree, it's certainly feasable. I'd rather be earning that money than trying to sort out system problems. Nothing to do with the Jones'!

:wink:

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:17 am

Kenfen wrote: that baby was only $800 at newegg.

:wink: When you have a wife who has veto power over purchases, you have to prioritize, am I right, married folk?
lol.

the macbook isn't just a music tool for me. everything i do will be on this laptop, so spending 2k on something i truly enjoy, something that makes me happy, and on top of that something that will assist my creativity as a musicianal hobbyist is worth way more than 2 thousand dollars.

suspended childhood

Re: Just my 1/50 dollar

Post by suspended childhood » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:04 pm

Digi V wrote: microsoft is unwilling to do a jump like OS9 to OSX, even though that is exactly what they need to do, because they would lose too many customers. they'll stick with the same buggy software until their doom (dramatiziation) =)

dood....did you forget about windows me?

ms actually recommended you just replace that os and ended support.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:05 pm

and im getting the macbook pro...have money now, just waiting for hardware/ software to mature a little....but im anxious, so i dont know how long i can wait!