FIX YOUR SHIT ABLETON! Totally FED UP!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:35 am

ok, but, btw, i just read all six pages of your other thread, and notice no reference to audio interface... sooooo maybe you should pay more attention to what's being said before jumping down *my* throat?
listed my interface as M-Audio pci/24/96, latest drivers (of course). i also use a TASCAM us-122 usb mainly as a headphone interface.

i have tried using them one at a time with my machine (uinstalled the other one) and it doesnt make a difference, so its not the fact that i have two interfaces on my system, considered that. even if it were, its still a problem that would need to be addressed, espeically if im only trying to use them one at a time, and not with something like ASIo4all no?

using either either one the lag issue makes it impossible to use the arrange grid for arranging anything of significance.

problem has been going on for over two years now. i had to post a poll and practically beg to be taken seriously. 75% of the people that answered it said they were not happy with arrange grid performance.

many of the people in that thread have the exact same thing ive been experiencing, and none of them can figure out any real significant way to make it better

ALSO: others have come in to the thread, with more powerful setups than mine, using no VSTs, and they cant work in arrange grid either. so it throws serious doubt

mike, please let this sink in:

Arrange View is half the product. if its effectively useless in doing what it was designed to do at low to mid level loads, half the product is useless for that. maybe other things, but not for full arranging

the people that dont use it in a way that this happens to them, do not get that, do not understand how much time and effort has already been spent on trying to make it better, and totally dont get why we're pressuring ableton to come up with some answers.

so if nobody else is going to do it, i am
Also, on page six, you do mention that not using vsti's or 3rd party pluggins does seem to help your issue. you no longer believe that to be true?
not using any VSTis or 3rd party plugins makes it better, especially the ones that take up a lot of memory.

but it doesnt solve the core issue, because the arrange grid has been lagged and slow to respond since version 2 when i started using it. and there were no 3rd party plugs

and - not using any 3rd party plugs or severely limiting the way i use the program is not a "solution". thats not the way i need to use it and its not the way they promote the use of it.
about this thread, you're right, it's not about anybody's specific problem. That's the problem. Specific problems can be addressed. General complaining with little substance can not.
i dont know how i can give any more substance than i already have short of flying out to berlin with my entire setup - using it the way i use it - and having them troubleshoot it on the premises. literally man

the thread started out with a guy freaking out, for what in some of our minds is very good reason .. if you actually read what he said and understood where he was coming from.

its turned into a thread about why some of these things have been going on with no sign of a resolution and to show them that the problems are as serious as we say they are

like i said to the other guy ... people like you come in and its our job to be persistant and show where you are not necessarily the norm they should be judging the stability of the program by.

unless you come up with some real answers. which (sorry to say, wish it were otherwise) none of you have been able to do either, other than "yank out your hardware, and randomely thow more money at it")
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:37 am

supster wrote:
3x approximately $200-400 = anywhere from $600 - 1200.
down the drain.
You're funny!
:D

That was over the last six years on 3 different computers I built. Twice a videocard gave me grief (outdated) and getting a newer one solved it.

The soundcard was an Emagic Audiowerk2 that I was using with Logic 5 on a PC - Emagic never wrote an XP driver, maybe it was on their todo list but then they got bought by Apple. I would sometimes crash every 15 minutes or so. Annoying but if you keep saving it's OK. I didn't stop me from making music.

Anway I got Ableton & thought it was time for a new soundcard.
Oh when I built the new computer all I did was put in a new motherboard with RAM and CPU it came to around $450. And then it crashed a couple of times and I had a really old videocard in it so I got a newer one for $40 and that was that.

Maybe we should start a thread here of what systems work.

If anybody's reading this and thinking of building a cheap-as-chips PC: AMD Athlon64 3200+; Abit KV8 Pro Third Eye (socket 754 - CHEAP); Kingston RAM, Western Digital IDE Drives, M-Audio Delta 44 PCI card (no FireWire on the MOBO!) Windoze XP SP1, (all speed tweaks) Ableton Live 5.0.3. Works.

29% Live 5 Performance test it will go faster (27%) in Turbo mode but mine gets too hot, I think maybe I didn't put enough cooling paste under the CPU :D

By the way I only build my own because it's the only way I can afford one at all at the moment.

xl5

Post by xl5 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:02 am

Supster,

Don't waste you time and breath with people who use common sense as the knowledge of ignorance.
Yes, Live's working just fine even though Ableton keeps on releasing bug fixes !?!?
If my copy of Live was working like theirs I would't be hanging around the BUGS AND PROBLEMS section of the forum like they do :roll:

kechambe

Post by kechambe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:33 am

Alex wrote:Keith,

could you provide me with the system crash log of Live?
"/Users/USERNAME/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Live.crash.log"

regards,
/Alex
Thanks for the reply -- logs sent.

Keith

theo

Post by theo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:54 pm

well.. I used to have cpu spikes problems with 5.03 but now no more.

fix: changed my celeron 2.4ghz compaq laptop for a pentiumM 1.7ghz toshiba laptop.

:lol:

radeon

Post by radeon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:10 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:as a matter of fact, i do use vst/au plugs and instruments, but due to the limitations of my computer, i bounce them to audio ASAP.

there is a cpu limit. To me, the fact that limit is reached quicker by live than some other pieces of software is negated by the fact that i can write much faster in live than those other pieces of software. However, this is differrent from "bugs."

As far as bugs, i'm denying them because i don't experience them. You can choose not to believe me if you want, but live 5 does not crash or misbehave on a regular basis on my system.

.lm.
ok this is easy. Your not see problems like me because you working with audio only. You saying
i do use vst/au plugs and instruments, but due to the limitations of my computer, i bounce them to audio ASAP.
negated by the fact that i can write much faster in live than those other pieces of software.
Yes in first writing song idea it is fast but not fast later. Ahaa :wink: So I dont freeze early. I record much filter and things from vst plug all over my song in different places so I having to freeze and not freeze to many time which is sloooooow. when the arrangement time come with no track freezed it is nightmare mission. slow screen dragging clips- pops and clickings -and crashing. It is not good for me to the freezing fo all my vst because I always have to freeze and not freeze and freeze again so many times. IT TAKE TO LOoooooooOOONG and is not the flexible use of vst midi.
You working live easy way. You ask live to perform only playback audio. These are why you dont get problems so pleeeeese to stop to deny for other users who ARE haveing the big bug problems.
Youres not alone I read many from user with no problem so I think to myself why and got confusion but then I understandings the peoples work in limited way. There are no problem to work like you. only we is not all able to work like so.
When I finishing my song today arrangement I must freeze every track vst and audio. ONLY THEN will Live play back witho no big problems. I do same with all my song I write add more time frustrates I dont like to do this all times.

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:29 pm

I record much filter and things from vst plug all over my song in different places so I having to freeze and not freeze to many time which is sloooooow. when the arrangement time come with no track freezed it is nightmare mission. slow screen dragging clips- pops and clickings -and crashing. It is not good for me to the freezing fo all my vst because I always have to freeze and not freeze and freeze again so many times. IT TAKE TO LOoooooooOOONG and is not the flexible use of vst midi.
Maybe you just want too much , ever thought of getting a KORG like workstation or a protools HD system :? ? Those systems have predifined guaranteed performance , you get what's on the box.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:15 pm

perhaps, perhaps not.

i experience these hideous audio glitches when playing some simple audio clips, usually 1 or 2 bars in length, and no vsts.

also, i just discovered spectrasonics trilogy is now , as of installing 5.03 but only testing trilogy now, popping and clicking like a rotten whore's abortion. one midi clip, 4 bars in length , simple note progression , and one instance of trilogy. and there are hideous noises coming out of my speakers even when i freeze the track.

tyhe

arrangement window

Post by tyhe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:22 pm

yeah, the arrangement window sucks compared to other programs, but not until i installed 5.0.3 has it not worked at all. i cant access any of my arrangements or make a new one. when i click the button to go between the live window and the arrangement window the program crashes. this hasnt happened in any other live version ive had, though my pc is a piece of shit.

so, my questions are:
1- is 5.0.3 the latest?
2- if so, how gay is that?
3- can anyone help?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:27 pm

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:07 pm

djsynchro wrote:New versions announced
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=n ... ac_support
beautiful
"One of Ableton's major development goals for 2006 is to deliver faster audio performance to Live users"

thank you.

on topic, really hoping this development goal includes a revamp of the arrange grid paradigm

if you can make it as fluid as PT / Cubase or Logic i absolutely believe it would be the best arrangement tool in the industry.

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:28 pm

"One of Ableton's major development goals for 2006 is to deliver faster audio performance to Live users"
The press release which I've just read at KVR about Live 6 makes it sound like this performance gain will be available as a 'feature' in v6, not a 'bugfix' in 5.2.

Oh dear.

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:58 pm

iain.morland wrote:
The press release which I've just read at KVR about Live 6 makes it sound like this performance gain will be available as a 'feature' in v6, not a 'bugfix' in 5.2.

Oh dear.
yeah well ... i get the impression there's only so much they can do in this version without some major re-coding.

the audio glitching problem is something that seems like it can be figured out and maybe minimized if they track down the root causes of the problem and/or determine what conflicts are making it worse for some people

the arrange grid issue seems like something that is inherent to the way live handles the clips and theres probably no way they can make a real dent in that without changing that in a really fundamental way.

this is what i think because its a pervasive problem with too many people, its been going on for way too long, and they havent done anything to improve it so far from what i can see.

so for the arrangement thing i guess we'll just have to wait. i truly hope they are not taking a quick fix attitude like "lets just enable multi-processor support and let people throw more horsepower at it" which would be the shortcut way, as opposed to rethinking how it works and give the multi-processor support, which would be the best (and more expensive, work intensive) way imo
--

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:57 pm

Good points. I feel strongly about this and have just posted more on it here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32691

radeon

Post by radeon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:28 am

mr-e wrote:
I record much filter and things from vst plug all over my song in different places so I having to freeze and not freeze to many time which is sloooooow. when the arrangement time come with no track freezed it is nightmare mission. slow screen dragging clips- pops and clickings -and crashing. It is not good for me to the freezing fo all my vst because I always have to freeze and not freeze and freeze again so many times. IT TAKE TO LOoooooooOOONG and is not the flexible use of vst midi.
Maybe you just want too much , ever thought of getting a KORG like workstation or a protools HD system :? ? Those systems have predifined guaranteed performance , you get what's on the box.
It is not to much. I easy to do this more than ten year past. I only mean I record filterings data and velocity changing. I not ask for guaranteed certain performance. I only ask to play 10 audio and a little live vst and plug without cpu get sick. :)