Logic or Protools for OSX??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Hulk

Logic or Protools for OSX??

Post by The Hulk » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:53 pm

Ok, I never thought I'd be asking for purchasing advice...but I just got a MOTU 2408mk3 which I'm thinking of exchanging for either a lower end Motu 828 in conjuction with Logic....or the 8 i/o channel Digidesign rack module with protools.....Ahhh...now that they both support Rewire I just have no idea. From what I understand you can open Reason and Ableton within Logic. All those AU's, but for less money I get a module and Protools...which is the standard right? I'm just trying to get my money's worth, because I don't need such a high end sound module and I'm ready to ditch Cubase SX for better software. Which software better lends itself to Live performance?

jory

Post by jory » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:56 pm

I just ditched Protools LE for a MOTU 828 and DP4 (I had been using DP before)

I'll tell you my main complaints about Protools>

I feel that they have a smug business plan were they rely too much on the notion that they are "the standard". Witness the fact that they are only JUST NOW adopting Rewire! Welcome to 1999 Digidesign glad you could join us.

Also I really hate that you can't run LE without a digidesign interface plugged in. I like to edit my music on the road or in a cafe with my laptop. I dislike having to use their hardware as a big and expensive dongle.

Also for me I was appalled by the low quality of the digi effects that come with LE, both DP4 and , from my limited experience with it, Logic come with decent effects.

Choosing Logic or DP opens the door to use a greater variety of hardware and Plug-ins.

My opinion, your milage may vary.

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:29 pm

Logic Logic Logic Logic.

I bought the Digi001, with ProTools LE. So I had 6 months experience with ProTools before I got Logic.

ProTool's native plug ins suck big time. You get a measly assortment - just bare bones stuff. It'll cost you big bucks to add some decent plug ins. Logic comes with a superb array of plug ins - both bread and butter and great sound design tools. No sound design tools in Pro Tools. Not an Auto Filter in site. ProTools is a very good audio editor (and so is Logic), but Logic's MIDI is streets ahead of Pro Tools. And don't let anyone convince you that Logic is complicated to learn. I don't know where that story came from, but it's bullshit. Logic is logical. I would suggest paying a visit to sonikmatter.com, where you'll find an excellent Logic forum, frequented by some very helpful people. I pass comment on the forum at Digi's site - but give it a visit and make up your own mind.
And Logic also comes with three synthesisers, which are suprisingly good, and there are a number of additional soft synths you can add as you go along - all superb, including an awesome vocoder (EVOC 20).

And, probably most important of all I've always found Logic to be very stable, whereas Pro Tools, whilst not neccassarily being unstable seems to be more touchy about the environment it likes to work in.

In their favour, Digidesign are very efficient at supplying compatiblity charts for their various products - there's lots of this information on their site, and I'm told that they put equipment/software through rigorous tests before posting results. And I certainly don't have any complaint against the hardware (Digi 001) which has always performed very well for me.

Tim

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:28 am

I think it's fair to assume you don't mean a full Pro Tools rig installed in a studio with a sound area for live recording. Which is the only Pro Tools worth anything nd even then only because it is the "standard" and will get you more "clients" that end up overpaying for it anyway.

Logic by a country mile. Pro Tools has long since become a self-congratulatory club of elitists while the rest of the world has moved on around them. Some of them are finaly working that one out and even as a PC user I truly hope Apple/Emagic give it to them up the rear-en in the long run. They are certainly making a dent and forcing Degidesign to get off their asses as it is.

Logic. It's a beautiful sound manipulation environment. You find all kinds of neat tricks in it no matter how long you have been using it. Oh. And if it was for that studio replete with live sound area Logic hooked wtih some serious converter units and some outboard to finish off is still the wise move imo. F%^k the clients. They are the people that need Rewiring!

PS: Soundscape pisses on Pro Tools for reliability and always has.

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:01 pm

Thanks! I think it's safe to say I've thoroughly been sold on Logic. I'm gonna exchange for an 828 and Logic on Monday!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:23 pm

Please, please, please promise me you'll try it DP. I've used Logic as a hobbyist for a year or so, then sold it and got live; now that I'm beginning to reconsider MIDI sequencing, and also breaking into multitrack audio recording, I stumbled over DP. Oh joy. It's fabulous. You can also get it cheaper than Logic if you're getting an 828 by upgrading the bundled software called AudioDesk II.

-Paws

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:12 pm

Well I definitely wouldn't recommend DP. A friend of mine has it and also has a number of MIDI related problems that neither he nor MOTU's help line have been able to solve.

Of course, this could be something related to his system, but after sitting with him for a number of hours and seeing how DP operates, I find it's way of working pretty unintuitive.

I know this is a personal taste thing. I came from Cubase on the Atari and Logic works in quite a similar way.

There seems to be far more support available for Logic too. I can usually get through to their support line after a couple of tries, and as i said earlier, the forum at sonikmatter.com is excellent.

And then there's Logic's soft synths. Marvellous.

Tim

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:31 am

DP 4 is nice in OSX but until MOTU supply a free pair of binoculars for MIDI editing i'd say way clear of it, nice as it is. Plus you are stuck with MAS and wrappers and all that junk until they get AU's sorted out. Go Logic and slowly fall in love.

cperezzz

Re: Logic or Protools for OSX??

Post by cperezzz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:46 pm

logic
world wide peacemaker

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Pro Tools - blech. Logic Studio good. Latest logic esp is much better for sync to film/viddy. Saying this after I was sound director for a 95-minute film and had to do 40 tracks of sound which I then had to put into Pro Tools for the mastering guys. Do not buy older versions of Logic, go with the Studio.

If you do education-related work or have a friend as such, you might find the Academic version (albeit non-upgradeable) for as little as $149 like I did.

Cheers!
Elizabeth

PS I love the event list.
~ Female vocalist meets chthonic glitcherie ~
https://sealtlab.bandcamp.com/album/s20 ... erzglimmer

mbp 13". 10.11.6. L10.1.x suite. microphone. sony d100. scrap metal. push 2. livid code. blofeld. et al.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:06 am

Logic++

It's really deep and I keep finding out cool new ways to do things. The effects are amazing.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:13 am

cperezzz wrote:logic
Why all the thread bumps from 5 years ago?

There are tons of topics since then that have better/more up to date info in them

yoshitosser

Post by yoshitosser » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:21 am

john doe by choice wrote:

There are tons of topics since then that have better/more up to date info in them
'cos the guys a fucking (racist) troll? wow, you need somebody explaining that to you?

Krzysztof

Post by Krzysztof » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:36 am

Logic is a composers' dreamtool.

K

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:03 am

yoshitosser wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:

'cos the guys a fucking (racist) troll? wow, you need somebody explaining that to you?
looks like you just trolled yourself, genius - we've all seen his bullshit "name one professional" thread, although I don't spend enough time here watching his posts to know he's a racist, so good for you, time well spent, here's some free internets, enjoy