Best way to deal with Complex Pro when making DJ Mix in arrangement mode

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fourfourfun

Best way to deal with Complex Pro when making DJ Mix in arrangement mode

Post by fourfourfun » Tue May 14, 2024 10:21 pm

I like to slowly piece mixes together in arrangement mode and Complex Pro is my timestretching algo of choice - I like being able to snap to key when playing tracks that might be a good few BPM higher/lower or have the ability to pitch semi-tones.

However, it has an impact. Stick Complex Pro onto a track and suddenly it gains a whole load of amplitude out of nowhere without actually sounding like it has. I've had an extreme outlier of this where a track had a huge spike on it when viewed in Audacity, however flicking between Complex Pro and Repitch Ableton, you wouldn't even know a sound had played.

So I've accepted this is a thing. My question is - how best to work around it?

I've got a bit of a routine where I put everything in Repitch, render with a VU meter on each channel to get peaks, find the optimum gain for everything, mix it, EQ it, then change everything back to Complex Pro.

But where next?

Take all the gains of the tracks down by something like -5db generally to provide headroom?
Upper limit on master to catch any mysterious nasty peaks?
Bit of Glue Compressor to lightly gel and bring the audio back up again?
-2db on master for a little headroom?

I feel like I'm almost there with a sense of what's good for me but I am essentially poking around in the dark for a solution.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Best way to deal with Complex Pro when making DJ Mix in arrangement mode

Post by [jur] » Wed May 15, 2024 12:45 am

fourfourfun wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:21 pm
Stick Complex Pro onto a track and suddenly it gains a whole load of amplitude out of nowhere without actually sounding like it has.
From your description, it sounds like it's probably some phase shifting might be involved here. Does the DC filter on Utility help by any chance?
Not sure if it's expected from this algorithm; might be worth checking this with Support.
I never noticed this myself but I might just have never being analytic enough to notice. I'll try to monitor this in the next few days.
Ableton Forum Moderator