Mastering

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
supster

Post by supster » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:38 pm

SubFunk wrote: and by the way: supster wrote:
probably has something to do with the word "master" .. they think only sensei ever can do!! Laughing
i disagree, making music, producing and mixing (engineering) is / can be a creative process... or actually should be a creative progress...

mastering is all about getting the highest level of sound and preparing it for the mass duplication on a medium, e.g. Cds or Vinyl, and acomplishing one of the highest skill level jobs in the chain of music making
yes, takes skill and experience but for purposes of electronic and dance mastering much less in most cases than needed for other genres

and doable by some dedicated people with reasonably priced equipment. often by the very same people that are writing or remixing the tracks from the ground up.

i see it all the time. so if they can, its possible and very feasible to be done by ordinary mortals on reasonable budget ... this is my point

you're elevating this skill and attaching all of these superlative, godlike qualities to it. i freaking hate that, its just another skill.
Last edited by supster on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:41 pm

I have the UAD Ultra Pack, The PowerCore and the PSP Vintage Warmer.

Lately, I've been reaching for the Vintage Warmer alot.

The best solution: good ears, listening at low levels, mix it up.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:40 pm

if you read this, please be so kind and follow this link. it is topic related.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34262

thank you!

andy_slate

Post by andy_slate » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:11 pm

mastering is always needed...

on any kind of music material.. whether it is hiphop, pop, dance, house, electronica....

its the end result that makes your track much more "popular" and of course more sellable..

almost all hi profile labels are using mastering engineers to achieve the max out of their productions.

its worth havin them mastered...

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:20 pm

radeon wrote:Forget mastering yourself. mastering is high skill and cant be done by bedroom users of live.
Very true. All these mastering plugins do is fuck up your dynamics and do some cheap EQing.

You can't master in the bedroom