I formatted my mac. Did I lose my collections and custom tags?🤦🏽‍♂️

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yoreciclobeats

I formatted my mac. Did I lose my collections and custom tags?🤦🏽‍♂️

Post by yoreciclobeats » Tue May 14, 2024 7:13 pm

I'm thinking about it but I don't know which file I'm looking for:

I have a Mac M1PRO and Ableton 12.

I had personalized my collections, with folders and sample libraries labeled by custom colors (Hip Hop, Electronica, R&B, etc.)

I formatted my computer and made my backup but all my collections are gone and I would like to have them back as before.

What file should I use from my backup to replace it on my newly formatted computer?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Rivanni

Re: I formatted my mac. Did I lose my collections and custom tags?🤦🏽‍♂️

Post by Rivanni » Wed May 15, 2024 12:43 am

If you want to restore all your Live settings, it's essential to have the files Library.cfg and Preferences.cfg from your most recent backup. Place them in the folder Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 12.0.2. Do this while Live is closed.

If your plugins are installed and sample and other folders that were added to Places are in the exact same location as before the format, you should see everything appear in Live after it finishes indexing.

If you don't have those two .cfg files, you need to set everything as it was before in Live's Preferences. Also, manually add all folders to Places that were there before. Click on the word Collections and then Edit on the right. Check all boxes.

Your sample, midi, and other folders contain Ableton folders and files with tag information. Live uses that information to restore the tags. Most of the other tags are stored in the User Library. So, the collection and tag information are there. Live must only be made aware of it.

yoreciclobeats

Post by yoreciclobeats » Wed May 15, 2024 12:35 pm

DONE. IT'S WORK!!!

THANK YOU! :lol:

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Wed May 15, 2024 2:12 pm

Good to hear!