Camp Ableton founded in Berlin, 2005

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
conny

Post by conny » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:01 am

PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

borg

Post by borg » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:33 am

what a coincidence... just this week, i've been thinking about getting a bunch together when my new place is finished. just wrote conny this night how i wanted to drive around flanders and meet some other ableton users early next year...

must have been great!

meetings like these can be very fruitful. over at planetZ (creamware) we did meet regularly and some guys have gotten quite amazing results brainstorming for adern's modular synth modules ( www.adern.com should be interested in modular synthesis). it was a bit over the top of my head, but it was fun watching these guys building huge machines that come to live with freshly written codes.
of coarse, most of these guys never get to make any tracks :wink:
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:35 am

Hey Conny, how about a site posting all your stuff?

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:02 am

Amazing idea!
In addition of being constructive, the camp must have been real fun and we'll all benefit from that...

So what's next? "Ableton records"? :D

Cheers

Ben
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

forge

Post by forge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:30 am

bigbadotis wrote:Hmmm... I feel that this is a strong argument for starting long protracted flame wars in order to raise my post count so that I might get invited next year.

Macs are way faster than Windoze for Live. Who is this BT dude I keep hearing about? Is he any good? What's the best controller for doing stuff? Like with knobs and other thingies. America rocks.
he he...dont think it was those kind of posts that got us there!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:26 am

Was this event publicized? I might have attended had I known about it. And if it was invite only, then I'm sorta feeling a little left out.

Yeah, it's a great idea for sure, but I really feel like I missed out a bit.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:10 am

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

-ahem, excuse me... That's pretty cool!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:19 am

Alright, before any of us get jealous and start acting like jealous 5 year olds (oh yeah- too late :oops: ,) I suggest we heed the advice of this video:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/26951/

amo

Post by amo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:08 am

forge wrote:
bigbadotis wrote:Hmmm... I feel that this is a strong argument for starting long protracted flame wars in order to raise my post count so that I might get invited next year.

Macs are way faster than Windoze for Live. Who is this BT dude I keep hearing about? Is he any good? What's the best controller for doing stuff? Like with knobs and other thingies. America rocks.
he he...dont think it was those kind of posts that got us there!
Well... depends who right ? :lol:
j/k
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:57 am

nebulae wrote:Was this event publicized? I might have attended had I known about it. And if it was invite only, then I'm sorta feeling a little left out.

Yeah, it's a great idea for sure, but I really feel like I missed out a bit.
well, this wasn't publicized.
the abes decided in october to invite 10 users selected on more or less subjective criteria to take part in this first camp.
it was a *great* surprise for the 10 of us and we were asked to keep that confidential. we knew some ppl would feel left out, but what to do? say no to the abes? ask them to invite 15 or 20 ppl?
please don't blame nobody.

this sort of thing will happen again as the first camp was such a great experience, on a human as well as on a working level. so don't feel left out, i'd rather say the opposite: get involved in the community more than ever. it may turn fruitfull.

and about how good the mood was, i'll just say: panorama bar, sunday morning, 11am, good bear, sun is shinning...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:45 am

ooh... the panorama bar......
Thats one of the sickest clubs i've ever been too.
Awesome...
You arrive there at 7 am when the party is getting started 8O

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:48 am

hoffman2k wrote: You arrive there at 7 am when the party is getting started 8O
and Forge myself and Machinate are not allowed in because we look like a boyband...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:01 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
hoffman2k wrote: You arrive there at 7 am when the party is getting started 8O
and Forge myself and Machinate are not allowed in because we look like a boyband...
the Ableton 4 :p

Thank god that Dave Hill didn't look like an idiot. Or we wouldn't have gotten inside :wink:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:25 pm

Maybe Dave shouldn't have gotten us in... I think I'm permanently emotionally scarred by some of the sights there... 8O

forge

Post by forge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:45 pm

yeah, we all asked about others that we thought might have been invited and the response was generally "oh well, next time"......so be good boys and girls and your time will come!

dont feel bad though when I say it was the best time I've had in a long, long time. Machinate and I lost our voices completely from shouting and laughing for a whole long weekend (and passive smoking - wow they like to smoke in Europe)

and Berlin - what an amazing place, about as comsmopolitan and decadent as it gets but small enough population to not be crowded....you could be from Alpha Centauri and walk down the streets of Berlin with blue tentacles hanging out of your eyes and Berliners most likely wouldn't care or even notice. Anything goes. And the panorama club is living testament. A converted Old East German power station, and it looked like a club Neo from the matrix would have gone to....we went there about 7 am after starting out getting drunk with The Abes at a proper German style restaurant drinking Bear and schnapps, then all went to the 2 Dane’s hotel room to drink whiskey and more bear, getting a knock at about 3 from the hotel staff for being too loud so turning it down then after about an hour moving on to a club we'd passed on the way called "bastard" where they had some drum'n'bass with an English MC where we all danced like loons and sweated in our new Ableton hoodies which we were ALL wearing like some kind of weird Cult.

The whole way there Noisetonepause, while very drunk and lairy was doing his English Hooligan impression and shouting Obscenities to the Night sky so by the time we got to the Club he was ready for a sleep, the number one mistake when out drinking with a group of 10 drunk blokes.

So the pictures of him with the Ableton logo in Biro on his forehead are around somewhere, as well as one of Shawn, the only remaining Ableton sitting on his head...Shawn being the true hedonist on this occasion because for the whole time we were taking advantage of the completely unconscious Noisetonepase, Shawn was completely unaware that he was a member of our party at all and was totally up for doing all these things to a complete stranger, and thereby creating the line for the whole evening:
“Oh that was Nik? Man I thought it was like, some random dude.”

Random passed out dude with the Ableton logo in Biro on his forehead. Well that made me laugh. In fact complete expulsion of all air in my lungs and water in my tear ducts is a better way of describing the state of complete hysteria that realisation brought upon me. Being so up for doing it to one of your own is one thing, but to a complete stranger? Now that is someone worth drinking with.

Amo was next to fall, so the pair were dragged together for a group photo.

The madcap antics of the Bastard club were of course the ultimate irony - that apparently the club actually turns you into one.

Once we had actually exhausted the possibilities of the Bastard and Hoffman2ks joint bearing MILF, we decided it was time to make our way on to the Panorama for a bit of that 90s Keanu Reeves future movie night club action.

An experience to be had, but next time I will heed Robert's advice and go at 6 or 7 am after a good nights sleep and not after a Debauched drinking mission of extremity.

Our first descent onto the Panorama was almost a disaster when Myself, sweetjesus, Hoffman2k and Peeeddrroo were denied entry. So completely unexpected was this response we nearly lost all hope and went to sleep in the nearby pile of rubble. We asked the doorman why, to which he replied: "Because it is So".

Well. What can you say to that.

So we went round a corner to contemplate the next course of action when I realised that the people I was with were all wearing the Ableton Hoodie. Then I looked down and noticed that I, too was wearing the Ableton hoodie.

Well, as stylish as the new Ableton hoodie is, when all of you at once are wearing it, it might encourge the appearance that you all look like escaped lunatics. The cult like appearence of a group of people all wearing the same black hoodie had apparently prevented us from gaining access to Panorama, so we at once took off our hoodies and tied them round our wastes, and walked in without a hitch.

THe place ws amazing, a HUGE converted powerstation with controls and stuff still around, and cubicle indents in the walls for people to have sex in. Which people used, obligingly.

Downstairs was quite hard and fast techno and upstairs was more underground and electro house, and that's where we stayed.

Hambone happily told us of how "In the states these people would be round up and shot" which offered a nice little slant to the scene. Indeed, I'm sure they would have.

But by now I was reaching for the Vodka and red bulls to keep me going and it was starting to not work.

The only way at that stage I could have carried on any further would have been with some kind of illegal stimulant, which was not an option, so at about 10am one taxi of us headed back to the hotel. It was at this point I remembered that my key had broken in the lock about 7 hours previously, so I had to wait for that to be fixed before I could go to sleep, but when I did I slept.

Next thing I knew I was woken by knock on the door and Sweetjesus at the door asking if I wanted to go with everyone who was taking Robert up on an invite to his place. Well I wasn’t going to miss the amazing priviledge or seeing Roberts studio in action, (not to mention being invited into his home – the guy is an absolute gem), sleep can fuck off and wait until next year for all I care.

So after seeing his real life working PPG and hearing some wild and whacky sounds, in the setting of an Uber cool high up Berlin apartment, the Americans then arrived. Dave Ableton from NY and 2 of his Berlin dwelling US DJ mates, and we all went out for curry in a fantastic Indian restaurant nearby.

We then headed off to a bar which Robert said was in the local area, after walking along a canal, across a large park and about 3 suburbs we eventually realised that Roberts light usage of the word “local” actually meant “within the borders of Germany”, and had a quiet one, and that was Sunday night.

Weeeeel, I didn’t actually mean to write this much, just kind of got carried away.

I’m sure I’ll have another one of these moments and write something else.