Kill all midi.. ie stuck notes.. how to do this

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
shaneblyth

Kill all midi.. ie stuck notes.. how to do this

Post by shaneblyth » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:43 pm

occasionallly i stop live and the sounds get stuck.. is there a quick way to send a kill all to midi devices.. i think this sends a note off command to all notes that get stuck on

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:06 pm

not that I know of, but if you're having stuck notes on a usb midi interface it may be because of your usb power settings. This can be changed in the control panel->system->device manager->usb hubs setting (PC)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:13 pm

Machinate wrote:not that I know of, but if you're having stuck notes on a usb midi interface it may be because of your usb power settings. This can be changed in the control panel->system->device manager->usb hubs setting (PC)
maybe i should make it a litle clearer.. mid data is sent out in the form of note on and note off.. sometimes if you stop playback and it has only sent a note on for a sound it drones on so a note off needs to be sent. There is usually in most daws a command to panic kill all midi notes .. inother words it sends a set of note offs for all notes by midi. I can hit a button on my sound modul to do this but I would of though that Live would have had this feature. I cant see a reference to it in the maunal.It is pretty important as if this happens to do you it sounds terrible especially ina live situation.

Pilgrim

All notes off

Post by Pilgrim » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:14 am

If you are triggering a plug-in in LIVE!, it should stop.

If using another MIDI tone generator, external or other software, use MIDIOX between LIVE! and the player ard you can send a panic from MIDIOX.
You COULD embed an "ALL NOTES OFF" in a MIDI clip and play it.
www.midiox.com

Great lil program, does lots of neat stuff.

Pilgrim

wayne

Hitting the transport stop does it

Post by wayne » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:21 am

At least from my experimentation, hitting the transport stop (top of screen) sends out an all notes off for every channel that's doing MIDI. Maybe I'm just lucky.