PGM Changes on MIDI tracks with monitoring on IN?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dugrok

PGM Changes on MIDI tracks with monitoring on IN?

Post by Dugrok » Sat May 04, 2024 1:42 am

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a live set where I would like Ableton to handle changing patches on my hardware synths and software instruments.

Currently, I am using a MIDI track with monitoring set to IN (rather than AUTO) as I want this track to always react to my playing the controller (a Moog Sub 37). The reason is workflow: the set is already a lot for me to handle and I don't want to have to arm the track on Push because sometimes I am singing and my hands are already busy playing a keyboard part when the change has to happen.

Using the Chain Selector in an Instrument Rack I am able to select different sounds on software instruments and my hardware synths (using the EXT INST device) by launching clips or whole scenes with my Push 2. This works great, even when the track is set to IN.

I am noticing however that sending Program changes to my UDO Super 6 using the dedicated program change slots does not work when the track is set to IN. If I change the track to AUTO monitoring instead of IN it works fine.

Is this normal (I'd assume it is)? If so, is there a way around it that doesn't involve me making another track? The set is already a lot to handle for my brain and I would like to focus what little concentration I have on my playing and performance rather than on remembering to switch the sounds I am playing live.
| 14" 2021 64 GB M1 Max MBP , OS 12.4 | 15" 2015 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 MBP, OS 11.6 | UAD Twin and x6 | Ableton Live 11 Suite v11.2