ABLETON PRGRAMMERS:Please work your coding!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
radeon

ABLETON PRGRAMMERS:Please work your coding!!

Post by radeon » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:21 pm

I have a dual G5 and a 3.2 P4 both very fast machines EXCEPT WITH LIVE 5. The performance of your software is the worst of all music software I have experienced ++++++ your bugs became a tedious chore months ago and yet they are still there.

Very dissapointed in this company which looked so promising at the start.

I wait...................I wait................frustration..........

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:45 pm

8O
don't you expect a program that's so powerful and that does such a lot in real time to be a bit heavy CPU?

instead of whining, why don't you tell us more about your sets configuration, so that someone can help you optimize your CPU usage?

+++++ i'm getting tired of people complaining about 'bugs' and posting nothing in the "bugs and problems" forum... be helpful and constructive, write down what problems you are experiencing in full letters.

MrTom

Post by MrTom » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:58 pm

peeddrroo wrote:8O
don't you expect a program that's so powerful and that does such a lot in real time to be a bit heavy CPU?

instead of whining, why don't you tell us more about your sets configuration, so that someone can help you optimize your CPU usage?

+++++ i'm getting tired of people complaining about 'bugs' and posting nothing in the "bugs and problems" forum... be helpful and constructive, write down what problems you are experiencing in full letters.
There are so many threads about performance. Does not make sense to add a new one. I am suprised too that Ableton does not listen to it.
Instead they release toy after toy, because this seems to attract most of the users...Maybe most of them do not record a lot of tracks :-)...

Now I have purchased Sonar..and believe me.. these are two different worlds. The sound and performance is so much better. I might keep the Live license, because I enjoy the toys too :-).., but I also want a good DAW.

MrTom

Post by MrTom » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:00 pm

There are so many threads about performance. Does not make sense to add a new one. I am suprised too that Ableton does not listen to it.
Instead they release toy after toy, because this seems to attract most of the users...Maybe most of them do not record a lot of tracks :-)...

Now I have purchased Sonar..and believe me.. these are two different worlds. The sound and performance is so much better. I might keep the Live license, because I enjoy the toys too :-).., but I also want a good DAW.

muthafunka

Re: ABLETON PRGRAMMERS:Please work your coding!!

Post by muthafunka » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:11 pm

radeon wrote:I have a dual G5 and a 3.2 P4 both very fast machines EXCEPT WITH LIVE 5. The performance of your software is the worst of all music software I have experienced ++++++ your bugs became a tedious chore months ago and yet they are still there.

Bugs or performance, which are you complaining about? Instead of whining go post specific details in the bugs and problems forum. Are you using legit bought and paid for versions of Live?
Also, with all due respect, showing up with 2 posts to tell us about what a 'tedious chore' using their software is and how 'disappointed' you are isn't going to get you the greatest of responses. Try tracking your problems down and contributing instead and we'll all feel better, including the Abletons.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:24 pm

peeddrroo wrote:don't you expect a program that's so powerful and that does such a lot in real time to be a bit heavy CPU?
Indeed... I reckon there's a lot more going on in Live what with everything being sliced, diced, warped and ready to play at a moments notice than there is in Logic.

claudek

Post by claudek » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:53 pm

You ever tried Apple's Garage Band? Talk about a audio loopers cpu hog.
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:43 pm

MrTom wrote:

im thinking f grabbing sonar 5 as well.there are way to many bugs in ableton 5 and like most people here i am just getting aggravated that none of them are being taken care of.well,at least the important ones arent.

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:58 pm

I don't think you can improve on Tracktion if anyone is looking for a low cost, cpu friendly DAW. The T2 box retails for 200.00 and a very high track count can be sustained on modest hardware - PC and Mac.

Tracktion borrows quite a bit from Live conceptually so the workflow is very good. You're going to recognize some things like the property panel approach. Other things in Tracktion are really quite unique, real improvements over the established way of getting things done: one window interface, arrangement mixing, all drag and drop, rack filters and more. Version 2 added improved midi and important audio engine refinements as well as more gui customization. A new point release came out this week.

It's become fairly common to see live posters on the Tracktion forums, rewiring Live to T2. Vernon Reid shows up on both companies websites and is quoted as using the apps rewired with T2 as the host.

Visit the forums at KVR and you'll see your share of people who are critical of the program but trust me, Tracktion has legs. It's already surprisingly full featured at version 2.

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/index.html

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:10 pm

I am sort of hoping that with more success the product quality and focus of Live does not stray too far from it's brilliant original direction.

I have Logic. If I need a DAW, I have Logic.

I have Max/msp. Once I get a chance to learn it I can theoretically add whatever specific toys I need.

I own this instrument called Ableton Live too. I loved my delta 2 version. I only bought 4 because I wanted to give the abes some money (for my conscience, as Delta was free with my maudio noise maker.) I bought operator because I really llike the idea off seemlessly integrating the midi in parallel with all of the great tricks, styles, manners I had learned in delta and 4. I was immediately pissed off when I realized that the OPerator could not use my second processor, and that It is a genuine hog.

IMO, Live could function as a DAW in version four with the aid of freeware plugins.
The fact that all of this programming is being spent on (ingenius) toys, and moderate bug fixes (I have had some reported quirks for almost a year now) and not on making it a sexier, cpu-lean machine, grates my nerves. Afterall, who needs complex warping if you can't run it without audio dropouts?

I admit that I have learned some lessons about minimal tecnho, because I have learned to explit the limited amount of CPU I can get from my dual 2g g5 to run a powerful (lovely-indeed) abe-verb, and use it virtually in solidarity for a bass groove or rhythm, but this only out of necessity, because One Big Operator+one Big Abe-verb= nearly saturated CPU expendature potential.

Why can't operators be distributed to a second processor? Is it a political/marketing decision used not offend the purists that only use LIve for straight up djing? I don't profess to know anything about anything, but these questions stifle me.

We all know you are smart dudes, and we love your product.

What's going on?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:28 pm

Alright, I figured out a satisfying thoery to keep me from whining anymore.

My theory is that these dudes decided not to invest man hours into making small steps in cpu performance because it would grossly dwarf any success or efforts that the exponentially developing processor companies are making. Any serious musician could theoretically sassify themselves with the instrument taht has been available since LIve 4. Every upgrade in software should realistically be paired or considered in parallel with a hardware upgrade. It is my reluctance to forgo my dual processor solution (regardless of operating sytem) that specifies determines both my priorities and my approach.

In fact, having made the decision not to go the professional route and optimise (impulsively, with regards to my long-term operating system preference and financial situation) my potential on an amd 64, pentium M or centrino pts me in the category of someone who is "supposedly" to busy making use of the overwhelming product at hand, rather than whining.

OK. I apologize for my first post Abe's, but all-together I feel that these two posts are clealry state the pain (choke) misery, despare (cough cough) and ENNUI that you have :roll: unfairly :wink: imposed on us! :P

Now back to my analytic Philosophy home work, for some easier answers!
Last edited by LOFA on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:39 pm

radeon wrote:I have a dual G5 and a 3.2 P4 both very fast machines EXCEPT WITH LIVE 5. The performance of your software is the worst of all music software I have experienced ++++++ your bugs became a tedious chore months ago and yet they are still there.

2 posts so far, man, you've been really quiet while waiting.

you sure you don't use complex mode ? that's really what eats the CPU, other than that, it's pretty reasonable
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

by-pass

Post by by-pass » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:02 pm

Why you are running for High configuration.......it's not the thing for make the good music.......
Live is made for compose and play in real time......that's use lot of cpu...... but the dev people have make the possibility to freeze midi track for use less cpu.....
I have one old powerbook config.....all work very well for make music
with live 5, I have resolve all the problem (drop-out, eavy cpu use, midi sincro, record from external machine.....) after have read the RTFM!!!!!
(for people dont no RTFM.....read your manual after you know!)
Stop this bullshit thread ...... learn how work your computer and live first!!!!
cheers
FIl
--> for info: http://www.music0films.info
--> Material:
  • Macpro, Yamaha 01X, APC 40, Novation Nocturn 25 , Ableton Live + Max4live + Serato Scratch Live
  • Macbook pro, RME multiface, Korg nanoPAD, nanoKeys, Ableton Live + Max4live

Left Eye Dominant

Post by Left Eye Dominant » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:22 pm

I have always looked upon Live as a creative tool to be used in conjuction with other hardware and software.... come up with the ideas in Live, print some audio then do the final polishing and mix in Cubase....never considered it as a DAW even in its latest incarnation.... having said that I have made a couple of tracks using only Live without any probs at all. It might be a bit of a CPU hog, but that is the trade off for it being so unbelievably flexible and intuitive. You just have to organise yourself properly. Christ, it wasn"t that long ago that I was making tracks with a Korg M1 and a Tascam 4 track cassette portastudio. Wanna talk about frustration..... try doing that.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:30 pm

Wow. I just listened to some of the first stuff I did when Operator came out. I completely blew my load then.

I have several intensely warm tracks with only one or two instances of operator on them and some cut up live drums.

More cpu means more money means more problems. Just ask Pdiddy or whatever the hell he calls himself these days.

Beat repeat and complex mode are great additions. Complex mode is a luxury, and beat repeat makes me want to use max.