musicians earplugs...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
missjade

musicians earplugs...

Post by missjade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:09 am

i just got fitted for a pair today... i'm so excited!! :D i got ones with the 20 db filters...

just wanted to know if anyone uses them while djing, and if so, does it feel that much different? i'm scared it will be a little annoying at first..but i guess not as scary as going deaf :wink:

-cj

netzstaub

Post by netzstaub » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:17 am

I use mine (-14, -18 dB) almost all the time. It doesn't really feel much different, I forget about the earplugs in a few seconds, and the listening experience is much more enjoyable : no more ringing sounds at the gig, and no ringing sounds the day after :)

jackmazzotti

Post by jackmazzotti » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:28 am

where did you guys get yours
I definately need some

missjade

Post by missjade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:40 am

jackmazzotti wrote:where did you guys get yours
I definately need some
hey-

just look up an audiologist near you ...they should be able to fit you for them, or at least refer you to someone who can. they're about $150-200 for the pair and i think the filters go for around another $50 a pair (i had a choice between 15, 20 and 25 db).. i always thought that it was overindulgent to have these, but someone asked me if i thought my hearing was worth $200... so yeah, that shut me up :oops:

if you're in the nyc area, i could refer you to someone :D

c

The Benjamin

Post by The Benjamin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:57 pm

Just gonna throw in my $.02. I got fitted for these some years ago and I'll never ever ever go back. Besides protecting my hearing, for me they actually make loud music sound better because they keep my ears from getting stressed. If you are at all concerned about protecting your hearing, buy a pair of these.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:01 pm

As you're having the plugs molded, consider getting IEMs instead. It will cost a bit more, but you'll not only have superb hearing protection, but outstanding sound quality when using them instead of headphones.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:10 pm

What's IEM? Are all of us just starting to look for some supposed to know what this is?

thump

Post by thump » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:11 pm

just wanna throw my full and unconcditional support behind a pair of custom earplugs. they are absolutely essential to protecting your hearing in a club environment, and once you're in the mode of using them, and perhaps even carrying them around, you'll be surprised at how many places they come in handy. this modern world is very, very hard on hearing, and every bit of damage you stop today is a step towards being able to enjoy sound and music tomorrow and into the future. not to sound like a motivational speaker, but

:) :) :)

you're worth it!!!

:) :) :)

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm

i have a pair of etymotic ER-20s. they are pretty basic earplugs but are only USD$12 and keep a pretty consistent sound quality. etymotic also does molded earplugs and in-ear monitors (IEMs). one thing about in-ear monitors that many people do not realize is that they can actually be worse for your hearing than regular headphones. unless they cancel out a sufficient amount of ambient noise, they have to be turned up pretty loud, and the sound pressure has nowhere to go but your eardrum. on the other hand, if you got in-ears with 25-dB filters or higher, you wouldnt have to turn them up very loudly.

http://etymotic.com/

inis

Re: ..

Post by inis » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 pm

missjade wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:where did you guys get yours
I definately need some
hey-

just look up an audiologist near you ...they should be able to fit you for them, or at least refer you to someone who can. they're about $150-200 for the pair and i think the filters go for around another $50 a pair (i had a choice between 15, 20 and 25 db).. i always thought that it was overindulgent to have these, but someone asked me if i thought my hearing was worth $200... so yeah, that shut me up :oops:

if you're in the nyc area, i could refer you to someone :D

c
couldnt find audiologist in the phonee book. anything else it might be under?

missjade

Re: ..

Post by missjade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:17 pm

c[/quote]

couldnt find audiologist in the phonee book. anything else it might be under?[/quote]

don't look under physicians...probably won't be there. check under "hearing" or "hearing aids". you'll find that some of these hearing aid places are audiology centers as well. are you in nyc? there's a place that specializes in musicians earplugs right in midtown..

:mrgreen:

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:18 am

icedsushi wrote:What's IEM? Are all of us just starting to look for some supposed to know what this is?
In Ear Monitors, I guess. IE, earplugs and earphones rolled into one.

funkateer

Post by funkateer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:42 am

+1 on the ER-20s. I have several pairs attached to car keys, in gig bag, just to be sure I always have them when I need them. I would be interested to hear from those who have upgraded from the ER-20s to the audiologist fitted $$$ earplugs. How 'transparent' are the pricey ones vs the ER-20s?

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:55 am

funkateer wrote:+1 on the ER-20s. I have several pairs attached to car keys, in gig bag, just to be sure I always have them when I need them. I would be interested to hear from those who have upgraded from the ER-20s to the audiologist fitted $$$ earplugs. How 'transparent' are the pricey ones vs the ER-20s?
how do u like the ER-20s? can u still hear the sounds you need to hear when performing?

i have been considering a pair, but haven't got them yet. wanted to hear some reviews on them first.
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

funkateer

Post by funkateer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:39 pm

djshiva wrote: how do u like the ER-20s? can u still hear the sounds you need to hear when performing?

i have been considering a pair, but haven't got them yet. wanted to hear some reviews on them first.
Get'em. Not completely transparent, but not bad. You can hear what you need to, but the sound is a little colored (less high end).