Max For Live Device Alteration/Creation

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
R.

Max For Live Device Alteration/Creation

Post by R. » Sat May 04, 2024 9:22 am

Hey Guys - I just posted this in the Cylcing forum but I thought I might add it here to expand my search.

I have a device here which I purchased - the idea is that it triggers record on Ableton's Looper whilst keeping quantisation.

I generally like the way it functions but there is a fundamental issues with one thing. It is designed to be used only when the track is "selected" in Ableton and does not function blind or in the background.

I think I need the patch to be altered ever so slightly in order to achieve this but this is way beyond my skill level in Max. The other alternative is to develop a new device from scratch if this is somehow easier.

I have reach out to the developer to do the work but it has been 5 years since he made this thing and I having waited a while already I don't think I'm going to get a response.

I'm searching for someone to commission this project to perhaps this forum might help point me in the right direction.? Please get in touch if you wish to discuss it.

Thanks,

chapelier fou

Re: Max For Live Device Alteration/Creation

Post by chapelier fou » Sat May 04, 2024 10:06 am

What device is it ?
I might help.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

R.

Post by R. » Sun May 05, 2024 10:43 am

Thanks for reaching out :)

The Device is called D_Lo Looper System Control

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun May 05, 2024 8:00 pm

Can you explain how you would like it to behave ?
Stick to the latest looper selected if you select a track that’s not containing a looper device ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

R.

Post by R. » Mon May 06, 2024 9:18 am

So at the moment the only I am only using the record and play functions of the device - But if possible I would like to keep the rest of the device still intact so I can use it if necessary.

The way it functions right now is that one iteration of this device controls multiple iterations of the looper device on various tracks. The problem is that for it to 'control' the looper the tack and looper in question has to be selected in Ableton.

I am developing a CSS script for my midi device and the select track function is already integral to another element of the script - by having two parts of the script need this functionality to work properly it is just way to messy and convoluted. The midi controller has 8 channels and it controls 8 tracks in my live set.On these 8 tracks I have 8 loopers - The way I would like loopers to function is in the background.

On my Midi controller I have one button that is dedicated to triggering, playing and stopping looper patterns. This is fixed and cannot be changed. (I program the different message the max device and the Looper receives using the CSS script so no need to worry about one button functionality.)

So what I need the device to do is, when the midi button is pressed it will launch record mode on the specified track without changing the screen focus or 'selected device' in Ableton.

At the moment this device necessitates only one iteration of the plugin - this is probably unnecessary and I can have individual iterations on each track.

If i was to short hand all the above into one sentence I would say 'I need the device to function as it does but linked to a single looper instead of controlling multiple devices'.

I think in many ways the functionality is more simple, but unpacking and simplifying the device might be a little fiddly.