Midi Interface Recommendations

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
e.maynard

Midi Interface Recommendations

Post by e.maynard » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:30 pm

Hi. I'm hoping to sync my Radar II (HD Recorder) to my G3 Pismo Powerbook running Ableton Live, and out of live to a (Boss) DR-770. The Radar II has MTC out, and I'm hoping Live will follow the Radar. I'm also hoping live will output midi clock to the drum machine. Will this work? I'll be using this in the studio for providing a click while tracking musicians, and then creating loops and/or drum machine parts after the fact......and have it all in sync.

I already have a Digigram VX-Pocket for audio, can anyone tell me which midi interface (USB, Firewire or PCMCIA). Is USB "Good enough" for a midi interface?

Thanks a lot.....e.maynard

siwat909

midi interface

Post by siwat909 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:39 am

hi there,
I've used a number of midi interfaces with live and none have caused any major problems, the Midiman USB midisport products have all proved to be the best value ,if you are on a budget----and the MOTU USB stuff are also good but proportionally more expensive, ---the only ones to avoid are the e-magic range consistently dodgy, suprising since Apple bought the company recently.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:11 pm

the only ones to avoid are the e-magic range consistently dodgy, suprising since Apple bought the company recently.
Thats the first time I have heard that but I think your right. I have had problems with my AMT8 from day 1. Regardless of how many times I have installed I still get error messsages. 2 computers later and another AMT8 and its still a problem.

I asked this on teh Logic forum and everyone said the AMT8 was perfect and it must be my fault. Hmmmmm I´m not so sure now.

Erm so I dont reccomend the Emagic ones. Seeing as its all I have use dI cant reccomend anything. Sorry

podprod

amt 8

Post by podprod » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:40 pm

yes I can agree that e magic midi interfaces are really buggy,,the drivers are NOT stable compared to midiman and motu..
Out of the lot..having tested almost all in my production studio on mac's and pc's..the motu usb interfaces are well thought out for all platforms and always show up in whatever program I open..
Somehow logic decided that thier interfaces need to be in control in terms of the order of things..whenever I had an e magic interface not plugged in my computers were going nuts tring to make me plug the darned thing in..
If all you needto do is rum a basci 2x2 or 4x4 then anything will do ..once you start going 8x8 and perhaps adding another 8x8 I recommend staying with either motu or midiman in that order..
recently added a motu 5x5 usb(micro lite) as an extra controller set up for live with excellent and stable results
btw..have found midiman and motu drivers not to co exhist as nice as they should..
My 2 cents..hope this helps a bit..
regards
POD